Experience w/ PZEV Warranty - 15 years/150k miles
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Experience w/ PZEV Warranty - 15 years/150k miles

Anyone with A PZEV vehicle have feedback on getting their dealer to honor the 15yr/150k mile warranty? My dealer never heard of it until today, I sent them links from Volvo's website but they seem skeptical.

If you have exercised this warranty I'm curious what sort of repairs you had done and if it was ever a hassle working with the dealer.

The description below is from the warranty booklet. It says 2009 in this case but it applies to other PZEV years too. It sounds almost too good to be true.

"Model year 2009 vehicles with engine VIN code 39 sold and registered
      in California, Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode
      Island, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Washington are classified as
      Partial Zero Emissions (PZEV) vehicles. PZEV vehicles have a defects
      and performance emissions warranty on all emissions components for
      fifteen (15) years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first."

The booklet lists everything that is covered and its basically the entire engine and exhaust up to and including the cat (page 33-34). Also covers the entire fuel system and PCV system.

https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/manuals/OwnersManual/om_id/325

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

No personal experience with the volvo one, but I did some research for my mom's BMW since it has a similar warranty on emissions related issues. I got her valve cover and gasket replaced under warranty at 85k miles. From what I've read, some dealers will try to tell you certain things aren't covered (like my local BMW dealer), but you just climb the totem pole until you find someone that knows what they are talking about. I ended up having to call BMW corporate but was worth the hassle. Im curious about this with Volvo, although my state isn't included lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
      Anyone with A PZEV vehicle have feedback on getting their dealer to honor the 15yr/150k mile warranty? My dealer never heard of it until today, I sent them links from Volvo's website but they seem skeptical.

If you have exercised this warranty I'm curious what sort of repairs you had done and if it was ever a hassle working with the dealer.

The description below is from the warranty booklet. It says 2009 in this case but it applies to other PZEV years too. It sounds almost too good to be true.

Island, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Washington are classified as
      Partial Zero Emissions (PZEV) vehicles. PZEV vehicles have a defects
      and performance emissions warranty on all emissions components for
      fifteen (15) years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first."

The booklet lists everything that is covered and its basically the entire engine and exhaust up to and including the cat (page 33-34). Also covers the entire fuel system and PCV system.

https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/manua...nual/om_id/325
      Here:

Federal EPA guidelines are 2 years and 24,000mi warranty on most of your emissions systems.

Then it goes to 8 years or 80,000mi for SOME components out of that emissions system.

Because your car is a PZEV and PZEV cars were intended to be sold in California (among other stringent places listed), California has a current law in effect that says your emissions system must be warranteed for 15 years or 150k. I am not sure where you are writing from but it is good to know. However your state may not have such stringent laws in place and may disregard the fact that it is a PZEV vehicle.

Here's the source: https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fac...rranty-periods
      Last edited by avenger09123; 10-27-2020 at 08:34 AM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
      Island, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Washington are classified as...
      So is your car a 39, sold in one of those state, and registered as well? Call Volvo corporate.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Yes, mine is a 39 engine, aka B5244S7. The vehicle was sold in and is currently registered un CA.

I reached out to Volvo USA for support.

Yup, when I had my S40 I took advantage of it. I used it to have an oxygen sensor replaced when the car was well out of the normal warranty. As with you, my dealer had never heard of it. We went back and forth and they honored it once I showed them a link on Volvo's website listing the components covered. Very few people ever use it because most don't even know that their car is covered. Most dealers don't seem aware of it either and don't know what to do when a customer brings it up. As stated before, you may have to call Volvo if they keep denying coverage. I will post the link to Volvo's list below and the dealer I took the car to was Galpin Volvo.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...ev%29-warranty
      2004 S60 2.5t (2014-2015)
      2006 S40 2.4i (2015-2016)
      2009 S80 3.2
      1966 122S

Eh...I would attribute this to more malice and less ignorance. No one gets paid immediately, paperwork to fill out to get paid, limited quantity of hours and not a blank check, etc. Coupled with customer ignorance, it is usually a win/win for the dealership. Warranties mean lose/win.

So many other things they pretend to have no clue on, on but you would never see in writing and you have to press them on before they start showing how much they actually know, it isn't a shock if they do it here too.

It was amazing at the time listening to Chevrolet tell me installing Chevrolet Stage I headers on my Chevrolet Cobalt at a Chevrolet dealership would void my warranty on install. Until you ask for it in writing and they don't give it to you. Because they know it's illegal. Casey Putsch has a video on it where he tries to get a brake module replaced at a BMW? or Mercedes? dealership replaced on a $100k+ car under an extended TSB bad part warranty and the module literally disables the brakes randomly so the car is unsafe to drive. He's on hold for HOURS, and calls back and forth for weeks.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 10-28-2020 at 10:34 AM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements