OFFICIAL: Weird or popping noises from front right suspension thread

216K views 169 replies 87 participants last post by  Tracker0a01 
#1 ·
Weird noise from front right suspension

** This is now the Official Weird Noise from the front end thread for XC90s **

- chris@swedespeed.com

---------------
Hi,

Once in a while on my front right suspension, I hear like a popping sound or springy suspension sound. Not sure what's going on.

I had the Ball joint recall done in Dec. Could this be the problem?

I just want to get an idea of what it is before taking to the dealer and advise them on what to check for.

THX

#28 ·
My car continues to make the popping, springy sound. Took it back to the dealer, they still refuse to fix anything since they can't duplicate the sound.

What the heck? Can't they try a few things? It seems like a lot of people are having similar problems, but they refuse to fix it.

Anyone in Springfield, PA area that got this problem fixed. If so, which dealer?

I have been to Stillman and Key Stone.

#33 ·
Just dropped off my car again at the dealer. I mentioned to them about the popping sound again, this time they told me there's a recall.

Few months ago, I mentioned to them about the recall but they didn't know anything about it. It takes them almost 4 months to know about the recall?

Why is it that the people in this forum know about the recall notices before the dealer?

I hope this will be the end of the problem after the recall.

#34 ·
Re: Wierd popping noise fix

Same experience yesterday. After numerous times being told that they can't replicate the noise, they called to let me know that there is a service bulletin that requires changing out some bolts, etc. They are waiting for the parts. I'll post when I figure out exacatly what they're doing and, of course, if it actually solves the problem. 49.6K on the car. Just got it in by a hair. The other fun news, new brakes required again (pads done at 32k). Perhaps the new tires, 255/55/18 Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge, are inspiring my wife to drive like she's in my Audi!!!

#164 ·
Re: Wierd popping noise fix

Same experience yesterday. After numerous times being told that they can't replicate the noise, they called to let me know that there is a service bulletin that requires changing out some bolts, etc. They are waiting for the parts. I'll post when I figure out exacatly what they're doing and, of course, if it actually solves the problem. 49.6K on the car. Just got it in by a hair. The other fun news, new brakes required again (pads done at 32k). Perhaps the new tires, 255/55/18 Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge, are inspiring my wife to drive like she's in my Audi!!!
Try checking the front right (psgr side) upper torque mount. That was my problem and it was very annoying and intermittent pops,clunks, etc. Grab the mount with engine stopped and see if there is movement. If so, you can do it yourself and the parts cost is about 30-40 dollars.

#36 ·
Re: Wierd popping noise fix (marcvip99)

Picked up the car this afternoon. According to the receipt, it's bulletin 21-18. They installed 8 SEMS screws and 5 plastic washers ("Add washers and updted bolts to subframe"). In a shocking development, the problem still exists. I was able to recreate it exiting the highway about 5 minutes after picking it up. Anytime there is a load on the front end and the wheel is turned, you hear it. This can be under braking or with a lot of people/stuff in the car. I am not surprised.

They also told me the power seats are fine (I've had the software update), despite the fact that they still randomly move and have a mind of their own.

They were nice enough to give me an '08 XC70 loaner, though I must say, I was really less than impressed with the 3.2. It's only rated at 15/22 mpg and the power is really lacking when compared to nearly all other European and Japanese engines. It's not exactly smooth either.

Oh well, I decided a while ago that this was my first and last Volvo. Too bad, great design on the XC90, but poor execution has me walking to other brands.

#39 ·
Re: Wierd popping noise fix (highseas)

Took mine in for the 30K service today. The dealer service dept. told me bulletin 21-18 applied to 2003 models only and has been corrected for later models. I just learned about bulletin 61-10 from the posting above and will have dealer check that as well. I'll follow up with any results.

#41 ·
Re: Wierd popping noise fix (atornquist)

I just had the control arm bolts replaced per TNN 61-10 (NOISE FROM BOLTS). The dealer gave me a free loaner (job completed after 3.5 hours). Hopefully this addressed the root cause. I'll follow up in about 3K miles (currently 30431 miles) and let you all know.

#42 ·

Quote, originally posted by atornquist »
I just had the control arm bolts replaced per TNN 61-10 (NOISE FROM BOLTS). The dealer gave me a free loaner (job completed after 3.5 hours). Hopefully this addressed the root cause. I'll follow up in about 3K miles (currently 30431 miles) and let you all know.

Where I can find more information about the TNN 61-10?

TIA,
Sergio

#45 ·

Quote, originally posted by atornquist »

I now have about 34K miles and the problem seems to have been resolved with TNN 61-10 (no more popping noises).

#50 ·
Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (Emission)

Quote, originally posted by Emission »
Mine still does it.

Now, I am confident the front end is not going to just fall off (I wasn't so sure back then) so I just live with it... you know, turn up the radio!

It's a "feature."

So your's is still making the noise after the new TNN?

#51 ·
Re: Weird noise from front right suspension (Rangeball)

Yes, we've done the recall fix, replaced suspension parts, and several other adjustments... still makes noises when the suspension is articulated (wheels turned) at low speeds. Nothing is loose (I can push, pull, and yank on the wheels without movement). I still think it may be the sway bar bushings. Dunno.

- Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.