SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

V70 Model Information

33K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  luucidd 
#1 ·
V70 Model Line Information

I put a thread together in the 800 series forum for model information. I was hoping to do the same in the second gen V70 forum. Take a look at the 800 model info post and reply if you have any similar info you want me to add to this post.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=14333

After I add your information I will delete your post to keep the thread clean.

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* This information is only accurate for the U.S. market, different markets had different configurations.

In addition to this information there is a wiki article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_V70

Volvo Cars Owner information here: http://www.volvocars.us/tools/OwnersInfo

The second gen V70 series was available in the U.S. for 7 years.
It was available in 6 trim levels over the 7 years.
We will refer to these trim levels as follows:

Variant 1 - Base
Variant 2 - low pressure turbo
Variant 3 - high pressure turbo
Variant 4 - AWD
Variant 5 - XC
Variant 6 - R

Please let me know if any of this information is not accurate.

Engine Information:

2.4 -
168 hp
Superior fuel economy
Continuously variable valve timing
Advanced emission control

2.4T -
197 hp

2.5T -
208 hp / 236 lb-ft @ 1500 - 4500 rpm
Dual continuously variable valve timing

T5 -
247hp

R -
300 hp / 295 lb-ft @ 1950 - 5250 rpm
Double overhead camshafts, 20 valves
Dual Intercoolers

Stereo Information:
Speaker sizes
Head Unit models

Common Problems & Recalls:

2001 -
Variant 1 - Base - 2.4 non-turbo
Variant 2 - 2.4T - 2.4 low pressure turbo
Variant 3 - T5 - high pressure turbo
Variant 5 - XC - 2.4 low pressure turbo + AWD

2002 - Non XC AWD trim introduced.
Variant 4 - 2.4T AWD - 2.4 low pressure turbo + AWD
Variant 5 - XC AWD - 2.4 low pressure turbo + AWD

2003 - The AWD system was updated for 2003+ to a newer haldex electronic system. The AWD models got a displacement bump from 2.4 to 2.5 Liters. The V70XC AWD was renamed to the XC70 AWD.
Variant 4 - 2.5T AWD - 2.5 low pressure turbo + AWD
Variant 5 - XC AWD - 2.5 low pressure turbo + AWD

2004 - The R trim level was introduced. The 2.4T was updated to 2.5T for the non-AWD model.
Variant 2 - 2.5T - 2.5 low pressure turbo
Variant 4 - 2.5T AWD - 2.5 low pressure turbo + AWD
Variant 6 - R AWD - 2.5 high pressure turbo + AWD

2005 - The 2.5T AWD trim was dropped.
New center stack dash layout, new cup holder design for front passengers

2006 - The T5 was dropped for '06?

2007 -
XC70 has gauges similar to the R but with a black face.
Front side blinkers are now integrated into the mirror housings

Please contribute!

See less See more
#2 ·
First COOOL!!!

Head Units:
HU-613 1 cd 1 tape with hidden equalizer
HU-803 Pro-logic 4 cd with hidden equalizer menue
HU-805 Pro-logic 6 cd with no (known) hidden equalizer

Amps:
The HU-803 and HU-805 use external amp located under passenger seat. Two types, one is PA200(amp) and PA300(amp). 4ohm speakers should be used as these are rumored to be weak. I used 8ohm, but don't seriously crank tunes.

Door Panel:
Two styles, the premium had place for 3 speakers in door. The other had place for 2.
Speakers:
There was low end, mid quality, and highest quality. Highest was Harmon Kardon 4ohm (I am pretty sure) with 3 speakers in front door panel, mid were no-name 8ohm ( I had these, replaced with Infinities 8ohm, should have used 4 ohm as amp is pretty weak I am told), and low ends I know nothing about. Note: If moving to surround sound adding center speaker, there is a plastic tray that can be removed and forms a speaker mount if "adjusted". There is also a thread in the audio section with tons of part/description info...

Best,
Carl

#4 ·
Re: V70 Model Line Information (Kaizai)

'06 had T5 in the S60. I apologize in advance if this information is useless in a V70 FAQ (which I overlooked)

http://www.scandinavianimports...63732

"06 S60 T5 #2425 (Titanuim Gray Pearl) Limited Edition T5 "Dynamic Edition" which includes "Cassopia" wheels and chrome mirror caps and door handles and sport mats and Dolby surround sound Pro Logic II HU-80X 225 watt CD radio WITH SIRIUS radio, 257hp high output engine,.."

#6 ·
Some More T5 Details:

ENGINE- B5234 T3
2.3L
20 valve
Max Torque- 243 ft lbs @ 2400-2500rpm
Bore- 3.19" (81mm)
Stroke- 3.54" (90mm)
Compression Ratio- 8.5 : 1
]Firing Order- 1-2-4-5-3

TRANSMISSION-
*VERY common Failure!*
Aisin Warner 50-50/51
Fluid- 7.9qt / Volvo gearbox oil or *tip*- Toyota uses the same 3309 compliant fluid, so just ask for Type IV transmission fluid from your local Toyota dealer. Price=$5 a quart

#7 ·
Some engines info:

2.4Litre Non-turbo is designated B5244S and has Variable valve timing on Intake cam only, available in auto or manual trans(M56) but FWD only
2.4Litre Light pressure turbo (2.4T) is designated B5244T and variable valve timing on Exhaust cam only.
2.5 Litre Light pressure turbo(2.5T) is designated B5254T2 (VIN code 59)and variable valve timing on both cams and was only avaiable(in the US) with an auto trans
2.3Litre High pressure turbo(T5) is designated B5234T3 (VIN code 52?)and uses the same KKK K24 turbo charger as the R models and is only available in FWD
2.5 Litre High pressure turbo(R) is designated B2524T4 (VIN code 54) has variable Valve timing on both cams, has KKK K24 turbo and is only available in AWD

2005 saw introduction of plastic headlamps(except R models), high pressure headlamp washers instead of wipers(except R models), LED rear marker lamps, non-diffuser tail lamp lenses and body colour mouldings

ETM throttle was used form MY2001-2002 and was subject to a 10years/200,000 mile extended warranty. MY2003 saw introduction of standard type electric throttle assembly

Poor maintenance can result in clogged PCV system and lead to excessive crankcase pressures causing bypass into intake tubing(appears as thought turbo is leaking but it's not)

#8 ·
I have an 01 v70 t5 that the thermostat gives off temperatures. That in turn tell the ac not to turn on. At the same time I get codes for plate and brake lights not working. In fact they alway do. It also may or may not be affected by the rear hatch occasionally being slammed. Any ideas on a repair?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I have an 01 v70 t5 that the thermostat gives off temperatures. That in turn tell the ac not to turn on. At the same time I get codes for plate and brake lights not working. In fact they alway do. It also may or may not be affected by the rear hatch occasionally being slammed. Any ideas on a repair?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
My brake lights also give error message when I apply the brakes, I found that the globes / bulbs fitted were 18watt instead of the proper 21 watt versions, so it tells me all the time to check my brake lights.

#10 · (Edited)
#15 ·
The T5 was dropped for '06?
T5 was not dropped from the '06 model - needs to be updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I had a moment today when I went to change my fuel filter on my new to me 2004 V70. It has a 5cyl non turbo PZEV B5244S6 engine code 64, t-belt service 150k, with different tensioner, VVT on intake and exhaust cams, steel gas tank with fuel filter inside tank, slightly better fuel mileage by 2mpg, 22mpg city 30mpg highway, 4 less horsepower and automatic transmission only. A handful of these were sent to California and Massachusetts only, were mine came from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.