SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

URGENT! Road trip w/family Monday AM + Master window switch failed, drive window stuck down.window

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Big Will 
#1 ·
Resolved! Road trip w/family Monday AM + Master window switch failed, drive window stuck down.window

See below for workaround; thanks to everyone who contributed.

In case you missed it in the long title:

"URGENT! Road trip w/family Monday AM + Master window switch failed, drive window stuck down." It failed about 5 hours ago on the way to a wedding. Nice.

The irony is my eBay switch is waiting for me at my destination...7 hours away in Long Island, NY.

So the question is; is there a way to raise the window (and keep it raised) for my scheduled departure around 5am on Monday? I suspect not, but ...

If not, I will postpone by one day and have my local shop swap in a donor, raise the window, then swap back in my defective switch.

Thanks for any input.

Modified by double-0-newb-2 at 8:36 AM 7-22-2007

Modified by double-0-newb-2 at 8:48 AM 7-22-2007

See less See more
#2 ·
if you have a can of compressed air or maybe some contact cleaner you could remove the switch, blow air onto it to clean it off and then re-install. Sometimes that makes it work again for a while.

#3 ·
Re: URGENT! Road trip w/family Monday AM + Master window switch failed, driv ... (double-0-newb-2)

Well, not sure if it will work for you but... I would (WARNING: this just what I would do on My own car, if you don't feel comfortable- DO NOT ATTEMPT) pull out the old switch and make attempt to connect contacts on the terminal with piece of wire.. basically what switch does just change the voltage polarity on window motor. So if you lucky you should be able to identify contacts and roll the window up..
Good luck.

#4 ·
Re: URGENT! Road trip w/family Monday AM + Master window switch failed, driv ... (Papa_Kirlo)

I was thinking that but dared not to post it!
(do at your own risk).

#6 ·
Re: (double-0-newb-2)

Whoa there.

Be very careful. There are 3 plugs and your guess will bee as good as ours which one is the one to jump.
Everything plugs into that switch, front windows, rear windows, door locks, etc
You may short out the entire system or you may just blow a fuse.
I mean if there's no rain just drive it with the window down! What's the big deal?

#7 ·
JRL,
On the one hand, I agree with you that it is no big deal driving with the window down. Most of us did that as kids in the back of our parents cars with no AC, heck not even seat belts (ahh my dads Citroen DS-21 wagon; more metal inside a car you could not get....)

On the other hand, in the back seat will be my wife and 1.5 and 3.5 yr old kids (not to mention my mother-in-law up front) for about 7hrs of higway driving...

#8 ·

Came back from a field camp once to a pick-up of my buddies at a boat launch.
Some jerks had broken into the truck by way of the passenger window.

Of course, it had been raining pretty good after the glass had been broken,
so that really made the experience, BUT:
My well prepared friend had a handful of large, clear trash bags in the truck
and was always well equipped with various tapes.

Slide the bag over the top half of the door, tape to suit and Voila!
Which worked out very well for your's truly, the passenger, for the rainy trip home.
(Used another one for the well soaked seat cushions...)

I always travel with these kind of emergeny supplies now.
Bags, Tape, Flame makers, Toilet Paper, yada yada yada...

Glad to hear you got it! I'll have to add contact cleaner to my kit. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#9 ·

Quote, originally posted by double-0-newb-2 »
Big Will: THAT WORKED! Awesome, thanks.
Where do I send the bottle of Glenmorangie?
https://www.glenmorangie.com/landing/index.php

Removed driver's window button (was semi-damaged for a while now), sprayed, BANG window goes up, button still in my hand.

Papa_Kirlo & JRL: the small cabin fire that ensued should make the drive that much more comfortable...jk

Thanks

Glad that worked. Nice choice of scotch. I'd personally go with the basic 12 yr. It's the highest rated by Jim Murray and the best priced. Make sure you use the proper glass (tulip shaped) and ad a splash of Highland Spring water after the first taste.

#10 ·
Trip post-mortem.

Between Albany and LI, the skies opened up and let loose with a ton of rain. Tolls along the way required opening the door and leaning out.

Swapped-in the eBay salvaged switch, and life is good (except rear left window will go down, wont come up...troubleshooting now.).

Received and

#11 ·

Quote, originally posted by double-0-newb-2 »
Trip post-mortem.

Between Albany and LI, the skies opened up and let loose with a ton of rain. Tolls along the way required opening the door and leaning out.

Swapped-in the eBay salvaged switch, and life is good (except rear left window will go down, wont come up...troubleshooting now.).

Received and
Probably STILL a bad switch

#12 ·
Re: (JRL)

Some parts are best purchased new. Luck may be on your side, and you MAY find a (7 to 9 year old!) good, used window switch, but I wouldn't bet on it. All my window switches that have gone to the 'window switch land in the sky' have been replaced with new ones. Guess what
? They all worked & no "troubleshooting" was required. Well worth whatever it cost me at the time, IMO.

#13 ·
Hey there, I'm glad that it worked and hopefully now you've come up with a more permanent solution! And like Bob, I'm a Chimay guy http://********************/smile/emthup.gif j/k Best wishes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.