Should I change the water pump with a timing belt??
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hey all,

My wife just bought an '06 XC90/2.5l with about 86k miles.

It looks like the timing belt has never been changed.

Should the water pump be changed when I have this done?? (She'd rather pay than have me learn how to do a timing belt on her car) 😅

The best estimate is + 200.00 for the water pump change.

Pro: you're right there already.

Con: 86k miles.

TIA

Edited: I know it's not an R, but this is where I've spent all of my time on the forum.
      Last edited by ARATA; 10-27-2020 at 07:32 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Id leave it alone. ive only seen a couple oem water pumps leak in 4 years as an adviser at volvo dealer (out of 100+ timing belt jobs). ive probably seen over a dozen aftermarket water pumps fail horribly in very short time(as little as a couple thousand miles, just did one last week on s40 that was less than a year old and about 7000 miles. bound solid and caused all kinds of internal engine problem, im sure the oem one removed was perfectly fine). these can cause timing to jump or rapid loss of coolant, half of those cars need engine repair after. take a peek when in there and if you do replace MAKE SURE ITS OEM. cant stress this enough. but dont replace it just because especially with an aftermarket one.

Water pumps on these don't have to be replaced until second t-belt change. My old 850 developed a slow leak well after 200k miles. My brother's 02 XC is still on original with $260k miles. OE 850 and P2 pumps are nearly identical and are manufactured by AISIN.
      04 V70R Red/Atacama, 100k miles, M66, Rica 2, Elevate DP and sways, JRL mod, 3"CAI, Viva CBV, Heico V's.
      06 V70R Sonicama, 135k miles, GT, MTE stage 2, IPD DP and sways, MTE catback
      07 V70R Titanium/Nordkap, 142k miles, M66, Elevate DP, Heico catback, IPD sways, PDV collar, Heico V's

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Yes. And +200 is a bit steep... it's already coming apart.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Back from Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddogger View Post
      Yes. And +200 is a bit steep... it's already coming apart.
      The volvo water pump lists 183.37 and fcp euro has it for 154.03. if paying a shop to do it, they arent going to sell it at what they buy it for, +200 sounds very reasonable to me assuming two things, it is a volvo water pump(cannot stress this enough) and it has reason to be replaced, not just because when the shop usually does a subaru or honda timing belt they replace it.

The Aisin waterpump is a volvo one with volvo ground off...
      Exponents kill

I agree. Unless it's leaking, I don't sell them until the 2nd timing belt.

Had my timing belt done at the dealership. Was shocked to see the price so low. Asked if the water pump was included and this is what I was told word for word “Oh no. We never replace those as they never fail.” Of course two years later the pump failed and dumped all of my coolant on the road while driving. The dealership would not stand by what they said about them never failing. I would recommend replacing it.
      2005 Volvo S60R | Black Sapphire Metallic | Gobi
      1996 Volvo 850 | Champagne Metallic | Tan | RIP - The thing was a tank
      1980 Volvo 242 GT | Silver | Was brought home from the hospital in that car and still have it.

There's always an outlier. Of the few I've seen leak, not one was to the point of dumping coolant all over the road.

Quote Originally Posted by ARATA View Post
      Hey all,

My wife just bought an '06 XC90/2.5l with about 86k miles.

It looks like the timing belt has never been changed.

Should the water pump be changed when I have this done?? (She'd rather pay than have me learn how to do a timing belt on her car) 😅

The best estimate is + 200.00 for the water pump change.

Pro: you're right there already.

Con: 86k miles.

TIA

Edited: I know it's not an R, but this is where I've spent all of my time on the forum.
      absolutely always, including cams and crank seal and use only OEM parts ... not only are we talking about 15 year old car but people that are doing this daily for living and are telling you not to replace it bring it back to them 6 months later if it does develop a leak...im sure they will stand by their word that they never/rarely leak and replace it for you for free, im sure ...
      2000 Toyota Tacoma
      2000 ML320
      2000 ML55 AMG
      2005 XCR90
      2006 C70
      2006 S60R - gone
      1997 Avalon - gone - son - space-force

I wish I could sell cam and crank seals for no reason. But then the same people who are skeptical of my experience stating water pumps are not a common failure would say I'm ripping them off. Can't win.

I couldn't even guess how many timing belts I've replaced in my career. I would guess I've replaced fewer than 20 water pumps for leakage. With half of those being on the SI6, which doesn't have a timing belt.

I wouldn't worry about the pump leaking. I'd worry about the bearings after 15+ years... Just like I don't worry about the timing belt rubber at 10 years as much as the bearings and tensioner.
      Exponents kill

Do it all now. It’s almost due on time. Labor is overlapping.
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 211k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 306k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 246k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 218k - Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by Goots07 View Post
      Had my timing belt done at the dealership. Was shocked to see the price so low. Asked if the water pump was included and this is what I was told word for word “Oh no. We never replace those as they never fail.” Of course two years later the pump failed and dumped all of my coolant on the road while driving. The dealership would not stand by what they said about them never failing. I would recommend replacing it.
      Ouch, that's unlucky. Generally, pumps don't destroy themselves all of a sudden. They develop small leaks as seal/bearing starts to wear out and it takes time before it leaks more and more. When coolant gets low once, it is a sign car needs to be looked at. Some people just keep adding more and more till something bad happens. I'm wondering how many miles were on yours when it failed. Was it original from factory pump or it was replaced with previous t-belt job. As others noted, there are cheap pumps out there that don't last. Most of my relatives and bunch of friends own either a P80 or P2 or both and some with lots and lots of miles for many years. None had the pump fail.
      To replace one or not, I guess depends on if work is being paid for or done by self. I personally do all work by myself and it's not a problem for me to go back and replace the pump later if it starts leaking. What I always do during t-belt change is check for play in pump's bearing and feel how it spins. If any doubts, replacing it.
      04 V70R Red/Atacama, 100k miles, M66, Rica 2, Elevate DP and sways, JRL mod, 3"CAI, Viva CBV, Heico V's.
      06 V70R Sonicama, 135k miles, GT, MTE stage 2, IPD DP and sways, MTE catback
      07 V70R Titanium/Nordkap, 142k miles, M66, Elevate DP, Heico catback, IPD sways, PDV collar, Heico V's

Quote Originally Posted by shurgen View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Goots07 View Post
      Ouch, that's unlucky. Generally, pumps don't destroy themselves all of a sudden. They develop small leaks as seal/bearing starts to wear out and it takes time before it leaks more and more. When coolant gets low once, it is a sign car needs to be looked at. Some people just keep adding more and more till something bad happens. I'm wondering how many miles were on yours when it failed. Was it original from factory pump or it was replaced with previous t-belt job. As others noted, there are cheap pumps out there that don't last. Most of my relatives and bunch of friends own either a P80 or P2 or both and some with lots and lots of miles for many years. None had the pump fail.
      To replace one or not, I guess depends on if work is being paid for or done by self. I personally do all work by myself and it's not a problem for me to go back and replace the pump later if it starts leaking. What I always do during t-belt change is check for play in pump's bearing and feel how it spins. If any doubts, replacing it.
      Unlucky indeed. It had 140kish when the pump went out. Stock pump.
      2005 Volvo S60R | Black Sapphire Metallic | Gobi
      1996 Volvo 850 | Champagne Metallic | Tan | RIP - The thing was a tank
      1980 Volvo 242 GT | Silver | Was brought home from the hospital in that car and still have it.

Thanks for all of the input.

This was a good discussion.

Might be moot.

I got a text from the sales guy that they are going to do the timing belt on their own.

He sent a copy of the "shop notes" showing the timing belt kit, plus a handful of other things we never discussed.

I've never seen a dealer work so hard to sell a cheap used car!

Quote Originally Posted by ARATA View Post
      Thanks for all of the input.

This was a good discussion.

Might be moot.

I got a text from the sales guy that they are going to do the timing belt on their own.

He sent a copy of the "shop notes" showing the timing belt kit, plus a handful of other things we never discussed.

I've never seen a dealer work so hard to sell a cheap used car!
      get ready...that just means that they are giving it to you , giving to you really good from behind.

2000 Toyota Tacoma
      2000 ML320
      2000 ML55 AMG
      2005 XCR90
      2006 C70
      2006 S60R - gone
      1997 Avalon - gone - son - space-force

👍

One of my all time favorite movies!!!!

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements