Getting Power to the Center Speaker (S60 R premium sound).
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Getting Power to the Center Speaker (S60 R premium sound).

I'm ugrading the stereo, but will lose the center speaker as you know since the HU-850 powers the center channel.

So what is the best way to get power to the center speaker? I really don't want to lose it. The sound quality is noticably diminished when its unplugged, IMO.

Also, do you think mounting the nav antennae under the grill on the dash will be too close to the center speaker and cause interference? I plan on testing this once I get it installed, but thought I would ask.

Thanks for the advice!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Getting Power to the Center Speaker (S60 R premium sound). (Capital R)

Actually, this should be realitively straight forward. The new headunit comes with a plug that contains all of the necessary outs. The green connector plugged into the back of the factory HU has the speaker wires to power the center speaker (not thru the amp). You can splice a jumper wire between the new HU connector to the center speaker wires and you should be in business. Overall, this shouldn't be a huge problem. I am not sure which of the wires in the green factory connector are for the speaker, so you will have to trace them back to the speaker.

Hope this helps, Wireguy

Re: Getting Power to the Center Speaker (S60 R premium sound). (Capital R)

Quote, originally posted by Capital R »
      I'm ugrading the stereo, but will lose the center speaker as you know since the HU-850 powers the center channel.

So what is the best way to get power to the center speaker? I really don't want to lose it. The sound quality is noticably diminished when its unplugged, IMO.

Also, do you think mounting the nav antennae under the grill on the dash will be too close to the center speaker and cause interference? I plan on testing this once I get it installed, but thought I would ask.

Thanks for the advice!

The Kenwood DNX7100 doesn't have a center channel function.
      Just speaker and amp outs for the four corners and a sub.
      This HU has a pile of cool features, but Dolby Surround with a center channel
      isn't one of them.
      There are ways to do it, but I would recommend getting some advice
      from a local audio system pro. A real pro...

As for the GPS antenna, if there is a steel plate in the dash pad core, hang it up.
      It's gonna have to go ON the dash, or for better reception, the roof.

'98 V70 R - Is the AWD worth it? You Betcha!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: Getting Power to the Center Speaker (BEJinFbk)

The unit has a sub preout, but I don't plan on using it. Can I use this output for the center speaker? If so, I just need to get power to the speaker and it should work? I just don't know if the sub preout cuts out high frequency and just sends low frequency bass signals? Any experience with this?

Thanks!

Re: Getting Power to the Center Speaker (Capital R)

There's a couple things you left out . Poss., 1st are you only using the headunit power or are you adding amps?, 2nd if you are using amps don't hook up your fact center channel to to sub out, because it wont do anything, and usually only has a low pass. filter on it. Your best bet would be to do a small center channel amplifier(around 25 watts max) or if your going to do amps do a digital theater amp which will do 6 ch. for surround sound. You really don't want to hook the center channel of the speaker output of your new headunit because there is no real way to get left and right mix, and hooking up left pos. and right neg. isnt going to be good for the speaker after about a week or to (depending on how loud you listen).

Re: Getting Power to the Center Speaker (triumphguy)

I know you're probably pumped about a new HU,
      But if you haven't picked up the Kenwood yet,
      I'd start shopping for something with similar features
      that DOES have a 5.1 decoder and is actually designed
      for Dolby Surround. Now is the time. Hit the net, guy.
      '98 V70 R - Is the AWD worth it? You Betcha!

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements