Anybody here gone the XC90 axle bolt route to cure the axle ping?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Anybody here gone the XC90 axle bolt route to cure the axle ping?

Hi guys. My baby is going in for her regular 10 000km service next Monday and while she is there I am getting the dealer to attempt for the second time to cure the dreaded axle ping that is now occuring 80% of the time upon pull off, decelaration and on slow gear changes. Last time they just tried the axle luble, tighten, metal adhesive fix. I am taking then the TNN that guys here have provided me for the axle ping plus I am going to request the axle bolts as per the TNN for the XC90's. Few questions:
      1)Is the XC90 bolt a simple swap out with the bolt that is already in there?
      2)This is obviously not a Volvo approved repair from what I can gather so I am going to offer to pay for the XC90 bolts but they pay for the labour?
      3)Does this fix work and last? Not like the standard TNN that lasted for a whole week I think cause this little click/cluck is driving me up the wall am tired of my wife commeting on the click/cluck every time we use the R.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Anybody here gone the XC90 axle bolt route to cure the axle ping? (CyberRacer)

Many of us have had this done.....with great results. Unfortunately, I had to demand the Regional Tech before it was resolved (under warranty of course). Here's the link if you missed it:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=60005

2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow/Black Alcantara
      2004 S60R 6MT - Passion Red/Nordkap (sold)
      2009 RAV4 Sport V6 - Classic Silver/Charcoal

Re: Anybody here gone the XC90 axle bolt route to cure the axle ping? (MagoonR)

MagoonR paved the way for this to happen. Thank you sir, one year later and no problems. Now I just have some bad control arms that the dealer is refusing to fix.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: Anybody here gone the XC90 axle bolt route to cure the axle ping? (Rangeball)

Quote, originally posted by Rangeball »
      MagoonR paved the way for this to happen. Thank you sir.

Awww shucks.

Okay, apparently this has not been tried in South Africa. Have given my dealer details of this fix and they will be trying it out on my car next week Monday when she goes in for her 20 000km service.

Global Moderator

Re: Anybody here gone the XC90 axle bolt route to cure the axle ping? (Rangeball)

Quote, originally posted by Rangeball »
      MagoonR paved the way for this to happen. Thank you sir,

Maybe we should call it the Magoon Mod

Re: Anybody here gone the XC90 axle bolt route to cure the axle ping? (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »
      Maybe we should call it the Magoon Mod

Actually, I was not the first........just the most vocal.

Well, I believe mine was the first to have it done with the XC90 bolt. 3yrs+ now and still no problems. But Magoon Mod sounds real fine , cos blot's bolt mod is quite a mouthful...
      04 S60R 6MT, Sapphire Black, Atacama
      Mods, Dyno, Pic.

Re: Anybody here gone the XC90 axle bolt route to cure the axle ping? (blot)

Quote, originally posted by blot »
      Well, I believe mine was the first to have it done with the XC90 bolt. 3yrs+ now and still no problems. But Magoon Mod sounds real fine , cos blot's bolt mod is quite a mouthful...

I think that "Blot's Bolts" will do just fine.

Had it done last year, no more problems
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 114K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 150,000 miles and still near perfect!

Re: Anybody here gone the XC90 axle bolt route to cure the axle ping? (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
      Had it done last year, no more problems

How do you know since the 04VR is gone?

Re: Anybody here gone the XC90 axle bolt route to cure the axle ping? (CyberRacer)

After one failed attempt by the dealer to fix it with loctite I put the XC90 bolts w/rubber sleeves in mine last fall and so far all seems well. Or then again, maybe it's just masked by all the clicks, clunks and pings from my clutch peddle and drivetrain

Ps. I checked the torque on them this week when swapping in my summer wheels and they seem to have stayed put.

LTA

2006 S60R 6MT BlackSapph/Atacama, Ferrita3"DP/EST-Catback/BMC/CustomCAI/A-Mist/18"PS2/NAV/iMIV/22mmRearSB/TME Springs (installed, finally! )
      2005 XC90 2.5T - Loaded family hauler
      Gone: '02 S60T5 5MT, '96 850T Wagon

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

I think that "Blot's Bolts" will do just fine.

Blot's Bolts. They won't make your car a Blot MonsteR... But it's a start.

I did these on my dime after a failed Locktite 'fix'. It was just easier than going to war over a true fix that isn't sanctioned by VCNA.

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements