To flush or not to flush
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

To flush or not to flush

HELP!!! I'm confused.My 2000 V70 transmission with 177000 milesis slipping and bonking on the down shift,otherwise it is smooth. My Volvo garage wants to change and flush the transmission oil which has never been done and do a software computer upgrade,no guarantee and will cost me $400,thats OK providing it will do the trick.They claim it will be an improvement.
      However,when I checked with the Volvo dealer where the car was purchased and spoke with the Service manager,they said that they will not change Transmission fluids on that model,they claim if I did the transmission will fall apart, and Volvo doesnt recommend it. So,now I am really confused on what to do. Any Pros have any input for me???

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: To flush or not to flush (Bob Vlugt)

try to track down ss member JRL, he has without doubt the most information about this situation.

i would PM him, or, just butt in and ask him.

he may even find this thread.

good luck.

ps; i would have changed it many times (about every 30k miles), so i have no clue of the reprecussions at this late date. i know a new trans costs about 2,500 to 3,500 bucks depending if 4 or 5 speed auto. probably i would want to do a bunch of other parts too, like mounts, axles etc.

best of luck! , we need a fingers crossed ditty here.

Re: To flush or not to flush (hastee)

Well, I'll tell you.
      Normally I say to either flush or do a drain and fill BUT I have had a couple of problems (with 2000's) lately.
      If you have a normal 2000 (non turbo) you have the 1st year of the 5 speed transmission.
      MANY seem to be prone to a bad 3rd to 2nd downshift (BIG CLUNK) while upshifting is normal as the miles rack up.
      Hindsight is 20-20 and if we all knew better we all should have flushed or at least drained and filled the trans every 30K miles but we didn't...
      With your miles I would suggest a drain and fill only. SOMETIMES the software can help it, sometimes not, but that usually can't hurt anything but your wallet.
      If you can't easily find the proper (Mobil 3309) fluid at your neighborhood auto store, stop at a Toyota dealer and buy their 3309 fluid. It's the same stuff without the rip off Volvo price.
      If you drain and fill buy 8 quarts (just in case) instead of the usual 16 needed for a flush.
      Do a drain and fill, NOT a flush. This will minimize any crud from being loosened up and is probably safer for a trans with the miles yours has.
      A drain and flush shouldn't be more than a 1/2 hour's time, plus if YOU bring the fluid in this entire deal (with fluid) will cost you $100, $150 TOPS.
      No guarantees this will help and it very well may not but at least this way it shouldn't get any worse, (and it could get better)!
      Good luck
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 117K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 158,000 miles and still near perfect!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: To flush or not to flush (JRL)

sorry to sort of hijack this, but at my recent 37.5k mi service they said my trans fluid was "cloudy" and recommended a flush at the price of $500. After talking to a few folks on the R forum (Lee Ramseur in particular) I took a pass on this. They also wanted to flush my coolant system and said that it tested out to only -7 protection--my Prestone coolant tester says it is fine. So I understood both of these recommendations to be revenue-generating adventures in faux "service".

However, JRL is your thought about changing fluid every 30k specific to the P1 cars (I believe that is what the original poster has) or do you really think we should be doing this on P2s as well? And is that 3309 fluid the same for the P2 R transmission?

thanks

Re: To flush or not to flush (kenschel)

Quote, originally posted by kenschel »

However, JRL is your thought about changing fluid every 30k specific to the P1 cars (I believe that is what the original poster has) or do you really think we should be doing this on P2s as well? And is that 3309 fluid the same for the P2 R transmission?

ALL of them.
      If you flush early, (before 60K miles) the odds go way up of no future tranny problems.
      As I said a drain and fill will do, (much cheaper)
      He has an AW-55 same trans as you have, 5 speed, (more or less)
      Not P1, Gen 1 is the terminology for pre 01 cars
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 117K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 158,000 miles and still near perfect!

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

ALL of them.
      If you flush early, (before 60K miles) the odds go way up of no future tranny problems.
      As I said a drain and fill will do, (much cheaper)
      He has an AW-55 same trans as you have, 5 speed, (more or less)
      Not P1, Gen 1 is the terminology for pre 01 cars

So, since trans is more or less the same, I take it that same trans fluid is the right one? Also, any reason I can't do the drain and fill myself?

thanks

I've been using Mobil 3309 on my P2 V70XC for the past 100,000km without any problems.
      My method is to flush every 30,000km and drain every 10,000.
      That 3309 is great stuff.
      MY02 V70XC/M66/4T4/650cc/FMIC/Aquamist/TME 3" DP+Catback/Built B5244T5 + MTE custom tuned =
      MY05 S60 T5/K24/465cc/TME 3" DP/HEICO catback + MTE Stage 2 tuned =
      MY18 V40 T3 + MTE Stage 1 tuned =
      MY06 S60 T5 Bone Stock...

None whatsoever and I would recommend a drain and fill NOW.
      #3309 fluid for all 5 speeds (some of MY 2000 cars) and all 01s and newer.
      Also 3309 will NOT hurt an older 4 speed, in fact I run it in my 96R

Agree with everything posted so far. My transmission's behavior was much better after flush and fill and the addition of an inline filter, but it did have 100,000 fewer miles on it.

Sometimes shops are reluctant to change the fluid on a very beat tranny, as this can sometimes shorten the time till the transmission dies. This is very well known in the repair industry. However, if this happens, it was going to die very soon anyway, and there is really nothing else to do to fix the problem short of replacing the tranny.

Pretty much anybody can do a flush and fill at home (for about $60!), and a drain and fill is even easier. Details are posted on this site as well as volvoxc.com and MVS.

2014 XC90
      2010 XC60
      1998 S90
      1998 SL500 1995 Corvette LT1 1980 MGB 1969 Ford Torino CJ 428 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10

Thanks for the tip,I will take your advice and do a drain and fill and the software upgrade,but I am still a little confused about the oil.My manual strictly says to use Volvo 1161540-8 gearbox oil for the AW5 Tranny. Now,the Mobil oil 3309 is that the same synthetic oil as Volvo uses? And it will not hurt my gearbox? ~~ This is my seventh Volvo starting with a P1800,144's.740's,780 and NEVER did I ever had a transmission problem

VOLVO HAS NO SYNTHETIC FLUID AND FOR ALL 5 SPEED AUTOS, YOU USE 3309.
      WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR (INCORRECT) INFO?

Quote, originally posted by Bob Vlugt »
      Thanks for the tip,I will take your advice and do a drain and fill and the software upgrade,but I am still a little confused about the oil.My manual strictly says to use Volvo 1161540-8 gearbox oil for the AW5 Tranny. Now,the Mobil oil 3309 is that the same synthetic oil as Volvo uses? And it will not hurt my gearbox? ~~ This is my seventh Volvo starting with a P1800,144's.740's,780 and NEVER did I ever had a transmission problem

Volvo spec 1161540-8 is Swedish for JWS 3309. The 3309 standard is Aisin-Warner's, the manufacturer of the AW 55-50 tranny. Any ATF with 3309 on the bottle should be fine. Many of us use Mobil 3309 because you can buy a case from avlube.com for about $50.

The myth that Volvo's 3309 is synthetic is ubiquitous in the various discussion threads on this topic. However, if you search enough, you will find that it is a conventional oil, and I am not aware of any synthetic 3309 being available in North America. Volvo's ATF could be Mobil or something else, but I have never seen any credible evidence of the actual manufacturer.

2014 XC90
      2010 XC60
      1998 S90
      1998 SL500 1995 Corvette LT1 1980 MGB 1969 Ford Torino CJ 428 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10

Re: To flush or not to flush (volvodad)

Thanks to all of you for your input. I had the transmission drained and filled and also the shop did the software upgrade. I find an immediate improvent of about 80%.The downshift clunk is not near as bad and the slippage has dissapeared.

Thanks to all of you for your input. I had the transmission drained and filled and also the shop did the software upgrade. I find an immediate improvent of about 80%.The downshift clunk is not near as bad and the slippage has dissapeared.

Just had the software in my 2000 V70 upgraded TODAY. So far, the BIG clunk JRL describes is GONE.

I have drained and refilled fluid every 30,000 miles since I have owned the car...

2009 XC 70 T6. Electric Silver / Anthracite. Premium and Climate.

So I've decided to have mine drained and filled (not flushed) but no place around where I live even seems to know what the 3309 ATF is! I've talked to 2 transmission shops and they haven't heard of it; gone to 3 or 4 parts stores and ditto. Guess I'll order it online, probably do it myself if I can find the fill hole and the drain hole

Quote, originally posted by kenschel »

So I've decided to have mine drained and filled (not flushed) but no place around where I live even seems to know what the 3309 ATF is! I've talked to 2 transmission shops and they haven't heard of it; gone to 3 or 4 parts stores and ditto. Guess I'll order it online, probably do it myself if I can find the fill hole and the drain hole

I had the same experience in Pittsburgh. You might try asking for Toyota Type IV ATF. Someone may recognize that name and be able to order that for you.

The drain plug is easy to find - it's the 24mm bolt on the bottom of the tranny. It uses the same aluminum seal ring as the oil drain. The dipstick/fill tube is difficult to locate (as you know), but you'll find it on the front of the transmission near the lower radiator hose if you look around long enough.

2014 XC90
      2010 XC60
      1998 S90

Re: To flush or not to flush (volvodad)

thanks Volvodad!

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements