George, Question about the Mac that is used for developing the site. Question for all Mac users.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

George, Question about the Mac that is used for developing the site. Question for all Mac users.

George
      I had notice a while back that the about page has a little icon at the bottom that says made and maintained on an apple or something like that. My question is do you use that machine frequently and if you do what you think of it. I am seriously considering the purchase of an iBook and want to know what you thought. For all the rest of you out there that use a Mac on a daily basis what do you think of the system. Are there drawbacks and what do those who recently switched from PC to Mac think of it?

-Poritz

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: George, Question about the Mac that is used for developing the site. Question f ... (Poritz)

Mac is actually a more stable OS than Windows. Mac will do multimedia better than a Windows PC.

The major drawback is that there is not nearly as much software out there for Mac as there is for Windows. You may have trouble finding something compatible if you try to look for games, etc.

Re: George, Question about the Mac that is used for developing the site. Question f ... (anony00gt)

Actually, I'm one of the few PC guys in our company. I'm about to be switching to a G4 though. What I hear is that it's more stable than windows, and that applications crash, but the OS doesn't. If you really want more info though, ask [email protected] .

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: George, Question about the Mac that is used for developi ... ([email protected])

Yeah that new OS X (ten) is something else from what I here. I have not much interest in games except Sim City. I do have interest in music recording/sequencing software and I know that the better stuff is available for Mac. I just wanted to get an independent response. Anyone else out there switch recently?

-Poritz

Re: George, Question about the Mac that is used for developi ... (Poritz)

So, osX is supposed to be much better than OS9.x? I use a G3 Mac at the office, and it crashes 3-4 times daily. I get regular "Application 'Logon' has faile please save your work...' and then it'll bomb out and you have to reboot, w/no time to save your work. I'd like to smash it w/my BFH and get an XP machine. Of course, it could just be that Mac's OS 9.x just sucks and OSX doesn't. I use Windows 4-Win2000 Servers, 3-XP stations) machines at home and have no issues w/the systems.

Re: George, Question about the Mac that is used for developi ... (javadoc)

OS X is Unix based so the OS itself won't crash if an application freezes on you. It depends on what applicaion is crasing when you are running OS 9.x and what your configuration is (total memory avaliable, memory allocated to the applications, etc..). I have not played with OS X recently (last version was the Public Beta that I ran) but have seen it in action. It's real stable..couldn't get it to crash with the things I was doing (video editing, photoshopping, etc..)

I'm primary a PC guy but I have tons of knowledge about Macs. Always had to support both platforms in most of my jobs I've had.

One of the companies that I consult with at the moment is going from Macs to PCs due to everyone else in the industry (Bitotech) using PCs versus Macs. If you do convert to Macs, you may have an issue sending files to PC users.

If anyone has a lead on a tech support/NT sys admin position in the Boston area, I'm looking

RJ

~~~~~
      Ron
      2000 V70R with some simple mods | RIP
      2008 XC70

Re: George, Question about the Mac that is used for developi ... (Volvo Grrrr)

Thanks everyone. About trouble sending documents why would there be an issue? A word doc is a word doc right? So long as the versions that edit it are fairly up to date (office2000+) then there should be no issue. I know for a fact that I have never had issues with midi files, and mp3s. The music school is strictly mac and I have never had much issue opening them on my Dell. But those are the only things that I have ever had to deal with. I'm sure that those file types are some of the most common so the transfer issues were most likely worked out quite a while ago. I bet there are a lot of more technical files that won't transfer as well.

I am quite knowledgable about PC hardware and system building but I always left the software stuff to a friend. I looking forward to seeing what the new AMD 64bit chip will do, but I'm not holding my breath. I understand AMD has been having some sales and profitability issues in the last months (I'm sure Dec was a bit better) and I hope that for the sake of competion and innovation that AMD does not go under.

So back on topic, if anyone else has switched tell me how its been.

-Poritz

With the issues I've seen, the Mac guys will send out a doc via e-mail to a PC user and they sometimes won't be able to read it (the Mac guys are using Office 98). On the Mac side, they need to include the extension (.doc, .xls, etc..) and not have any illegal characters in the name. The other issues can be document formatting and font substituions. A document formatted perfectly on a Mac sometimes won't come out as you think on the PC and vice versa. Also there are some fonts that are platform specific and they will be substitued and may not look like the original document.

Those are some of the major issues that I've see while sharing documents between PCs and Macs.

RJ

~~~~~
      Ron
      2000 V70R with some simple mods | RIP
      2008 XC70

Re: George, Question about the Mac that is used for developi ... (Volvo Grrrr)

ah good to know. What have others found.

-Poritz

I use both Mac and W2K/XP.
      I started using OS X when the beta came out and have been working full time on X since Photoshop was available.
      I use 3 Macs, 1 iMac 17"LCD which is a very complete machine, 1 Ti400 Powerbook and at the office I use a Cube with a 1600X1024 SGI flatpanel.
      I also use 2 Wintel laptops and one XP dual proc desktop but dust is growing on them
      It's not about better or worse, it's about a way of life and I always choose Mac over Wintel because I LIKE IT.
      OS X is getting better each day, it follows the standards and can do everything you need for internet usage out of the box because it is running the internet system UNIX.
      For every Mac app you can get 10-20 Wintel apps and Wintel machine's can be as solid as Mac's with OS 10 but it takes a lot of maintanance and good choice of hardware to do so.
      It's all about personal preference but the days that Mac people were completely locked out of the mainly Wintel world are over.
      OS X is different and you have to like it.
      It's not 100% there yet interface wise but the underlayer is as flexible as UNIX and Linux because it's the same breed.
      '17 Volvo S60 Polestar '15 XC60T5 Polestarised

Re: George, Question about the Mac that is used for developi ... (Johann)

I have XP Pro on my machine, its self is very stable, but its some apps that can cause crashes. For a server, I'd say Linux is the best.
      Current: Red on Black 1998 S70 T5A
      Previous: Black on Black 1994 944T

Re: George, Question about the Mac that is used for developi ... (omega6_virus)

I've been talking to a longtime friend of mine who works at NASA doing computer work and he has just purchased an iBook and told me he will never go back. This all came as a surprise to me. He and I used to speak frequently about the computer industry. We never once spoke of Macs and then one day I said I was getting fed up with my pc and I didn't know what I was going to do. He said that he felt the same way a month ago (at the time it was a month ago) and ordered the iBook in a fit of frustration hoping that it would be better. He told me everything was great about it and that he had yet to turn back. Now I asked him last week (now 7 or 8 months since the purchase) and he still says that he likes it.

Now this almost sounds like one of the new Apple adverts and so I am begining to wonder if the commercials are more accurate than they seem.

Anyone else?

-Poritz

I have always been a PC user through and through. My dad and I have been building them since the 286 days, and so I'm bias in that way. I live in dorms here in Santa Barbara so I'm exposed to all sorts of computers. From my experience Macs seem to be great as long as you have a PC around. Its like a Mazda Miata, in that sense. Fun as hell until you have to use the trunk. Macs just don't support nearly the amount of software that Windows does. If you wanted to be really adventerous you could give Linux a try. I did...long story short, now I run windows 2000. Linux is very very different. In terms of stability, I format my hard drive and reinstall windows every 7 months or so, or whenever it becomes remotely unstable. My computer hasn't frozen since my last format about 3 months ago, so I'm still in good shape. Windows does slowly deteriorate, and cleaning the harddrive is cheaper than buying a whole new computer.

In terms of the sound industry Macs are defenetly supposed to be better for music recording. Everyone I know with Protools has a Mac to run. I've yet to see it run on PC, however, so I'm not to sure about the claim that it is unstable on PC's.

Essentially I would consider a Mac only if I had a decently up to date PC machine to use in case I wanted to do something unMac friendly, like filesharing programs etc. I know you can get Windows emulators for Macs but then I'm forced to ask what's the point? A slower version of windows for more money? Drive the Miata in the summer, but feel safe to know you've got the V70 in the garage.

Scott K.
      Santa Barbara, Ca
      1970 1800e for sale!
      [email protected]

Re: George, Question about the Mac that is used for developi ... (stumy)

I also gave linux a try, about a year and a half ago. I am just now getting over the indigestion that experiment gave me. All I want to do is surf the web, write some stuff and deal with Midi. I can use Safari for the web, openoffice for the office suite, and a whole host of available stuff for music. I think I am set. I am not convinced I need an iBook yet so I will wait.

-Poritz

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements