Big Big Big interview tomorrow....
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Big Big Big interview tomorrow....

This is probably not that important to any of you.....but.....

I have an extremely important job interview tomorrow. I've made it through the testing and initial HR interview stage with this company. Not having been employed in 8 1/2 years (stay-at-home mom) I'm a bit unexperiened at this.

My (let's just call him) 'nameless UNsignificant other' has found other things to do with his pointless life and has left us and now mom needs to support heR babies on her (my) own.

I've studied up and purchased an "I'm the woman you want for the position" outift. So, is there anything anyone can warn me or advise me of? My interview is at 10am, Pacific time.

-Brando the Commando

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Global Phuz
      how about some words of encouragement...GOOD LUCK!

(i just noticed that you had a katana )

Matt
      2005 Volvo XC90 V8
      2006 Volvo S60R - 6MT
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design
      1991 Volvo 940 - 2JZGTE, 600rwhp

Re: Big Big Big interview tomorrow.... (Epiphny)

You have been doing the toughest job in the world, and then some, for the last 8+ years. You are qualified for any job. Go in believing in yourself and you will be fine.

GOOD LUCK!!! and let us know how things went.

ps I've been a stay at home mom for over 14years and I would hate to be in your shoes. It takes guts and committment to your kids to step out of your comfort zone. Stand tall.

2006 XC90 2.5T AWD OSD
      2007 S60 2.5T OSD
      1995 850
      1999 C70 Coupe

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Best of luck to you TurboMom! As Momscar said, be confident. Know the company, and drop subtle hints to indicate it.

Best of luck. Be prepared for the usual questions (ie. strengths, weaknesses, why should I hire you, tell me about yourself, etc). And of course, end the discussion with "I look forward to working with you".

Or, ask him/her if they would like to take a drive.

Quote, originally posted by Epiphny »
      Ok guys....

I have Frank's R all to myself on Saturday...

The big question.....where should I go?

-Bran

2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow/Black Alcantara
      2004 S60R 6MT - Passion Red/Nordkap (sold)
      2009 RAV4 Sport V6 - Classic Silver/Charcoal

I've studied up and purchased an "I'm the woman you want for the position" outift.

Sometimes, firms don't like extreme fashion (not saying yours is..but good to keep in mind)

This is cool...I had a great interview today as well!

My boss called my cell phone and told me that he and the service manager needed to speak with me ASAP...little did I know that I was showing up for the biggest interview (promotion) of my life!! I'm hoping to be the new Assistant Service manager!!

Re: Big Big Big interview tomorrow.... (nobbe3728)

Sometimes those impromptu interviews turn out for the best. Hope you get it.
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD OSD
      2007 S60 2.5T OSD
      1995 850
      1999 C70 Coupe

Re: Big Big Big interview tomorrow.... (momscar)

thanks!! I'm pretty confident but trying not to get tooo hopeful

It's a big step going from part time and full time school to full time in a new environment

I hope all goes well for Epiph too!

Re: (phuz)

Quote, originally posted by phuz »
      (i just noticed that you had a katana )

Yeah, I just sold the Katana last week, I miss it, but I needed some money to put gas in my tank and food on the table until a job comes through. I saw your picture with your bike, nice

The interview went very well. Hopefully I'll hear something back very soon. I got the feeling towards the end of it that they were going to offer me the job, so we'll see.

1- Be yourself. A good interviewer will understand your position and respect your experiences whether those were on a formal payroll or not.

2- Listen to the question and answer the question to the best of your ability. Ask the interviewer to ensure you have answered the question. Refrain from straying too far away from the question asked.

3- If you have gotten this far, then you have the basic quals; leverage your experiences and let the interviewer know how those will be of benefit in the position they are working to fill.

4- Remember this is a negotiating process. Explore the company, position, short/long term opportunities, etc. so you can also walk away understanding whether this is the best fit for you, regardless of whether they make an offer or not.

Best wishes!

Good luck to you; the biggest things I look for in an interviewee are:

Appropriate apparel
      Quiet confidence
      Experience
      Good grammar usage
      Outstanding computer skills and the ability to express that fact
      Intelligent questions
      Professional in demeanor, but still down-to-earth and friendly

All of this depends on the type of job you're looking for, but I can overestimate the importance of having good computer skills. I have the hardest time hiring people with adequate computer skills.

Re: (Epiphny)

Wow, that's great... getting back into the flow. My wife is looking to quit (her 3-day a week gig) and stay home full-time. I tell her to count her blessings that she travels, entertains, and does well (given the gender discount). But still, there is something to be said for being the full-time care-giver of your own kids, and it leaves us each feeling a bit sorry for having a nanny for part of the week.

Part of the problem (aside from money) is that my wife looks at the glass as half-full too. But what if she gives that up? Taking even a few years off can make someone hard to hire.

The Wall Street Journal did an piece on this two weeks ago and made the point that women who go back into the work force should include activities in which they were involved while away from the paid work force. Fund raisers, school boards, volunteer jobs, etc are all very important to include on your revised CV.

Good luck and keep us posted on what happened.

Present:
      '19 E63 S AMG Wagon; '16 LR4 Landmark
      Past:
      '87 245DL; '96 Red/Tan 855R; '04 Ti V70R; '05 Red/Nord V70R; '07 E-Sil/Ata V70R... last R into US; '07 AMG Wagon; '12 Range Rover; '14 AMG Wagon

Forum Sponsor universityvolvoOSD's Avatar

Epiphany...........

Don't forget that there are 2 interviews taking place!
      They are looking at you as a potential addition to their company...and YOU should be looking at them as a potential place to spend 40 (or maybe more) hours/week.

Some things to look for and questions to ask:

* Is this a new position or are you relacing someone" If so, where did that person go? Were they promoted? or did they leave the company?
      *Do they have a current copy of their annual report that you can take home and review?
      *Who administers the benifit pkg? and how long have they been doing business with them?
      *Do they have a 401K program? If so, do they have some info on that for you to look at?

These are the types of questions that should indicate to them that you are seeking a bonifide career opportunity...not just a paycheck! That you are seeking some stability that you can be comfortable with...and a future with a company that has a vision.

Don't settle for just anything...aim for the stars girl!

GOOD LUCK!!!!..and keep us informed!

If they call you back for a second round.....go to their website and study it! Use some of their own descriptions of their products or services to describe what you are looking for in a position. It's called being prepared and working smart!

Bob Kennedy
      University Volvo OSD Mgr
      Charlotte NC
      VOLVO FOR LIFE
      http://www.universityvolvo.com/volvo...as-program.htm

Re: Big Big Big interview tomorrow.... (universityvolvoOSD)

that is some very good advice Bob. thoughtful, and accurate in my experience hiring people from outside the systems i worked in.

edit; i will not edit this for spelling, i never could spell, and i don't care.

sometimes i get lucky.

I've studied up and purchased an "I'm the woman you want for the position" outift. So, is there anything anyone can warn me or advise me of? My interview is at 10am, Pacific time.

-Brando the Commando

Be yourself, and know that if it is meant to be, then it is! I woman who has been a good Mom for the kids, will be taken care of in the long run......... Again, Good Luck!!!

and I dont remember seeing pictures of you Epiphy, and now you have THE outfit.... how about posting a picture of all of this....

Re: Big Big Big interview tomorrow.... (Elak R)

I'm done with everything now, it's a matter of if I got the job or not. I feel like they're going to offer it to me. Hopefully I'll hear back by Monday or Tuesday.

Ummmm....picture? Not yet, give me a couple of months, then I'll sprawl out on Frankhoffy's R

-Bran

Quote, originally posted by universityvolvoOSD »
      Some things to look for and questions to ask:

*Do they have a current copy of their annual report that you can take home and review?

Get with the times Bob.

In this interent age, one is expected to research a public company before interviewing. That includes annual reports/SEC filings. If the company is private, that's a different story.

Ummmm....picture? Not yet, give me a couple of months, then I'll sprawl out on Frankhoffy's R

Looking forward to this one.

2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow/Black Alcantara
      2004 S60R 6MT - Passion Red/Nordkap (sold)
      2009 RAV4 Sport V6 - Classic Silver/Charcoal

Re: Big Big Big interview tomorrow.... (MagoonR)

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

Down boy, down!
      Yannis

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal Nappa L, Advance, Rear Air Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, Luxury, RtrbleTow Hitch, Polestar optimization, 20" wheels, Side Scuff Plate
      2020 V90 T6 AWD R-design Crystal White M, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, 20" wheels, Polestar optimization

Re: Big Big Big interview tomorrow.... (MagoonR)

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

You guys are great!!!!

And to think Frank introduced me to all of this.

-Bran

I know I'm a little bit late in chiming in to say anything, but Good Luck in how things go from here! Momscar said it best. You've done the hardest job for eight and a half years already and that makes you ready for anything. I hope things go well for you.

Re: Big Big Big interview tomorrow.... (kowalski)

I'm actually really nervous about it, I NEED this job.

Global Phuz

I'm actually really nervous about it, I NEED this job.

good....and although we don't know you, we have faith you will get the job

Matt
      2005 Volvo XC90 V8
      2006 Volvo S60R - 6MT
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design
      1991 Volvo 940 - 2JZGTE, 600rwhp

So, have you heard anything yet?!

Re: Big Big Big interview tomorrow.... (kowalski)

So I haven't heard one way or the other about this job yet. However....

I did my typing test, 10-key test and interview for a different job today and they hired me!!!!!!

Very very exciting! The work environment was great! The pay isn't so great but works in my favor for my situation right now. I can actually provide better for my kids with the lower wage.

The important thing is that I'm putting the brakes on life and slowing down, enjoying my kids and loving all of it.

-Bran

I did my typing test, 10-key test and interview for a different job today and they hired me!!!!!!

Very very exciting! The work environment was great! The pay isn't so great but works in my favor for my situation right now. I can actually provide better for my kids with the lower wage.

The important thing is that I'm putting the brakes on life and slowing down, enjoying my kids and loving all of it.

-Bran

That's wonderful! Congratulations! And enjoying your kids while they are kids is really awesome. I have two nephews and one niece that I vicariously live parenthood through. I wish I could be around them all the time. But my siblings get that honor. It's very cool that you and a bunch of others here find great joy in being parents. So I always feel good when people express how they feel about being with their kids. It reminds me of my folks.

-Bran

Thats great!

My mom was a working single mom for the majority of my life! If she can do it with a punk like me in the house anyone can! I may not have completely appreciated it at the time but once i got into highschool i certainly did, and if anything, it brought my mom and I closer as I could see what she was doing for all of us.

Gone and Missed: 2002 S60 T5 Manual, 1993 240 Classic
      Gone and Not Missed: 2001 S60 2.4t Auto

www.datforumdoe.com

Re: Big Big Big interview tomorrow.... (Bender)

great to hear! I'm going in again today for a more formal interview

Congratulations!! It may not have been the job that you interviewed for, but it sounds like it is the BEST fit for your life right now.

Putting the brakes on life and slowing down is often a good thing, just don't give up on life. Your kids are going to thank you for it, one day.

2006 XC90 2.5T AWD OSD
      2007 S60 2.5T OSD
      1995 850
      1999 C70 Coupe

Re: Big Big Big interview tomorrow.... (nobbe3728)

Good luck on your interview. Let us know how it goes.
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD OSD
      2007 S60 2.5T OSD
      1995 850
      1999 C70 Coupe

Re: Big Big Big interview tomorrow.... (momscar)

I think it went pretty well. It's with a company that I've worked for basically my entire (short) working career.

They're looking for a person to start out fresh...

They are HUGE on promoting from within, and two of the people currently there are looking to take management positions within the company, so they are already preparing for that.

33. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements