OFFICIAL: Weird or popping noises from front right suspension thread

216K views 169 replies 87 participants last post by  Tracker0a01 
#1 ·
Weird noise from front right suspension

** This is now the Official Weird Noise from the front end thread for XC90s **

- chris@swedespeed.com

---------------
Hi,

Once in a while on my front right suspension, I hear like a popping sound or springy suspension sound. Not sure what's going on.

I had the Ball joint recall done in Dec. Could this be the problem?

I just want to get an idea of what it is before taking to the dealer and advise them on what to check for.

THX

#52 ·
Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (Emission)

Thanks. I was going to have the sevice department look at my wifes xc90 today but if this is not the fix then I was going to leave it alone. I have complained about this problem several times now and nothing gets resolved. I am just starting to accept it as a "feature" of the car.

#53 ·

I was having this noise for months that went ka-thunk when backing up and turning and stopping at very slow speeds. Then on Friday, it started doing the "washing machine shuffle." CV Joint is welded to the axle so the whole kit needs to be replaced. @$600. I did the recall, too but now am at 90,000+ miles.

#54 ·
Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (bookgirl08)

I had an old Audi 5000 that would go through CV joints. You would feel a "clunk" in the steering wheel (and the offending boot would be ripped on the driveshaft).

I never considered it a CV problem on the XC90. The boots are perfect. I will have to listen more carefully!

#55 ·

The same popping sound I have on my Xc90 2006 and service
all ready change a lot of things on suspension but noise is still "there"

#56 ·
Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (Hong Kong)

With just 134 days left on our lease (but who's counting?), my wife and I have decided just to live with the noise.

In my observation, it sounds a lot like a sway bar that is hanging up on poorly designed bushings. While very irritating, it doesn't seem to affect the way the vehicle drives.

- Mike

#57 ·

On our XC90 we had the infamous "Suspension Clunk" for almost two years (driving the high commander insane) - noted at every service - got the can't replicate every time. So I had the car in for it's almost out of warranty 72000 km major service - and got cant replicate from the dealer again. Heard the problem leaving the lot and had to get a price on a new set of front brakes anyway, at an independent Volvo shop. They inspected the swaybars' endlinks and found they were badly worn - took the car back to the dealership told them here is the TNN for the swaybar endlinks / bushings- here is the inspection report - fix it - no need to replicate - no discussion - no cost.

Seems to be working OK for now.

Problem is - Fjord just uses a road test to detect the noise - whereas a mechanic does a physical inspection to note the wear ( apparently they get their heaviest mechanic to hang of the swaybars to check the amount of articulation at the endlinks / bushings )- since the clunking problem is intermittent and to a certain extent ambient temp related so it doesn't occur everytime- but is merely the symptom of a more serious issue.

#59 ·
Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (marcvip99)

my 05 XC90 V8 had the springy noise since the day I drove it home- after three tries with the dealer I decided to live with it. Mentioned it at the 37.5k service interval a few months ago and their tech spent most of the day road testing, pulling and hanging on suspension parts. Ended up replacing both front links (76210-0.5) and I haven't heard the springy popping noise since.
I think what most peole are hearing is either the noise the link &/or bushing replace addresses or it's a rub or stress on the calipers or the tire/wheel combo.

#60 ·
Re: (brickauto)

"From my past experience, dealer will say, "can't duplicate problem" therefore they can't fix it until they experience it."

This true typically during the warranty period, it seems magically that once warranty expires, they find all kinds of problems.

#61 ·
Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (reinnie)

Well I am one of the many that has the same noise. I would describe it as a clapping noise that only seems to be there when accelerating. Being that it only occurs during acceleration I stongly believe that it has to be a rubber gromet or bushing. It seems that the rubber compound that Volvo is using for engine/transmission & suspension mounts/bushings are very soft and wear quickly. I am going under the car this weekend to try and locate the source of the problem.

A word of advice--as a prior auto mechanic, never go to the dealer, try to find a reliable mechanic. Dealers try to make up for lack of auto sales be charging crazy repair fees.

#62 ·
Our '07 has made the same noise throughout the last two years. Since quite a few have mentioned swaybar end links as the possible culprit, I will remove both and test drive it the next time I do an oil change.

Andreas

#63 ·
+1.
Rattling and clicking when making slow sharper turns, especially on a down slope. The dealer replaced right and left bolt & nut, and it got better, but did not totally go away. Also, springly "dung" on speedbumps, especially when just starting to drive in the morning.

#64 ·
Same here....

06' XC90 2.5

Same deal here, seems to be at low or med speeds, wheels turned. ...any small articulation in the wheels will do it. If find it happens equally on both sides in the front. Interestingly, I do find it happens more when I first start off, as opposed to having been on the road for 30 min or so.

I get the same noises as others have reported. Took it to the dealer and, of course, could not reproduce the issue. I am going to bring it back again, in hopes of repro'ing it. My hopes are low.

My warranty runs out soon, and given how things work out, I am sure as soon as it runs out, they'll be able to find the issue and offer a simple fix for a small fee....haha, yeah right.

#65 ·
Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (BillP_XTC90_MD)

My noise got worse after install of swaybars from IPD. Had them check it out. Bolts on control arm loose. Sway bars and end links fine (had new end links installed also). Noise gone. Looks like TNN 61-10 is my problem. VIN number in range of earlier post on this issue for that fix. Will be going to dealer soon.

Thanks.

#66 ·
Our 2008 XC90 is exhibiting the same noises with wheels articulated at low speeds when turned both ways.
Goes in to the dealer on Monday.

Update: Noise was coming from rear bushing front lower control arm. Replaced bolt/nut set both sides per TNN 61-10. No noise so far.

Modified by mvray at 7:30 PM 8-4-2009

#67 ·
My XC is making these noises too; I hardly notice it as I always have the radio on. I turned it off this morning and it the noises were pretty pronounced over rough pavement. 19k, will be taking it in soon.

I love the car and am considering purchasing it post-lease but if they can't fix this then it's going back to the bank next year.

#68 ·
Re: (nat_tex)

Had mine into the dealer Friday. I mentioned TNN 61-10 and told them my VIN was in the range. They checked out the car and replaced the rear bolts on the front control arm . The noise on mine was sublte, as when I had the IPD sway bars put on in July they tightened all the control arm bolts so it went away for a few thousand miles. But then it started coming back. So far so good on new bolts. will check out and report back.

Question though. The dealer was calling this fix as being according to Tech Journal 17498/17499. Anyone know how the Tech Journal compares to TNN as listed earlier in this post?

Just would like to know they fixed/changed all the bolts recommended by 61-10.

Thanks.

#69 ·
Re: (aintsheswede)

My wife and I just purchased a 2010 XC90 AWD this past July. She just discovered the popping noise at low speed during turns coming from the front end. It sounds to me like this problem has never been fixed. We're only at 3500 miles. What's the problem? What's the solution?

#72 ·
Does popping change steering alignment?

One thing I have not seen mentioned here is whether your steering wheel is in a different postion after you hear the sound. I have a 2007, and I hear a combination thunk/spring sound occasionally when backing out of the garage and hitting the brakes. Then the steering wheel alignment changes a few degrees. Sometimes its dead center, somtimes a couple degrees right or left. Never know where it will be when I get in the car. Drives me nuts. Only 25K.

#151 ·
One thing I have not seen mentioned here is whether your steering wheel is in a different postion after you hear the sound. I have a 2007, and I hear a combination thunk/spring sound occasionally when backing out of the garage and hitting the brakes. Then the steering wheel alignment changes a few degrees. Sometimes its dead center, somtimes a couple degrees right or left. Never know where it will be when I get in the car. Drives me nuts. Only 25K.
I've been noticing this since I did the last control arm bushings replacement, as well as new popping noises when turning right at slow speeds. My VIN falls within range of the TNN 61-10 bulletin. Should I buy new rear control arm bolts/nuts? This person never replied back to say if this fixed the issue. Anyone think maybe I could try torquing them a little more?

#73 ·
Same here, I just got my car about 3 weeks ago. Just noticed the sound since last week. Everytime I back out the garage, with a little brake. I can hear/feel the spring clicking noise from the front(maybe break). Called dealer yesterday, they said it is normal when the car is fresh started in the morning but should not do that during the day. So I will monitor this and maybe visit the shop tomorrow.

Modified by sunkids at 6:47 AM 12-9-2009

#74 ·
Procedure in Tech Journal 17498 not followed

Sunkids, what year? Is yours new or used? Called dealer again today to check on B pillar inserts on order. Magically they were now in. When I called a couple of weeks ago, they curtly told me they would call. But I digress.

Made appointment to look at front end noise again. But I also reviewed they invoice from the first trip. They referenced the Tech Journal 17498/9, but according to invoice, only replaced the bolts and nuts. Out of curiosity, I had purchased that TJ (what a ripoff...$6.50, plus $7.00 shipping!!). It specifically says to replace the bushings also, with a new part that has 0.5mm less clearance. I tried to mention this to dealer on the phone, and he said they would have to start from scratch. Also, they have no loaner cars and there is a rental place up the street. Well, first call tomorrow is the service manager. Because I think when they state the followed procedure in the Tech Journal, and then didn't, and now I have to go back, they should first start with that problem before "starting from scratch".

Actually I think they would be thankful we have narrowed the problem down and upset their own tech didn't follow the whole procedure, causing more work for them. If Volvo is going to sell Joe Public the tech journals and TNN's, the dealers need to wake up and smell the coffee. Instead of being offended we are trying to assist them so we don't have to go back 3 times. Since the reality is that costs us both time and money.

Okay, sorry about the rant. Just get upset when getting service under warranty feels more like buying a car than having it fixed. Especially when the vehcile had a list price of 55k. Don' get me wrong, I so far love this car. Just wish the dealer would help me love it. Instead of making me think about our Santa Fe with 100k miles and its single trip to the dealer for one minor part, other than oil changes, in six years!

#75 ·
Re: Procedure in Tech Journal 17498 not followed (aintsheswede)

Just came back from dealer, too bad the rain is heavy that time. So "can't duplicat the issue".

I brought this 2006 XC90 2.5T AWD about 3 weeks ago. Before I picked the car, dealer replaced all 4 rotors and break pads. So the break systems are brand new. The spring noise only happen in the morning when the car parked overnight. They said that is normal, because rotor rust. Anyway, I also mention the noise from rear back when the car is cruising at low speed, same answer "can't duplicate the sound". Anybody has the same noise from back?

#76 ·
Loud creaking/poping sound from the left front end! After 20 mints hwy driving on to local road. I heard couple loud springly poping sound from the front. Loud and scary sound ever heard on the XC90. It seems happened on the low-med speed when the car is bouncing around or hit a speed bump. I phoned the dealer this morning and the earliest app is next Monday. ODO will past warranty in 40KM! I didn't hear any sound this morning on the way to work, so I start to worry if they can duplicate the sound next week or not. HGU.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.