Warning: Re-Check Torque Specs if you Installed QBM Strut Bar Conversion & Lower Torque Mount !!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Warning: Re-Check Torque Specs if you Installed QBM Strut Bar Conversion & Lower Torque Mount !!

This is a FYI to those that installed the QBM Strut Bar Conversion & Lower Torque (Transmission) Mount. I have a 2004 GT. I have installed both the QBM Strut Bar Conversion & QBM Lower Torque (Transmission) Mount on my R, and found out tonight that all the nuts and bolts that are on the Strut Bar Conversion was loose. I orginally torqued all the bolts and nuts with a torque wrench according to QBM instructions. If those torque specs are the same as the Volvo factory, the excess vibration and force from the QBM Strut Bar Conversion & QBM Lower Torque Mountwere not factored in by the orginal Volvo engineers. THose torque specs are meant for the OEM Volvo parts that had the rubber bushing that could filter out the excess vibration and stress. I heard a slight lunge comming off a dead stop every time I hit the gas. Orginally I did not hear that sound, so I thought it was odd. You can hear it with all the windows up and the radio turned off, if your bolts and nuts are loose. So tonight, I jacked up my car and found this problem. I wanted to double check the torque on each nut and bolt and found the bolts and nuts were all loose on the Strut Bar Conversion. I am not a engineer, but I have worked with enough engineers to know that the excess vibration and stress made the bolts and nuts loose. So I went ahead and slightly over torqued every nut and bolt to compensate for the extra vibration and force. I thought I was not going to post again, not after I got ripped on for complaining about Viva Performance shipping my Strut Bar Conversion late. I still think I had a valid complaint, that was a business transaction, and what I ordered was late, but my order was 9 somthing days late. What ever the case, I am not upset with George at Viva, we are all human. Anway, to the rest of you... all of you that installed both mods, you can take my experience and do what you will, I just wantedd to post this cause I thought this was a importatnt safty factor that no one has yet to post.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Warning: Re-Check Torque Specs if you Installed QBM Strut Bar Conversion & Low ... (bouncer)

Basically George is a Volvo God. Tightening bolts at least twice is normal

Re: Warning: Re-Check Torque Specs if you Installed QBM Strut Bar Conversion & Low ... (bouncer)

I recommend loctite.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: Warning: Re-Check Torque Specs if you Installed QBM Strut Bar Conversion & Low ... (mike_c70)

i used blue loctite and torqued them once drove it for a day and then torqued it again with 5 extra lbs of torque did three clicks and pushed it an extra 10-25 degrees. hasnt loostened

Thanks for the heads up....I better go check my bolts!

Modified by llabahn at 8:39 AM 3-12-2008
      2010 XC90 V8 Ice White Executive package 125kmi Picture: http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...abahn/XC90.jpg
      2004 S60R 6MT BlackSapphire/Nordkap 130kmi....Picture: http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...10444Large.jpg

Re: Warning: Re-Check Torque Specs if you Installed QBM Stru ... (p0cket penguins)

i was just at my dealer, and i only dealt with the service manager, as he is a friend.

they offered to re torque my rear suspension, and told me that the fasteners are torque angle and require new fasteners to make it right. which they did while i watched.

i have built many race motor and we have used as of late arp head and rod bolts that are torqued and then increased to an angle tighter.

i do not know that the fasteners mentioned here are of that type but i do know that torque values are stated some where in the r forum i believe as a sticky up top.

please look into this if you have problems with fasteners getting "loose".

i have several versions of the torque angle guage from the felpro, to an arp provided. what it allows is for the first torque to be measured and then for the 'stretch' of the bolt/nut to be finalized to manufacturere spec.

that is why the are not to be reused.

hope i did not make a fool of myself here.

edit; yep it is in the quick launch thread, under torque specs, um i guess i should have remembered that. a very, very nice piece of work by all involved.

Modified by hastee at 7:47 PM 11-27-2006

Re: Warning: Re-Check Torque Specs if you Installed QBM Strut B ... (Helmut Ranff)

Quote, originally posted by Helmut Ranff »
      Basically George is a Volvo God. Tightening bolts at least twice is normal

Gees, I thougt I was.
      I said this a month ago, tighten and re torque everything.
      (My powerflex bushings also were loose along with the Evolve upper mount, etc)
      THESE R's NEED TO BE re-TORQUED every 15K or so
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 116K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 153,000 miles and still near perfect!

Re: Warning: Re-Check Torque Specs if you Installed QBM Strut B ... (JRL)

i think what is underlying the new fastener technology is that they are designed to "stretch".

they will stretch until they break. they will get looser and looser, until they do.

Were the bolts on the lower mount loose as well? Also how long did you have those mods in before the bolts went loose?

Re: Warning: Re-Check Torque Specs if you Installed QBM Strut Bar Conversion & Low ... (PhilUp)

I had my Strut Bar Conversion attached for like a month now, with no problems and after 2 days with the Lower Torque Mount on, that is when I noticed the problem. Maybe by adding the Lower Torque Mount, that the additional vibration expediated the bolts to come loose faster. What ever the case, I am going to keep check once in awhile. Just to be safe.

Thanks for the heads up. Good timing too as I'm just about to install my lower mount sometime this week.

Re: Warning: Re-Check Torque Specs if you Installed QBM Strut Bar Conversion & Low ... (PhilUp)

loctite never put a bolt on with out it

Re: Warning: Re-Check Torque Specs if you Installed QBM Stru ... (p0cket penguins)

After reading this I used red loctite...
      2007 S60R Magic blue/Atacama (my 2005 R died in accident but I didn't - hey, it's a Volvo) - MightyQ boost gauge - ADykes DRL mod - IPD track anti-sway - TKI endlinks - Elevate DP and catback - QBM front strut bar mod - Viva rear strut brace - Kicker subwoofer - More neatly piled on the garage floor (and currently not going very fast)...

Re: Warning: Re-Check Torque Specs if you Installed QBM Stru ... (rickweinstein)

So....loctite eh?

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements