OFFICIAL: Weird or popping noises from front right suspension thread

216K views 169 replies 87 participants last post by  Tracker0a01 
#1 ·
Weird noise from front right suspension

** This is now the Official Weird Noise from the front end thread for XC90s **

- chris@swedespeed.com

---------------
Hi,

Once in a while on my front right suspension, I hear like a popping sound or springy suspension sound. Not sure what's going on.

I had the Ball joint recall done in Dec. Could this be the problem?

I just want to get an idea of what it is before taking to the dealer and advise them on what to check for.

THX

#107 ·
Volvo (TSB) Technical Service Bulletin: VCC-130664 US 2003-03-20 / S80-2-21-0030
"A knocking noise that may occur when driving at low speeds on uneven road or at sharp turns can be caused by one of the rear sub frame bushings moving in the sub-frame. The knocking can sometimes also be felt in the floorboard under the driver’s feet. Install an O-ring between the sub-frame and the bodywork on the rear bushings on both left and right side as a service solution."
This bulletin specifies this fix for S80 models but since the sub frames and bushings are the same on other P2 models, it is likely that S60, V70 and possibly XC90 models may experience the knocking effect also.

#109 ·
I sure would love to find the actual source of this problem - hearing my wife's '07 XC90 'clank/sproing' as she reverses out of the garage and up the driveway annoys me every time.

I'm still convinced that it's related to a loading of the front struts during sharp, high-torque turning.

It's been a wonderful car since buying it new, but this issue is BS.

Andreas

#111 ·
Our 2011 XC90 with 58,000 miles has the clunking popping during low speed turns and under acceleration and deceleration.
Dealer has replaced the axle bolts a trick used on S60Rs as well. Back at the dealer today with a focus on the subframe bushings thanks to this thread.
Seems to happen more frequency on long drives. Drove around on the way to the dealer to get the popping going and it took a while. Just last weekend I drove 400 miles and it was clunking away at every turn and stop.

Car still under warranty and would like to get is sorted before it runs out. Anybody have any new ideas?

#112 ·
Dealer found a Ball Joint on the right hand side that was "bulging" and replaced it. Hope that works.

#113 · (Edited)
I have a weird rubbing noise coming from the front of my 2005 V8 XC90. The noise sounds like there is a plastic piece rubbing or flapping but it only makes the noise when it is cooler outside and when hitting a bump. So it leads me to believe something with the suspension.

I looked under the car but didn't see anything that looked obvious. I also rocked the vehicle side to side when sitting in my driveway to see if the front struts would make any noise but nothing.

Any thoughts?

Does this match the subframe busing issue?

#114 ·
Also experiencing these symptoms (both the popping/springy sound, and the creaking sound when articulated) on my 2004 XC90 2.5T.

So far, from what I read here...

Symptom: Springy/Popping sound
Details: Occasionally hearing a popping sound on front right suspension. Sound is similar to a spring going "boing" or a small rock flicked to the tire.
Possible Solution:
Install Coil Spring Insulator Part No 30645888-6

Symptom: Creaking sound from the front
Details: When the suspension is articulated, turning at low-med speeds - a creaking sound is heard.
Possible Solution:
TNN 61-10
Subframe Bushing Fix
Oring on the subframe bushing

Also, there are other symptoms brought up here which I am not experiencing.

Symptom: groaning/creaking when accelerating, braking down a sharp decent.
Possible fix:
Add some sort of special grease/locktite to the axle spline.

Also, another noise coming from the front end which is attributed to the brake calipers.

Please correct me if some of the details I pointed out here are incorrect.

I am just trying to sort out the information found in this thread.
It seems that the symptoms being discussed here is not limited to only one.
Also, some explanations on the symptoms are a bit confusing. Not to be going mental here or anything but after reading the 4 pages set out here, I myself am now confused what a "pop" or a "creak" sounds like.

From what I learned with fixing cars, a "popping" problem is totally different to a "crunching" problem
For example, a "creak" is a sound, usually associated with door hinges...which means it is being created by friction, usually from 2 metal surfaces, rubbing together in one continuous motion...hence it could be associated with bushings and the likes.
A "pop" on the other hand, is usually used to refer something like "popping a balloon"...which relates to something giving instantly, due to excess pressure...thus this could be problems associated with springs or balljoints, etc.
A crunch is also different to a click...but Im gonna stop ranting now.
Like I said, I dont want to be going mental here or anything but Im just trying to isolate each problem at hand.

As for my XC, I experience both problems.
The "boing" problem, which I experience in an intermittent basis, but usually noticed during cold engine driving. I think the culprit here is the spring experiencing friction...and resonating to the tires(cause it seems to me, the tires are the ones going boing) - which should be pretty much close to harmless - but very irritating.

The other is the creak when driving up the driveway. I usually get it when I have my tires turned close to full right. At first, I thought it must be a CV joint slipping but after experimenting with it(accelerating faster during the turn, etc.) I noticed that its not "torque related" but more so articulation related.

In the end, its all just an elimination game...eliminate problems one at a time.

And here is where Murphy's Law comes in..."When facing a problem with multiple possible solutions...go with the easiest (or should I say,cheapest) solution first."

#117 ·
I simply can't be alive that even on 2011 Colva didn't solve this problem. Big shame selling the car with so simple solution but
obviously no one care about this.

When I saw new xc model and big publicity about design ever where they just writing and talking about interior a little about engines but no one not on one page or sentence about platform and common 10 years problems.
And they expect that we will buy again Volvo after all this problems just because they put better sound and more plastics on big screen? When I found that VCC is
publish some fix they never call or
recall people to visit shop and repair for free all this common mistakes in technical issues...maybe in USA this was regulated better but in Europe they never invite us if good service guy didn't tell me I never know about many issues.
That you have the same problems on 2011 model and my friend on 2012 it's shame from VCC.

#118 ·
UPDATE !!!

2 days ago I ordered from IPD USA some parts for finaly solving this problem.
As soon service Volvo will install I will post improvements and toughts...
This I ordered:

TRANSACTION#

ENTRY DATE

LINES

CHARGES

REF#

TYPE

STATUS

354xxx

2014-08-10

$104.06

REGULAR ORDER

COMPLETED

THIS TRANSACTION HAS BEEN PROCESSED AND CLOSED

ITEM#

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

QUANTITY
ORDERED

QUANTITY
RESERVED

QUANTITY
SHIPPED

UNIT NET

EXT NET

STATUS

THREADLOCKER 242 0.5MIL

COMPLETED

4PACK POLY SUBFRAME BUSH INSERT KIT P80/P2 W/ LUBE

COMPLETED

POLY BUSHING SUBFRAME INSERT KIT P80 / P2

-

SHIPPABLE

ORING SUBFRAME

COMPLETED

SUBFRAME BUSHING PLASTIC WASHER KIT (4 PER KIT) P80 P2

COMPLETED

MERCHANDISE:

SHIPPING:

PAYMENT 5K558204C0xxxxxxxxY:

-104.06 us$

TOTAL DUE:

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/8969/120168-ipd-poly-subframe-bushing-insert-kit

#119 ·
And this one 2 pcs.
http://www.ipdusa.com/products/8283/115683-subframe-o-ring-addresses-sub-frame-knocking-noise

Volvo (TSB) Techinical Service Bulletin: VCC-130664 US 2003-03-20 / S80-2-21-0030

"A knocking noise that may occur when driving at low speeds on uneven road or at sharp turns, can be caused by one of the the rear subframe bushings moving in the sub-frame. The knocking can sometimes also be felt in the floorboard under the drivers feet. Install an O-ring between the sub-frame and the bodywork on the rear bushings on both left and right side as a service solution."

This bulletin specifies this fix for S80 models but since the subframes and bushings are the same on other P2 models, it is likely that S60, V70 and possibly XC90 models may experience the knocking effect also.

Knocking noises are more commonly a result of worn out sway bar end links.

#133 ·
This will probably be the least helpful post in this thread, but my car was doing this too and stopped immediately after putting in lowering springs and new sway bars. Not sure which of the two, or whether it was the combination of both, cured it.

-- DavidV :D
Where did you get the lowering springs and which brand? I checked CarId and they do not carry any.

#124 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED NO MORE STRANGE SOUNDS SQUEAKING Squeezing SCRATCHING OR ANY SOUND on low speed turning wheels ect - THIS PARTS SOLVED PROBLEM.

Sorry guys for late reply after few months. I was on new project in UK and I change all this to solve this problem.
After few months of driving and over 6000 km YES im happy and I share this with you.

#125 ·
Photos arriving what I change to solve this problem.
At first all this parts above.
The main and the best was this 2 rubbers
over the chassis frame back side of engine.

At first we try to just temporary remove (removed bolts from front ROD and small ball joints, tighten
with cable ties and made some testing on road.) Sound remain my service
guy come crazy...:angryfire:

Thank we change front spring seats rubbers and metal supports. Sound gone
for a few days...

Than we place Blue IPD USA inserts in sub-frame and this 2 round black rubbers
and sound totally gone
. :facepalm::partywave:
See photos:

#126 · (Edited)
First need to change this crap:
strut seats and top mounts

Than metal support:

Than place 2 rubbers under the chasis between subframe.
When we change inserts one bolt is snaped - as dummy designer produce
swimming pool over this bolt (standing in front of the car right front one)have a
big place where water is standing = rusting all this years...they drill bolt and
IMPORTANT you must put NEW one. DONT USE OLD ONE. NEVER.

Bolt snaped on this one:

Of course correct engine hanging supports.

#127 · (Edited)
Than place IPD USA blue inserts too in all 4 sub-frame supports.
Old rubbers was good service guy told me but I dont like it
If I order all new parts I wont also to change this but he insist...
I dont like it at the end. See photos.
Dont forget to put WHITE inserts too. Very important. See photo.

Subframe O-ring 2 pcs. (Addresses sub-frame knocking noise) 8638585

#128 · (Edited)
Bear in mind that Blue inserts is going tight inside (you have in package also good lubricant)
but you can cut it slightly...as you can see on photo I dont like that he didnt change all
4 old big supports. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:mad:

Anyway I made also quite bit remont of many other parts but very important for
solving all vibrations of engine. Engine supports MUST be changed as you see from
photos just after 3 years most of already changed supports was weared worstly.
(crap made in Romania for Volvo). Rubber is tooooo soft and of course recycled trash.

This is old photo of engine front and rear support I changed few years ago. Its marked on drawings as C. Front and rear are the same.

This is new torque limiter also after 3 years totally broken I changed again.

I also changed all engine supports. See the big one. Marked on drawing with letter...B.

Oil was from top cam sealing (not changed on big service LOL ) now I changed all 3 on top of engine. Sorry for offtopic.

And new support quite big one.

Now I must inform you guys that Im happy no more awful sounds on traffic lights, parking places and shame in silence environment
when people is laughing what is this crap sound from so reputable name of Lolvo Car Corporation.
Now you must know that all engine is fixed - everything seems tighten and riding is perfect you can
feel immediately difference. Bear in mind that you can get now some other small vibration but not so
important as with Blue inserts, new supports ect engine and car chassis is like one peace.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Im recommending to everyone this parts.

And for the end of this post photos and last comments:

#130 · (Edited)
For those of you with 3.2L XC90's, you may want to look at the following part for front right clunking noises:
30680591 (new part number 30793797); Engine Pad.

It is the lower passenger side engine mount (pad), and can be accessed by removing the front passenger side rim (its more toward the front of the car from the drive axle). Mine was torn completely and was the culprit for my front right clunking. 6 bolts and some support on the oil pan and it is fixed!

EDIT:

I thought this fixed it, but it did not. It wound up being the sway bar link.

#131 ·
After few months of change all mentioned parts car is like new. Not one simple squeek creak or noise. Enjoying in driving and reccomend to everyone to do this after few years listening big crap noises of bad quality parts from Volvo. All engine mounts pad ring rubbers and struts rubber mounts and other inserts from Ipd usa. Happy!!!:partywave:

#132 ·
I had this same issue on my '99 V70XC. Then I bought an '07 XC90 and was suprised to hear the same exact noise! In the 70 I replaced the front right strut mount and bushing, and the problem was fixed completely! Still have the car, still don't have the popping/squishing. Going to try it on the 90 here soon. I'll post back as soon as I finish, but this should do the trick. Mechanic said this was common because of potholes shoving the shock too hard into the mount, causing the mount to warp and the bushing to become torn and misshapen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.