DISABLE DRL - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DISABLE DRL

Re: (xole)

Also in PA and in FL but this isn't the point
      DRL's are GOOD for brain dead drivers who do not turn their lights on when necessary, (all of the above reasons stated) but MY point is that it should be up to the individual driver not a 1984 state that forces one to have them on.
      The other real good reason is that on Volvos (and no other car that I can think of) is when the DRLs are on, ALL the lights are on and as we all know Volvos blow bulbs on a regular basis.
      Now, if JUST the headlights were on (as they should be and as they are on ALL other cars) I wouldn't take such a hard nosed position

Quote, originally posted by xole »
      Lights on with wipers is also a state law in Georgia.

Personally, I just leave mine in the 12 O'Clock position and forget about it.

Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 117K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 158,000 miles and still near perfect!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: (zygote)

Quote, originally posted by zygote »

It's also more difficult to guage the distance of a car with it's lights on during broad daylight, making overtaking potentially more difficult.

I disagree, in my experience, it's much easier to gauge an oncoming car's distance AND ESPECIALLY SPEED when their lights are ON in the daytime.

2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

Re: (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

The other real good reason is that on Volvos (and no other car that I can think of) is when the DRLs are on, ALL the lights are on and as we all know Volvos blow bulbs on a regular basis.
      Now, if JUST the headlights were on (as they should be and as they are on ALL other cars) I wouldn't take such a hard nosed position

Except that when the taillights do NOT come on with DRLs, then people drive at night with just DRLs on instead of full headlights, and they have no taillights on, and you end up rearending them. I've seen MANY GM cars that do this, it's WELL after sunset, dark enough that EVERYONE would turn their headlights on, but just enough ambient light to keep them in DRL mode, and people practically run them over because they have no taillights.

2002 S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust || 2006 S60R 6M Sonic Blue (Saved My Life), 2:03.5 at BIR long course, 2:00 at BIR short course, My HD Trackday Videos, Loud enough for ya? || 2007 S80 V8 (SOLD), 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 XC70 T6, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar, IPD Photo Contest Winner in 2015 and 2016, Dragon Slayer || 2015.5 XC70 T6 Polestar Tuned || 2015.5 V60 P* #46/80

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

i turned mine off because i got sick of replacing bulbs all the freakin time. thats it.

if someones gonna hit me, they will....

Re: (surfcity)

Quote, originally posted by surfcity »
      I think I read in another thread that did not come up in the search for DRL that there is an "adjustment period" after purchase during which such changes will be made without charge. How long is this period, and where is this information to be found should I need to quote it to a service writer?

Since no one ever answered this directly: I was quoted a one year adjustment period from the date of purchase by the sales rep. I have not gone through the owner's manual to see if this is in writing.

This adjustment period would cover you for anything like DRL's, heated seat adjustments, etc. (the salesman even suggested I get a new set of wipers before year end under this program). I had several things done free of charge in this period, though I opted not to disable the DRLs.

Nautic Blue 2004 V70 T5M (Quaife LSD, IPD Stage 1, IPD sways + end links, Eibach springs + Bilstein HD Sport struts)

Re: (VTT5)

Shop around. I use an indy Volvo garage, and he does little stuff like this for me gratis - and in return he gets my customer loyalty. Of the three Volvo dealerships in my area, one of them has a similar policy (and a very busy service department).

DRL's are known to reduce accidents in high latitude countries with a preponderance of two-lane (or less) rural roads and frequent white-out conditions. DRL's have been made a requirement in these countries. Norway, Sweden, Canada come to mind. In the US, the proven value of DRLs has been in reducing pedestrian accidents(!), and some states have statistics showing that headlights on certain two-lane roads absolutely reduce daytime collisions (Rt. 101 in NH is a good example).

Not all such features will be considered discountable safety equipment for insurance purposes due to uneven performance. DRLs in some locations probably have no measurable effect. Another good example is ABS: they work great on wet pavement, but are much less effective on dry pavement so hence are not required, and usually don't qualify for an insurance discount. Of course, some features work across the board and either get discounts (LoJack, OnStar) or even become required by law (seat belts, driver airbags).

I miss my S70 where I could have my DRLs on all the time at 9:00 and the dash lights would be off, and at 12:00 with dash lights on. Can I get this done to my S60?

Re: (exodus)

Quote, originally posted by exodus »
      I miss my S70 where I could have my DRLs on all the time at 9:00 and the dash lights would be off, and at 12:00 with dash lights on. Can I get this done to my S60?

Why would you want to turn your dash lights off anyway? You can at least turn the brightness of them way down if you need to...

because volvo bulbs go out all the freakin time.

Re: (garbergtsi)

I learned from an electrical engineer (my Dad) that if you run things at less than full power they last longer. Take those pesky S70 instrument panel backlights. I ran the instrument panel on my S70 at just a shade under full power (and when I thought of it, way down in broad daylight) and never changed a one of them. 200K miles. And I ran DRLs.

