Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DISABLE DRL

HOW CAN I DISABLE DAY TIME RUNNING LAMPS? IT'S MESSING MY BULBS

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Your dealer can reprogram your computer to disable your DRL's. I've had mine done and I like having the control over the lights.

FYI...once reprogrammed, you can leave the switch in the "on" position and the lights operate exactly the same as the DRL's (switching on and off with the key).

[This message has been edited by ch7656 (edited 05-27-2001).]

I second the motion.

- Darell

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

quote:
      Originally posted by ch7656:
      Your dealer can reprogram your computer to disable your DRL's. I've had mine done and I like having the control over the lights.

FYI...once reprogrammed, you can leave the switch in the "on" position and the lights operate exactly the same as the DRL's (switching on and off with the key).

Was there a cost associated with the dealer making this change? If so, do you mind saying how much?

Yes, this is what I need! How much does this cost?

Interestingly, I know of several people who've had this done, and none of us were charged. I don't know if it's a fluke or what. I think if the car is in for anything else that needs VADIS hooked up, it is very simply to change (no software down load, just a soft switch thrown).

So, free here, by YMMV. Just call and ask.

- Darell

I just called my dealer to ask for the DRL disabling, and they wanted $90. It seems like more and more dealers are charging money for it. What dealers don't anymore? If got your DRL disabled for free, could you list your city, maybe it's close to here.

I cannot understand why people value a few bulbs higher than their car or their life - DRLs are there to make you more conspicuous and less likely to have an accident; which is why the safety-conscious Volvo pioneered their use in the first place.

If you have a crash with your DRLs disabled, your insurer may well say - with reason - that you contributed to the accident by altering the manufacturer's specification.

So you'll have a large hole in your wallet as well as in your Volvo; remember that when you next change your bulbs.

Incidentally I've never had to change a running bulb in any of my Volvos, despite have the running lights on all the time; perhaps there's another reason for frequent replacement?

I don't like my DRLs because I am in the military and when I enter the base at night and try to turn off my light, I can't. It is a safety issue, because a vehicle with it's lights on will blind the security personnel and they cannot see the people inside until you are next to them.

quote:
      Originally posted by bfavre4:
      I just called my dealer to ask for the DRL disabling, and they wanted $90. It seems like more and more dealers are charging money for it. What dealers don't anymore? If got your DRL disabled for free, could you list your city, maybe it's close to here.

There is a charge from the factory to the Retailer for the download of the necessar software, so it is only fair for someone to pay for that...

Yannis

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2020 V90 T6 AWD R-design Crystal White M, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, 20" wheels, Polestar optimization

quote:
      Originally posted by sappstuf:
      I don't like my DRLs because I am in the military and when I enter the base at night and try to turn off my light, I can't. It is a safety issue, because a vehicle with it's lights on will blind the security personnel and they cannot see the people inside until you are next to them.

All you have to do is move the light switch from 12 o'clock to 10 o'clock; only your parking lights will be on and you can approach or proceed through the gate without blinding anyone. The DRLs may save your life someday...

Yannis

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2020 V90 T6 AWD R-design Crystal White M, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, 20" wheels, Polestar optimization

Re: (GrecianVolvo)

I hate them. I think that being able to turn them off, should be an option available to anyone. I appreciate the added safety they can provide and would leave them on much of the time, but I would appreciate being able to turn them off when desired.

Re: (Simon Linton)

[QUOTE=Simon Linton

If you have a crash with your DRLs disabled, your insurer may well say - with reason - that you contributed to the accident by altering the manufacturer's specification.

?[/QUOTE]

Absolute BULL SH&&

Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 117K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 158,000 miles and still near perfect!

Re: (bfavre4)

Dealer should not charge as this is in your owners manual.
      (If you all ever bothered to read it, it says ask the dealer to disable them if you don't want them)
      JRL
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 117K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 158,000 miles and still near perfect!

Re: (JRL)

good information.....thanks

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
      (If you all ever bothered to read it, it says ask the dealer to disable them if you don't want them)
      JRL

I think I read in another thread that did not come up in the search for DRL that there is an "adjustment period" after purchase during which such changes will be made without charge. How long is this period, and where is this information to be found should I need to quote it to a service writer?

drls are a option. there is no insurance company that is going to deny you coverage if you do not have them on. there are millions of vehicles without this high tech piece of technology.

the next thing is nothing is free, you will pay one way or another. i think that alot of volvo shops have people willing to pay for "software". that is b.s. !! call it labor!! that is what it is. intelectual labor, physical labor, i hate you and want you to pay labor!! what ever it is labor.

JRL

This does not appear in the 2005 V70 manual. There is only the statement that "Volvo recommends the use of daytime running lights." So, lest the question be overlooked, I ask again:

I think I read in another thread that did not come up in the search for DRL that there is an "adjustment period" after purchase during which such changes will be made without charge. How long is this period, and where is this information to be found should I need to quote it to a service writer?

I would also get the default on the dome lights toggled to "off."

Re: (Simon Linton)

Quote, originally posted by Simon Linton »
      I cannot understand why people value a few bulbs higher than their car or their life - DRLs are there to make you more conspicuous and less likely to have an accident; which is why the safety-conscious Volvo pioneered their use in the first place.

So you'll have a large hole in your wallet as well as in your Volvo; remember that when you next change your bulbs.

Incidentally I've never had to change a running bulb in any of my Volvos, despite have the running lights on all the time; perhaps there's another reason for frequent replacement?

Oh stop it.
      This is a post how to disable not your POV which has been discussed here for the last two years, ad nauseum
      Dealers are NOT supposed to charge

Oh stop it.
      This is a post how to disable not your POV which has been discussed here for the last two years, ad nauseum
      Dealers are NOT supposed to charge

If someone posts "How can I kill myself?" questions, would you expect us to only post with helpful advice? Sorry, but some of us, when we read people trying to accomplish something reckless and unsafe, will attempt to convince them not to do such a thing. Deal with it.

And to the guy needing to approach a military base with his lights off, switch to your parking lights, I doubt those are bright enough to "blind" anyone.

2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

Re: (Warpedcow)

Quote, originally posted by Warpedcow »

Sorry, but some of us, when we read people trying to accomplish something reckless and unsafe, will attempt to convince them not to do such a thing.

Get a grip!!!

It is neither reckless nor unsafe to disable DRL's. Are you making the ridiculous suggestion that all the other cars which do not have DRLs are inherently unsafe?

Some people don't want DRLs. It is a personal choice (not a safety one) since DRLs can only, at the very best, be an aid to safety and not a safety feature per se. If someone hits you because they didn't see you then they wouldn't have seen you with or without DRLs.

personally i would like to have my drls turned off when i sneak up on crazy swedespeed members...lol

speaking of "how can i kill myself" this could be a very interesting off topic post. you would have to be creative so i will go first!!
      tripple whopper with extra cheese (6 slices) and bacon(6 slices) w/heavy mayo!! lol once a day for 3 years...lol

or until heart stops.

Re: (ch7656)

The minor caveat to leaving the switch "on" all the time once DRLs are disabled, is that some vehicles will not switch off the headlamps during engine cranking. This might be essential to those of us living in colder climates as the winter approaches (not me anymore, fortunately).

The SAAB and Subarus with "DRL alternatives" I've driven in the past have exhibited this behaviour, whereas real DRLs briefly switch off, during engine cranking....

Quote, originally posted by ch7656 »

Re: (surfcity)

Quote, originally posted by surfcity »

"Dealer should not charge as this is in your owners manual."

This does not appear in the 2005 V70 manual. There is only the statement that "Volvo recommends the use of daytime running lights."

I had my DRLs disabled today. The service writer quoted $90+ for labor, plus an additonal charge for the software. After considerable discussion involving higher-ups, it was decided that for a new buyer there would be no charge, but it would be billed to the sales department since the car was delivered with a provision unsatisfactory to the purchaser. It was free to me, but not altogether free. This "policy(?)" was unknown (?) to the service personnel (although the asst, service manager thought "there might be one free upgrade during the break-in period (whatever that is), "but he would have to check with his boss, who freely okayed it). It pays to be insistent, but I have to wonder how many haven't been.

Expect to pay about $50.
      there is not a software charge for this, just labor.

i went to the chiropractor yesterday, and asked for a quick adjustment, and guess what?? they charged me!! freaking scandalous bastards.

Re: (surfcity)

Quote, originally posted by surfcity »

I had my DRLs disabled today. The service writer quoted $90+ for labor, plus an additonal charge for the software. After considerable discussion involving higher-ups, it was decided that for a new buyer there would be no charge, but it would be billed to the sales department since the car was delivered with a provision unsatisfactory to the purchaser. It was free to me, but not altogether free. This "policy(?)" was unknown (?) to the service personnel (although the asst, service manager thought "there might be one free upgrade during the break-in period (whatever that is), "but he would have to check with his boss, who freely okayed it). It pays to be insistent, but I have to wonder how many haven't been.

There is a period of cover on new cars. According to my dealer (UK), replacement flat blade wipers are free until the first service! Apparently they are having a lot of trouble with them....

Re: (zygote)

Quote, originally posted by zygote »

It is neither reckless nor unsafe to disable DRL's. Are you making the ridiculous suggestion that all the other cars which do not have DRLs are inherently unsafe?

Safety is not a binary state. All driving involves risk - driving involves varying degrees of safety or lack thereof. Driving with headlights on all the time (DRLs) increases visibility of your car to everyone else on the road, reducing the likelihood of an accident. Removing DRLs, or turning off your lights, makes you less visible, increasing odds of an accident. So yes, removing DRLs makes you "less safe".

Some people don't want DRLs. It is a personal choice (not a safety one) since DRLs can only, at the very best, be an aid to safety and not a safety feature per se.

If you've ever tried to pass cars on a two-lane-highway, I'm sure you realize it's much easier to see cars coming 1/2 mile or more away if their lights are on. What is the difference between an aid to safety and a safety feature anyway? Insurance companies reduce your premium for having DRLs (and I'm sure they'd love to know that you disabled yours!)

If someone hits you because they didn't see you then they wouldn't have seen you with or without DRLs.

That's just a silly statement. If you've ever tried to pass cars on a two-lane highway, I'm sure you realize it's much easier to see cars coming 1/2 mile or more away if their lights are on.

2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

If Insurance companies reduce your premium for having DRLs (and I'm sure they'd love to know that you disabled yours!)

They don't. Where did you come up with THAT novel statement

They don't. Where did you come up with THAT novel statement

Gee, only the Insurance Information Institute.

http://www2.iii.org/individuals/auto/b/savemoney/

"Before you buy a new or used car, check into insurance costs. Your premium is based in part on the car’s sticker price, the cost to repair it, its overall safety record, and the likelihood of theft. Many insurers offer discounts for features that reduce the risk of injuries or theft. These include air bags, anti-lock brakes, DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS and anti-theft devices. Some states require insurers to give discounts for cars equipped with air bags or anti-lock brakes. "

I mean come on, a quick google search finds the above link and many other supporting my assertion.

Gee, only the Insurance Information Institute.

http://www2.iii.org/individuals/auto/b/savemoney/

"Before you buy a new or used car, check into insurance costs. Your premium is based in part on the car’s sticker price, the cost to repair it, its overall safety record, and the likelihood of theft. Many insurers offer discounts for features that reduce the risk of injuries or theft. These include air bags, anti-lock brakes, DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS and anti-theft devices. Some states require insurers to give discounts for cars equipped with air bags or anti-lock brakes. "

I mean come on, a quick google search finds the above link and many other supporting my assertion.

Well, Chubb, Allstate and State farm do not, not in their options

Re: (banana123angel)

At times many have failed to see me on the road and if my DRL's were not on who knows. Volvo's goal is saftey and that had a major impact for me to purchace my 2004 NA.

Cheers

Re: (gray60)

The value of lights in the daytime depends on where and when you drive. If you live in high latitudes where the nights are long and the days are in twilight you need them at all times. If you drive in rain or fog or snow you need them. If you drive isolated narrow winding rural roads where oncoming drivers might not see you coming, you need them. If you are so absent minded that you forget to turn them on even at night, you need them. If you drive a lot in broad daylight in city traffic or on freeways (as I do) where you can be rearended by inattentive drivers who see your taillights on and don't notice when you step on your brakes, you'd darn well better have the option of turning them off. A responsible driver should know when he needs lights in daytime and when he doesn't, and can turn them on when he does.

In California it is now required by law to turn on your lights anytime your windshield wipers are needed - if this is adopted bv enough other states, lights and wipers will probably eventually be linked automatically, and that makes perfect sense, as do the light sensors that turn the lights on automatically at low ambient light levels. The main reason that DRLs were first put on North American cars a few years ago was that they were required on new cars sold in Canada.

Lights on with wipers is also a state law in Georgia.

Personally, I just leave mine in the 12 O'Clock position and forget about it.

Re: (xole)

Quote, originally posted by xole »
      Lights on with wipers is also a state law in Georgia.

Also a law in MN, though many still do not do it.

Quote, originally posted by xole »

Personally, I just leave mine in the 12 O'Clock position and forget about it.

Yep that's what I do. Set it and forget it.

Safety is not a binary state. All driving involves risk - driving involves varying degrees of safety or lack thereof. Driving with headlights on all the time (DRLs) increases visibility of your car to everyone else on the road, reducing the likelihood of an accident. Removing DRLs, or turning off your lights, makes you less visible, increasing odds of an accident. So yes, removing DRLs makes you "less safe".

I'm not saying that safety is a binary state, just that daytime running lights are not going to significantly decrease your chances of having an accident. Driver responsibility has much more to do with that and if an un-aware driver ploughs into my car then the DRLs wouldn't have prevented it. Seriously, you would have to be a very careless driver to not notice an S60, they're not exactly small. Which comes back to the point that if you have a prang during daylight hours, it's exremely unlikely that DRLs would have prevented it.

Quote »
      If you've ever tried to pass cars on a two-lane-highway, I'm sure you realize it's much easier to see cars coming 1/2 mile or more away if their lights are on. What is the difference between an aid to safety and a safety feature anyway?

It's also more difficult to guage the distance of a car with it's lights on during broad daylight, making overtaking potentially more difficult. An aid to safety could be something like the seatbelt warning sound/light. The seatbelts themselves are a safety feature.

Quote »
      Insurance companies reduce your premium for having DRLs (and I'm sure they'd love to know that you disabled yours!)

That's simply not an issue in the UK, our insurance companies take a realistic and level-headed approach to what constitutes premium-reducing features of a car, and DRLs aren't significant enough. I know, I asked.

I still think it's more up to personal choice than out-and-out safety. Volvo used to put a small switch on the side of the headlight switch so that owners could turn them off if they so desired for this reason.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast