Dilemma:keep '18 XC60 T6 r-design or go for '21 T8 r-design
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Dilemma:keep '18 XC60 T6 r-design or go for '21 T8 r-design

as the title says I would appreciate some thoughts from you..
      facts are that I've got a very very good price for the '21 T8 Recharge r-design and maybe a very very good sales price for my T6.
      So,keep it or go for the T8 ?

Thank u.
      '18 XC60 T6 R-design-Polestar-Crystal pearl white-Xenium pack-winter pack-paddles-smartphone int.-high line lights-21" 255/40/21

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would but I’m T8 biased. It is an amazing blend of mechanical and electrical engineering.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

thanks.
      I would just add that the deletion from options for the paddles shifters and the 112mph speed cut off tend to be some sort of deal breaker...
      '18 XC60 T6 R-design-Polestar-Crystal pearl white-Xenium pack-winter pack-paddles-smartphone int.-high line lights-21" 255/40/21

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Legitimate question, are you regularly doing 112mph? I road trip from CA to ID occasionally and even on those long country stretches, I think I've hit 110 mph once overtaking a big rig.

I too am biased toward the T8 but I own a '21 Recharge Inscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris60 View Post
      I've got a very very good price for the '21 T8 Recharge r-design and maybe a very very good sales price for my T6.
      If you would enjoy the additional power/economy and don't value money (paying compounded depreciation on new vehicles), then yes.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Since you got a great great deal, why not.

T8 is great great great. The best way I can think to describe it is, T8 is like you get 3 cars in one, quiet EV, fuel saving, and a V8-alike power toy. Use power or hybrid/pure mode to your mood and it is always pleasure to drive.

Sensus is faster on 2021 and fuel tank is normal 18.5 gal. Nothing to lose. Still 3 years to SPA2 remodel so nothing to regret either.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 10-27-2020 at 01:47 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237344 miles [2020-10-13]

I am not doing 112 mph often but sometimes in my road trips i may hit 200kmh (please dont shoot me ..i am not in US..though)
      Assuming you drain the battery in a foad trip ,power remains more or less the same in T8??

I am not doing 112 mph often but sometimes in my road trips i may hit 200kmh (please dont shoot me ..i am not in US..though)
      Assuming you drain the battery in a foad trip ,power remains more or less the same in T8??
      When battery is low, the engine will charge it to maintain the level. You still have the 400HP power for overtaking quickly, but it won't last very long.
      200km/h is still sustainable because you don't need 400HP to keep speed at 200km/h.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      You don't need 400HP to keep speed at 200km/h.
      A wise man once said - On those infinite hills you need 400 hp continuously...Otherwise, you're lugging around "dead" battery weight.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Yep, afaik the full 400hp is always available for short bursts regardless of battery state. The engine + regenerative braking keeps a charge that's enough to handle it.

I have 1000 miles on my 2021 and I used to drive my old car in "sport" mode as a standard for the extra power but when I hit "power" mode on my Recharge, I'm often surprised at the power and switch back out Like FusionRed said, it really is the best of all of the worlds. If it's a new car you also get the federal tax credit which really helps bring that price down.

Can you confirm that no shift paddles are available in T8 ?

I would not underestimate the additional weight. The T8 might be faster, but you can feel the battery when cornering. The T6 feels a lot more nimble, imho.
      Don't get me wrong. I have gone the T8 route for our cars in the past (done with Volvo for the moment). But I would not consider it a clear dominating choice. There are tradeoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
      A wise man once said - On those infinite hills you need 400 hp continuously...Otherwise, you're lugging around "dead" battery weight.
      You do need 400HP or even more accelerating uphill to 200km/h.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VxF View Post
      I would not underestimate the additional weight. The T8 might be faster, but you can feel the battery when cornering. The T6 feels a lot more nimble, imho.
      Don't get me wrong. I have gone the T8 route for our cars in the past (done with Volvo for the moment). But I would not consider it a clear dominating choice. There are tradeoffs.
      The T8 only weighs 220kg/460lbs more than the T6. The last time I had an XC60 T6 loaner it felt lighter, but less rigid and less planted on the road. Sound dampening on the T8 is better also. The T6 didn’t have air suspension so it wasn’t a real good comparison.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Without more information as to your priorities or the deals you have (and therefore based on my priorities alone ), keep the '18 since the 2021 doesn't deliver much in addition (from my perspective).

Off course if you provide more information and the prices are very similar and you explain your priorities (performance, fuel economy, reliability, cache, long term cost, up front cost etc) then the decision might change. Please provide more context.

A two year old car is quite serviceable so its up to you if you have have discretionary funds to 'upgrade' so soon..

as the title says I would appreciate some thoughts from you..
      facts are that I've got a very very good price for the '21 T8 Recharge r-design and maybe a very very good sales price for my T6.
      So,keep it or go for the T8 ?

Thank u.
      Last edited by Iamhives; 10-28-2020 at 10:52 PM.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

i'll try to keep it short..
      the only reasons for change is that maybe I'll get good money for the sale and in the end I will cash out for the purchase no more than $5k.
      The other reason being the better standard equipment and packages I will have with the '21 and 5 year guarantee ...mine had 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      The T8 only weighs 220kg/460lbs more than the T6. The last time I had an XC60 T6 loaner it felt lighter, but less rigid and less planted on the road. Sound dampening on the T8 is better also. The T6 didn’t have air suspension so it wasn’t a real good comparison.
      I have no opinion about the T8. It's a vehicle I'll look at closely when my lease is up, for sure However, 460 pounds is hardly something I'd refer to as "only". That a HUGE difference in weight. You're talking 10 to 15 percent weight increase depending on final config. It's like adding 3 passengers.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      I have no opinion about the T8. It's a vehicle I'll look at closely when my lease is up, for sure However, 460 pounds is hardly something I'd refer to as "only". That a HUGE difference in weight. You're talking 10 to 15 percent weight increase depending on final config. It's like adding 3 passengers.
      I was just about to type the same. I can see how air vs. no-air might affect things. But, apples-to-apples, it's a big difference on how "nimble" the cars feel, especially at low speeds.