My wife, on the other hand, keeps hers at full power and recently had a couple changed - costly on the S/V70 - even though her car had half the mileage as mine and is a year newer.

Re: (graffito)

My electrician also told me the same thing.
      I have EVERY bulb in my house on dimmers and run them anywhere from 50 to 95%.
      Rarely change bulbs anymore
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 117K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 158,000 miles and still near perfect!

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, and I do hope that no one will resume bickering about the merits of DRLs, but I have a question. I had the dealership disable my drl's today and now when I turn the switch to "0" all the exterior lights turn off. The other 2 switch positions still behave as before. However, the interior dash lights remain lit, day or night, regardless of whether or not the exterior lights are on or off. Is this normal, or should they turn off at some point. This is in my 2004 S60 2.5T. Thanks!

Dash is always lit, but they change brightness using the light sensor next to the alarm LED on the center of the dash I think.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70 2.5T - Ice White - Oak Arena, (almost) bone stock daily driver.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car. No mods unless she does 'em herself.

Ok, that's what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure. I tried last night shining a flashlight on the area near the alarm LED and nothing changed on the dash. Did all S60s have ambient light sensors? Or is mine broken?

1) dealer and software upgrade

2) my mod for this if you want into the wiring
      http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...60-drl-switch/
      04' S60 N/A - CX Racing Coilovers, 17x9+5mm rear, EST Catback, Sport Lip, Intake, Custom Grille, Pioneer Double Din

I just manually run parking lights.

You can use VIDA and there is no software download needed to disable DRL. Using VIDA go to Vehicle Communication/ CEM/ Advanced/ Program CEM Module. You just have to click through a few questions and No More DRL. Its Easy and Free if you have a copy of VIDA and a Dice
      2011 S60 T6 Ember Black/Off Black, P* Tune, TDI-Tuning Box, DO88 Intercooler, IPD DP, Simons Sport Exhaust, IPD rear sway bar, H&R Springs, Bilstein B8's, 19" Polestar Wheels, 90mm Wheel Studs

It also bemoans the Volvo brand not to have your DRL's on all the time. Why would you own a Volvo and not taking advantage of a proven safety feature? Might as well not wear seat belts because that's another proven safety feature that is up to a driver to put on (illegal or not).
      Moderator @ Volvoxc.com. Sold my XC70 to a nice couple.

There are many ways to disable DRLs

1) Manually disable them
      2) Using software program
      Vida Dice is the best choice for Volvo vehicles
      Here is the step-by-step instructions
      http://sarlfabio.wordpress.com/2014/...lm327-scanner/
      If you have not got dice, you still have another options: cheap Bluetooth OBD scan tool
      Another way of disabling DRLs with cheap scanner
      http://blog.aobd2shop.com/how-to-dis...lvo-vida-dice/

EDIT: If it is illegal to load the links, plz remove it. After all, I am offering solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Linton View Post
      I cannot understand why people value a few bulbs higher than their car or their life - DRLs are there to make you more conspicuous and less likely to have an accident; which is why the safety-conscious Volvo pioneered their use in the first place.

If you have a crash with your DRLs disabled, your insurer may well say - with reason - that you contributed to the accident by altering the manufacturer's specification.

So you'll have a large hole in your wallet as well as in your Volvo; remember that when you next change your bulbs.

Incidentally I've never had to change a running bulb in any of my Volvos, despite have the running lights on all the time; perhaps there's another reason for frequent replacement?

Why have a switch that does nothing but change the way the high beams work?

Sometimes you want to run you car without driving with your lights off, I.e. picking up a kid you are waiting for without shining your light in the dance studio, working on the car while running, warming up the car. There is no reason to have drl for many reasons. Can always turn them on. The option is nice.

I have a question. If you turn DRL off in Vida and have them on manually, will the headlights turn off as you turn the ignition off, or you need to turn them off manually ?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange View Post
      I have a question. If you turn DRL off in Vida and have them on manually, will the headlights turn off as you turn the ignition off, or you need to turn them off manually ?
      Wow, this thread is like 6 years old.

I had drl disabled on my 01 and it was fine.
      If you left the switch on and turned the car off they turned off properly, volvo is smart enough there.
      Never bothered turning them off on my 09
      The classic cruiser, 1972 164E, Alpine Blue Metallic.
      The new daily, 2011 XC60 T6 AWD, Terra Bronze Metallic.

Previous:
      2009 S60 2.5T AWD, Ice White, Shark Stage 1
      2001 S60 fwd

For the most current photos of the day, find me on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Orange View Post
      The only position that the lights are on with ignition off is park light position no matter DRL of any setting or normal off, park, headlight settings. All my Volvo vehicle are DRL off in 0 position. Sometimes I run with them on.

I turned them off in VIDA on my '04 since I was previously running aftermarket HIDs and it'll shorten the bulb life to double fire them like would be done when you start the car and I hear that isn't the best thing to do for the ballasts either.
      2004 S60 2.5T - Stock for now...

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2