Problem with rear lift gate
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Problem with rear lift gate

Anybody had this problem before?

I've had my new V50 for about 3 weeks now. On some occasions, I can not open the rear lift gate. The doors are unlocked (or the liftgate is unlocked) via the remote, but when I push the release, I get no reaction. No sound, no opening of the lift gate. Other times, the lift gate unlocks and works just fine.

The only thing I have noticed is that the problem seems to occur when my car has been parked in the sun. (might be just coincidence).

I will take it in for service, but I want to be able to recreate the problem for the dealer.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestions?

2017 XC60 Inscription Magic Blue
      2007 V50 T5 AWD Passion Red
      OSD March, 2007 - The only way to buy a Volvo!!
      1998 850 Turbo Polar White

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Former Advertiser universityvolvoOSD's Avatar

Re: Problem with rear lift gate (BillFerg)

Bill...

Just for the heck of it....go to the menu section on the console and get to the car settings options. Scroll down to the door unlock option and click "all doors".
      Then get out'''lock" the car and hit the unlock button once....see if the rear door is unlocked.
      If that doesn't work....hit the "rear door" unlock button on the key.

Generally speaking...if there is an intermittent problem..it is software...If there is a constant problem, it is mechanical.

I am sending your sunglass holder to you...so have Thor handle the rear door issue when he installs the sunglass holder.

Re: Problem with rear lift gate (universityvolvoOSD)

It's working tonight, but didn't work this morning. It has happened like this before. I'm going to wait until the next time it acts up, then try your suggestions, Bob.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The lift gate doesn't unlock on the second push of the remote, you have to push it three times. Other alternatives are pushing the inside unlock button, or using the tailgate/trunk button on the remote. I have no idea why they set it up this way, it's really annoying sometimes.

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Re: Problem with rear lift gate (tmtalpey)

Quote, originally posted by tmtalpey »
      The lift gate doesn't unlock on the second push of the remote, you have to push it three times. Other alternatives are pushing the inside unlock button, or using the tailgate/trunk button on the remote. I have no idea why they set it up this way, it's really annoying sometimes.

Tom.

On mine I don't have to push the unlock button 3 time, but I do have to push the trunk unlock twice for it to unlock the trunk.

Re: Problem with rear lift gate (sarahbau)

I think it works differently on the S40. And the second push of the trunk release on the remote may be the signal, too. Do you have to push more than once sometimes to get the doors (like mine)?

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD

On my V50 I push the remote hatch release button once, and unlike my wife's Toyota, the Volvo lock doesn't make any noise. I then reach under and grab the driver's side of the sill where the touch pad is and clunk, she unlocks and swings open in one movement.

There may have been a time where it didn't open for me, but I'd just hit the button again on the remote and whammy, open tailgate.

The tailgate doesn't open when I press the tailgate button. I don't know about the unlock button (3 pushes vs. 2), but I'll try that.

By the way, where is the inside unlock button? I haven't found that yet?

Quote, originally posted by BillFerg »
      The tailgate doesn't open when I press the tailgate button.

You are not expecting the tailgate to swing open without you touching it are you? The trunk unlock button just unlocks it so that the touchpad over the license plate will open the hatch. Just checking as you mention 'open' rather than 'unlock'.

UKMatt

Bill,
      It's gotta be a software problem. It works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't.

I don't know where the inside tailgate release is, if there is one. I know there is one for the gas cap door, but I don't think there is one exclusively for the tailgate.

Mayge they are talking about hitting the master unlock three times, the one on the driver's side door that unlocks the passenger doors...

Re: Problem with rear lift gate (Weedly)

Ok, I'll attempt to be clearer. There are three ways to unlock the V50 tailgate in my experience.

1) press the unlock button the remote, once if the car is fully unlocked, twice if the rear doors are locked, three times if the car is fully locked.

2) press the trunk/tailgate button on the remote, once. No noise or flash will occur. If the car was locked, it will remain locked except for the tailgate. If you don't open the tailgate, it will re-lock (silently).

3) Press the unlock button on one of the front doors, the rocker button just in front of the manual latch.

Tom.

2016 XC60 T6 AWD

Re: Problem with rear lift gate (ukmatt)

No, I don't expect the tailgate to swing open. I just want it to unlock so I can press on the release button under the logo and open the lift gate. Right now, it is very temperamental, and unlocks or not with no rhyme or reason.

Former Advertiser universityvolvoOSD's Avatar

Bill..

I may have to send you back to Sweden for another car j/k

There is no specific rear hatch release inside the vehicle. Tom gave a very good expalnation of the 3 ways to access the rear cargo area. .Try locking the car....and then try each way to see what is working properly and what may be malfunctioning. If nothing more...it will help identify the issue when you see the service writer.

Re: Problem with rear lift gate (universityvolvoOSD)

Bob, we were just going over some of the pictures from Sweden and Norway, so I like your first suggestion more.

Anyway, today the hatch worked all the time. Next time it acts up, I'll try the suggestions posted here. I plan to bring it up when the car goes in for service, but it's hard to explain if it is working properly that day. It's always easier if you can replicate the problem.

An update to this problem.

The normal pattern is that the lift gate works in the morning, doesn't work at mid-day, and works again in the evening. This supports my earlier finding that it is a problem when parked in the sun

I was scheduled in for service last week. Wouldn't you know it, I picked the only day last week that was overcast and cool. Of course, the lift gate worked just fine.

Today, however, it is 92 degrees, and I went to the dealership to demonstrate the problem. This time, the service manager could see the problem first-hand.

Now I'm scheduled for service again, but they had to check the weather forecast to make sure we have another hot day.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Okay, now what happens if you park the vehicle with the front end in the shade, versus the back?

Interesting problem! Certainly gives them something to go on. I'll see if mine does this. Keep us posted.

Tom.

2016 XC60 T6 AWD

Quote, originally posted by BillFerg »

The normal pattern is that the lift gate works in the morning, doesn't work at mid-day, and works again in the evening. This supports my earlier finding that it is a problem when parked in the sun

Maybe Volvo decided to tie in the tail gate with the clock and your clock is on the fritz.

Re: Problem with rear lift gate (v50t5black)

I was thinking it was a time lock, like they have on bank vaults.

Here's an update on the situation.

Took the car in for service last week. They saw the problem first-hand, and diagnosed it as a problem with the rear tailgate latch, but they had to order the part.

Today they replaced the rear latch under warranty. The service advisor told me "You're all set, the lift gate works fine now".

But when I went out to my car, the lift gate would not function. I brought both service advisors out to see the problem. They agreed it still doesn't work, and will call me back tomorrow to figure out the next step.

Of course, when I got home, the lift gate worked just fine.

Still no solution

I'll keep you posted.

The latest update on the problem:

I've now taken the car in 6 times for the problem to 2 different dealers.

Lee Volvo of Wellesley seems to be on to the proper solution. They replaced the rear latch just to check that the previous latch was not also defective. (That wasn't the problem)

What they found was that when the latch was malfunctioning, there was no power getting through to the latch. So, the next step is to replace the wiring harness. Unfortunately, the wiring harness has to come from Sweden, so they are expecting another 5-7 days before it is here.

I must say, their service has been great, they've kept me informed and arranged a loaner for me (including keeping it over the weekend).

I'll let you know what happens.

I find it a bit odd that the dealers went to blindly replace the latch without checking if it was getting power or not. Of course, replacing the part would be the logical thing to do if they could not recreate the problem but in this case the fault was there. Checking it would have saved lots of time and money.

Now, because the latch is OK that really leaves two possible culprits: the wiring harness and the control unit that has the switching electronics. My guess is that the fault is within the control box since it seems to be clearly heat related. A faulty wiring harness should cause more erratic behavior, IMO.

Anyways, I hope they get it fixed soon. Please keep us updated.

Volvo V50 T5 M6 FWD Passion Red. Premium Audio, Dension Gateway, Climate pack, Nokian Z summers, Nokian R winters, BSR Stage 1, Digital boost gauge.

Re: Problem with rear lift gate (FinnSpeed)

It looks like the problem is fixed.

My dealer replaced the wiring harness, but that still did not solve the problem. However, while installing the harness, they found a connector that had overheated and had some signs that it had burnt. The connector was replaced, and the rear lift gate now opens (on cool days as well as on hot days)!

Let's hope there are no other problems with overheating and burnt connectors.

Thanks to Lee Volvo of Wellesley for sticking with the problem until it was solved.

Great that it is fixed now!

My guess is that the first latch actuator might have been faulty anyway. It could have been partly shorted and therefore took too much current melting the connector...

Volvo V50 T5 M6 FWD Passion Red. Premium Audio, Dension Gateway, Climate pack, Nokian Z summers, Nokian R winters, BSR Stage 1, Digital boost gauge.

26. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements