OFFICIAL: Weird or popping noises from front right suspension thread

216K views 169 replies 87 participants last post by  Tracker0a01 
#1 ·
Weird noise from front right suspension

** This is now the Official Weird Noise from the front end thread for XC90s **

- chris@swedespeed.com

---------------
Hi,

Once in a while on my front right suspension, I hear like a popping sound or springy suspension sound. Not sure what's going on.

I had the Ball joint recall done in Dec. Could this be the problem?

I just want to get an idea of what it is before taking to the dealer and advise them on what to check for.

THX

#3 ·
Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (reinnie)

My XC90 was just in the shop yesterday for rear wheel bearing failure, and I mentioned to them that I was also hearing a creaking/popping noise from the front (only when I turned right). So, they ended replacing both front stabilizer bar links (in addition to both rear wheel bearings). I'll have to look at the paperwork, but I believe they told me that they were loose, and one of them was actually damaged.

#4 ·
Re: (1sttimevolvo)

No offense taken, but I found that it's much easier to tell the dealer where the problem may be coming from.

From my past experience, dealer will say, "can't duplicate problem" therefore they can't fix it until they experience it. If I go in leading them in the direction of the problem, a lot of times they will examine the particular part more carefully and ends up fixing it.

Thanks duddym, I'll tell them to check on that and your correct most of the popping sound occurs during a right turn.

Modified by reinnie at 12:56 PM 6-1-2007

#6 ·
Took my car in few days ago, dealer couldn't duplicate the problem therefore they didn't do anything to fix the popping sound.

They did finally fixed my seat that moves forward/backward when you accelerate or brake. Apparently this is a common problem with 2005 models and they have a recall to fix this problem.

#7 ·

Mine is going in this week. My front end makes more sounds every day. My driver's side had an very loud "dung" sound, I had my window down. I thought the spring was going to come up through the perch! I've got lots of little creaks when shifting from drive to reverse into a parking spot. Sounds like the brake calipers clicking & clacking - I doubt the dealer will be able to duplicate anything but enough is enough.

#8 ·
Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (Chris@Swedespeed)

I'll start to make a "dung" sound, too, once I have to pay for repair visits to the dealer to chase after gremlins and quirks...Can you imagine what some of the full-freight repair bills could cost?

Getting ready to buy an extended warranty...Me thinks...Mr. K.

#9 ·
Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (Mr. Kotter)

There's got to be some sort of a) design flaw b) bad batch of part products affecting "a few" XC90s. Its is unfortunate as this really ruins the driving experience.

I've got no other complaints with the XC90 Sport, a fantastic little SUV. Ok one complaint: the reverse camera takes too long to come up and activate.

#10 ·

I had our local Volvo dealership look into the creaks, pops and groans our front end makes and of course he couldn't duplicate the problem. The mechanic even went out on a road test with me driving and *I* couldn't get the stupid car to make the same noises I hear when I pull into my garage!

The mechanic mused that the noises were problably the front strut springs rotating a bit when I turned and the calipers moving a bit in their cradles when shifting from forward to reverse.

I also asked them to look at the driver's seat movment and they "could not duplicate". Claimed they inspected all the mechanisms and everthing was tight and in place. At the time, I was not aware of a recall on the seat problem. Does anyone have the recall number for this?

Modified by Bobalouie3 at 7:18 PM 6-17-2007

#11 ·
Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (Bobalouie3)

My dealer is now able to make the noise. They are going to start by replacing the strut bearings and go from there. At least they are now able to duplicate the noise!!

#12 ·

Quote, originally posted by Chris@Swedespeed »
My dealer is now able to make the noise. They are going to start by replacing the strut bearings and go from there. At least they are now able to duplicate the noise!!

We had this problem and the dealer started replacing stuff in all the same places mentioned here: first they claimed it was the dust shield on the front brakes (like I'm an idiot), then it was ball joints, then sway bar ends, etc). In the end it turned out to be a propellor shaft. Just FYI.

I have to note that after one service visit where they supposedly found the problem, as I was driving away from the service bay it was making the noise I brought it in for.
I immediately turned around and made the tech who serviced it ride along. He admitted they only threw it up on the lift and tried to replicate the noise that way. Ugh. As soon as he rode in the vehicle, not but 200-feet, he could here what I'd described my previous three (3!) visits for this same problem (noise in front as others have described). That's when they did the prop shaft and, for the most part, seems to have solved the problem (we still here a clicking/popping from time to time, but nothing like what we had before all the various attempts to remedy it).

#14 ·
Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (Emission)

Considering this has been reported since 2003 when we picked up our MY 2004 we would think Volvo would have developed a real fix. But we all know that is not going to happen.

One of many reasons we are close to selling our XC90. If all goes well it will be out of our garage by the end of the week.

#15 ·
Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (nomarkup)

new strut bearing caps didn't fix it - the investigation continues.

#160 ·
The dealership or the experts!
there are experts at replacing as many parts as possible but not the ones that correct the problem because then they can’t keep replacing parts
We all know if they can’t keep replacing parts they can’t pay all the salaries and hourly rates of all the mechanics and service writers and a shop manager a dealership Has to make between 1 million and $10 million a year to keep the lights on as they say if all they Could rely on was selling new cars to make money they’d be closed in six weeks

FIND AN INDEPENDENT SHOP FOR VOLVO!
Those guys are often veteran Volvo mechanics that got sick of working at the dealership
The idea that because they’re working at Volvo they must be much better mechanics on your Volvo there an independent shop is all wrong a lot of shops have big turnover the guy that could be working on your Volvo at that dealership could be there maybe two weeks and you’d never know he could’ve come from a Chevy a Dodge dealership or a Fiat dealership you have no idea
It’s no more common than right now that a dealership will hire anybody to come through the door even a Jiffy Lube guy
Sure when can you start? OK good see you Monday!

#18 ·
Re: (reinnie)

recall notice that applies to my 2006 received today.
replace outer tire rod ends with modified design even if previously replaced.

#19 ·
Re: (obiwan)

Just out of curiosity, what tires are you using?

I just got new 255/55 tires on 18" wheels and have heard the popping MUCH more than on the old 235/60 Pilots.

I'd heard it periodically, but after leaving the tire store I stopped a mile down the road to make sure the tire shop didn't damage the suspension.

#20 ·
Re: (Oulainen)

The noise appears to have been coming from the brakes springs and sliding points.

Dealer claims noise(s) are gone. I hope to pick it up tonight. I will park in my usual manner when I get home and see how she performs.

#21 ·
Re: (Chris@Swedespeed)

Check those lug nuts!! My wifes '05 XC90 was making weird noises from the front...after the noise moved from the left to the right and just before I took it in to the shop I checked the lug nuts...one was about to fall off, the others took a few turns to tighten

Now everything is tight and quiet.

#22 ·
Re:

My 2003 has had front and rear sway bar links replaced at different times. The noises occured with potholes/bumps. Sometimes it was really really loud, most usually just a rattle.

My dealer has a field behind the shop with lumps and bumps that they use as a "test track" for customer noise complaints. And they have a very experience mechanic who can relate noises to parts.

This was done before the ball joint recall.

Rear part 30714678
Front part 30714685
Sway bars AKA anti-roll bars

#23 ·
Re: Re: (Lunasea)

Quote, originally posted by Lunasea »

My dealer has a field behind the shop with lumps and bumps that they use as a "test track" for customer noise complaints. And they have a very experience mechanic who can relate noises to parts.

That's really clever. You are fortunate to have that. My dealer has an 90% or better success rate at finding and fixing noises so I am quite satisfied. On the rare occasion it was not found or fixed the first time, a second visit would either replicate and repair my complaint, or else find a second bad part. The XC90 is currently quiet and everything is working properly.

#24 ·
Re: (Chris@Swedespeed)

Quote, originally posted by Chris@Swedespeed »
The noise appears to have been coming from the brakes springs and sliding points.

Dealer claims noise(s) are gone. I hope to pick it up tonight. I will park in my usual manner when I get home and see how she performs.

Chris:

Any update on the repair, did the fix do the trick?

#25 ·

Not only had similar weird noise from my front end, but steering started getting stiffer at slow speeds, e.g., backing out of my driveway. The dealer didn't hesitate, hem or haw but replaced my steering rack. Both problems went away instantly, and it's been nearly a year with no more noise or rough steering.
Bill
04XC90 2.5l

#26 ·
have had the issue since Day 1 it seems. Dealers said there was a subframe recall or TSB but had been performed at the factory before delivery. They can't replicate issue even after tech drove the car home etc. Front end of this vehicle seems shakey at best! Will look at the sway bar end links

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.