And I can see the T8 having other advantages. But there are other dis-advantages as well. In short, I think there is a reason why, after tax, you are looking at very similar prices. Because the T8 is a "different" option, not a dominant one, imho.

i'll try to keep it short..
      the only reasons for change is that maybe I'll get good money for the sale and in the end I will cash out for the purchase no more than $5k.
      The other reason being the better standard equipment and packages I will have with the '21 and 5 year guarantee ...mine had 2 years
      If the car is in dealer lot, why not give it a try. Try the pure and power mode to see if you like it.
      Also compare T8 to a more equipped new T6 with less money to see which one you like better.

I was just about to type the same. I can see how air vs. no-air might affect things. But, apples-to-apples, it's a big difference on how "nimble" the cars feel, especially at low speeds.

And I can see the T8 having other advantages. But there are other dis-advantages as well. In short, I think there is a reason why, after tax, you are looking at very similar prices. Because the T8 is a "different" option, not a dominant one, imho.
      You're gaining weight but you're gaining both torque and horsepower: additional weight is evident to most drivers in acceleration and the torque/hp helps offset that (that 4.8 0-60 is hilarious). Cornering (lateral acceleration, downforce) will feel it as well but I'd wager most drivers won't notice 476 pounds (4222 vs 4698, 11% difference) in anything excepted very spirited driving. I would expect most drivers to notice the eAWD and the front/rear bias shifts as the ICE cuts in and out to be more noticeable than downforce. If you're the kind of driver that can notice a 10% weight difference, you'll certainly notice the ICE/Hybrid cutovers first.

What I would consider is whether or not you're going to put in the effort to charge the car and whether or not you're willing to take the risk on the significantly increased maintenance complexity which will affect the longevity of the vehicle. I don't think a PHEV is worth considering from a monetary standpoint -- it's really negligible unless your electricity costs are extremely cheap and even then the range isn't significant -- and I'd think very carefully about whether or not electronic all-wheel-drive is what you're after.

YMMV. I'm happy with my T8 and I have had some great experiences with the eAWD but this will be my first winter ski season with it, so we'll see.
      Last edited by cowfootball; 10-29-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cowfootball View Post
      You're gaining weight but you're gaining both torque and horsepower: additional weight is evident to most drivers in acceleration and the torque/hp helps offset that (that 4.8 0-60 is hilarious). Cornering (lateral acceleration, downforce) will feel it as well but I'd wager most drivers won't notice 476 pounds (4222 vs 4698, 11% difference) in anything excepted very spirited driving. I would expect most drivers to notice the eAWD and the front/rear bias shifts as the ICE cuts in and out to be more noticeable than downforce. If you're the kind of driver that can notice a 10% weight difference, you'll certainly notice the ICE/Hybrid cutovers first.

What I would consider is whether or not you're going to put in the effort to charge the car and whether or not you're willing to take the risk on the significantly increased maintenance complexity which will affect the longevity of the vehicle. I don't think a PHEV is worth considering from a monetary standpoint -- it's really negligible unless your electricity costs are extremely cheap and even then the range isn't significant -- and I'd think very carefully about whether or not electronic all-wheel-drive is what you're after.

YMMV. I'm happy with my T8 and I have had some great experiences with the eAWD but this will be my first winter ski season with it, so we'll see.
      I have owned spa cars with lots of different engines - D5, T6, T6+polestar, and two T8s (between me and my better half).
      My last cars were T8s, so I guess that is where my ultimate preference lies. Ultimately, I think the benefits exceed the downsides.

But whether someone will or won't notice it... I guess it's subjective... but you have to be a pretty obtuse driver to not notice 450+ pounds, especially in a turn. You can argue that is 11% of weight, but, truth is, it is a HUGE difference, on the road. Weight distribution has a lot to do with it. Every tried adding a 200 lb box on top of your car? It's a huge difference, because of the high center of gravity. Now, I agree that the batteries don't sit on your roof... but the weight distribution of the vehicle feels completely different. I will agree YMMV - but that is why I ultimately suggested the OP should test-drive, instead of assuming they will prefer a T8.

Volvo's on snow are always a pleasure, and I don't doubt you will enjoy your T8. We are taking my GFs T8 on an Ikon-pass trip across Colorado, if covid permits, in December. But I will tell you this - on snow, nothing beats a D5. Second, I would go with a T6. The T8 drivetrain is a bit too disconnected and jerky on snow and ice, for my taste (by the way, I live between Buffalo NY and Lugano, Switzerland right now, so that gives you an idea of my driving conditions...).

but you have to be a pretty obtuse driver to not notice 450+ pounds, especially in a turn.
      I think people would notice, for sure, I just question whether or not most drivers would point out weight vs rim size, tire type, rear/front bias, etc. It's hard to find a T8 at a dealer without 20" wheels and that's going to be more noticeable IMO.

nothing beats a D5
      I'd love for a diesel option for NA but alas.

25. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements