pulling to the right
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

pulling to the right

My car has been noticeably pulling to the right lately when driving. I had it aligned yesterday, and it turns out the front and rear were way out of wack. They aligned everything to spec, but it's still pulling to the right, it didn't get any better. The steering feels much more firm and stable though. Could it be the tires? or do I need it aligned again?I will post the alignment specs if necessary. thanks for any info.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: pulling to the right (s40turbo585)

I had a slight pull and I asked Midas about it. They said some tires have radial pull. I don't know what that mean. I guess the tires are just out of whack.
      2005 S40 T5 BSR Stage 3

a lot of people talked about this subject a while back... probably worth a search...

but yea, mine does the same thing, but it's mainly because the roads in Louisiana are graded towards the shoulder because of the temperate and wet climate. It usually has to do with the angle of the pavement. It gets aggravating, but hey, what can you do.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

If it began pulling just recently it's probably uneven tire wear. (I presume you've check tire inflation.)
      If it has been like this for a while, since original really, it could be cross camber or cross caster. I suggest getting these measurements for both front positions. (Toe has nothing to do with Pull, contrary to intuition.) If there is more than about 0.2 deg cross camber, or caster also I believe, it could account for it. If camber, and pulls right, I'd expect the left front to have a higher camber.

Also, a good check is to switch the front two tire/wheel assemblies. If the pull stays right, see above about cross camber/caster. If the pull changes directions you know it's a tire problem. A cheap fix is often to switch the front tires to the rear.

This past weekend I moved the top of my strut tower over about 1/8" to adjust camber on one side (hoping to negate a cross camber of 0.3 degrees. It now pulls less.) I may move it over a bit more yet.

Re: pulling to the right (steve909)

Quote, originally posted by steve909 »
      If it began pulling just recently it's probably uneven tire wear. (I presume you've check tire inflation.)
      If it has been like this for a while, since original really, it could be cross camber or cross caster. I suggest getting these measurements for both front positions. (Toe has nothing to do with Pull, contrary to intuition.) If there is more than about 0.2 deg cross camber, or caster also I believe, it could account for it. If camber, and pulls right, I'd expect the left front to have a higher camber.

Also, a good check is to switch the front two tire/wheel assemblies. If the pull stays right, see above about cross camber/caster. If the pull changes directions you know it's a tire problem. A cheap fix is often to switch the front tires to the rear.

This past weekend I moved the top of my strut tower over about 1/8" to adjust camber on one side (hoping to negate a cross camber of 0.3 degrees. It now pulls less.) I may move it over a bit more yet.

thanks for the info. I had my tires rotated(front to rear) about 2 months ago(it was pulling to the right then as well), and it didn't help anything. I had it aligned, didn't help, though the car steers better now.
      Here are the alignment specs from the shopBefore specs,if different, are in parentheses). Just thought I'd post them...
      Front Left Front Right Front
      -.7 -Camber- -1.0(-.9) Cross Camber .2(.2)
      3.7(4.0) -Caster- 3.3 (3.8) Cross Caster .5(.1)
      .10(-.19) -Toe- .09 (-.09) Total toe .19(-.28)

Rear Left Rear Right Rear
      -2.2 Camber -2.6(-2.4) Cross Camber .3(.2)
      .17 Toe .16(-.11) Total Toe .33(.06)
      Thrust Angle .01(.14)

Sorry how screwed up this came out, wasn't like this when i typed it...

Whew, my kingdom for a little formatting!

Is this correct:
      Left camber=-0.7
      Right camber=-1.0
      xcamber = 0.2 with more on the Right

xcaster = 0.5 with more on the Left?

I expect the xcamber to give a bit of LEFT pull and the xcaster to give a large amount of RIGHT pull, for a net right pull.

However, different vehicle suspension geometries will have different behaviors, so it's difficult to be quantitative. I am quite sure the signs are correct, and that your xcaster is a problem (with no simple solution). This assumes that we've ruled out tire problems - which you can confirm by putting different tires on different sides of the front positions. You already have said you did two different arrangements & the pull was not changed (I presume your comment about better steering is something other than the pull problem.) One other comment, our vehicles, with my 17" Michelin tires anyway, has quite a bit of variation in pull depending on what the road crown is (which varyies all over the place, at least where we have winters that push the pavement all over). Not muchof a problem if one has both hands on the wheel, but I find it a bit annoying sometimes. This isn't unique to our vehicles.

I also, on some occasions, get a severe pull upon mild braking. Others on the forum have apparently not experienced much of this, so I'm curious. I wonder, just speculation, if it is dependent on if there are ruts in the pavement - maybe from where heavy trucks have left their impression. When it pulls on braking I'm gonna try to make note of non-flat pavement.

If anyone else experiences this, please post.

Steve

Most roads curve to the right for water runoff (that's why water always pools by the curb), so that could possibly throw off your feeling. Try doing it in a parking lot, which is most likely flatter than a public road.

Also, when does this happen? If it occurs under hard acceleration, then it might torque steer. If it happens while cruising, then it's something else.

If you just had your alignment done, I'd like to hope it's not the issue. Of course, mechanics are people, and people screw up.

Another thing, as mentioned, would be uneven tire wear.

Re: (Raza)

Quote, originally posted by Raza »
      Most roads curve to the right for water runoff

That, and safety too. The road is actually designed to push the car to the outside.

My V50 pulls right during braking on highly crowned roads, and doesn't pull much at all normally. I suspect it's a cross-camber amplification, but it doesn't bother me. It's very slight.

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements