Another Squealer -What should I do?-
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Another Squealer -What should I do?-

Well, my 2.4i has a higher pitch squealing noise similar to the ones in these threads.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=80861
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=79944
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=80761

I have 60k miles and all maintenance is current. The noise started the other day and I've driven it some since. Today, I got a check engine light and the code as read by the guy at Advance Auto is: P0171 - System too Lean. So naturally I thought it was a vacuum leak. And by the sounds of the other posts it's probably at the PCV valve. There is no oil leak, yet. The question is what should I do? I can take it to the dealer but they want $112 for a diagnostic check. She's out of warranty too so I'm basically paying for anything they have to do unless by some miracle I catch a break. So I would think to just dive in and replace the PCV valve. But then the scenario plays out where that's not the fix, maybe I replace all the oil filter housing stuff too, it's still not fixed and I end up taking it to the dealer where it's now certainly not covered by any kind of warranty because I've been in there monkeying around.

So take it to the dealer and hope for the best?
      Start replacing stuff, it's probably just the PCV valve? I was poking around a little: isn't the PCV valve hidden under the plastic intake manifold?

Also, any recommendations for a dealer in the Baltimore area? I found four:
      Annapolis Volvo
      Koons, Owings Mills
      Herb Gordon, Silver Spring
      Bill Kidd, Cockeysville <- Where I bought it

Thanks!
      Jake

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There is no (replacement) PCV valve, Sorry.

From what I've read, the dreaded PCV issue is with T5 cars only.

Re: (Weedly)

Huh, So what could it be then?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: (Weedly)

Quote, originally posted by Weedly »
      From what I've read, the dreaded PCV issue is with T5 cars only.

False. Same issue with either engine.

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Re: Another Squealer -What should I do?- (GoBerserk)

just me but my thoughts are the crank case vent is covered by Fed /sate smog laws which I think go as high as 15 years 100,000 miles. Alls I know from my Honda racing days (long time ago) Honda had an issue with EGR? don't know but the fed made them cover the smog part of the car for 14 years or something, don't know now but I got the flyer in the mail. This is a smog part and I smell a class action suit please Volvo continue to screw your customers, I guess customer service and retention are not part of socialized democracies.
      http://www.anr.state.vt.us/air...e.pdf

NOTE TO VOLVO: Take it from an oldman or from Oldman himself, don’t play Intel Pentium I stupid, if these cars are failing then you best design a part that wont fail and fix ALL the S40 / V50 out there under recall or you can basically kiss your company goodbye as a HUGE percentage of new younger Volvo owners buy this model and you need to only screw each customer once for 10!!!! Customers never to come back. But to be honest after the sub-prime blowup, which I knew would happen, I don’t expect much from the people that run the world, to stupid to keep their own gravy train going. I smell Honda SI calling my name with LSD stock and the clutch won’t fail the first time at the drags (yes I race with guys with SI that go every weekend and yes I raced my GS-R for many many years autoX and 1/4 mile on the OEM clutch).

Re: Another Squealer -What should I do?- (Oldman)

Quote, originally posted by Oldman »
      just me but my thoughts are the crank case vent is covered by Fed /sate smog laws which I think go as high as 15 years 100,000 miles.

Unfortunately no - this part is 4 years/50K miles if the car was purchased new. 2005 sample: http://new.volvocars.com/owner...ml#32

Quote »
      Page 33

Crankcase Emission Control System
      Oil Trap with Crankcase Pressure Regulator
      PCV Connections, Calibrated Orifices
      PTC nipple, Intake Manifold Nipple
      Fresh Air Hose
      Vacuum Nipple, Coolant Heated

Tom.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD

Re: Another Squealer -What should I do?- (tmtalpey)

yep and Volvo sticks to that they can basically kiss their new buyer custmer base goodby forever I don't know what to say about a company that can't design a PCV system. Dirt simple if you ask me.

I tried to get a valve from Autozone/Advance Auto but they had none listed. Which made me think maybe it was only available from the dealer, but now, based on your input, I'm thinking it doesn't even exist. So if there is no replacement PCV valve available, is it the oil trap I need to replace?

Re: (GoBerserk)

I may run a catch can or I may just cut the line and put a T in it and dump the otherside to the ground... works well on a VW turbo, called the elephant hose mod. Many guys did XYZ on the VW but none worked and VWs would suck the vapor into the intake and fill the intercooler and pipes with greasy slug.. all fun... .NOT.

I am young... that was my first volvo ever I bought... I was screwed with the pcv valve problem with a nice bill of 750$ !! That is for sure my first and my last Volvo ever !!!

Re: Another Squealer -What should I do?- (GoBerserk)

The PCV issue is really easy to fix. Just trade in your Volvo and never look back.

Re: Another Squealer -What should I do?- (RedV50)

Quote, originally posted by RedV50 »
      The PCV issue is really easy to fix. Just trade in your Volvo and never look back.

I would like to do it but I will loose to much for now

I've been thinking about doing that. See, it's a leased car and the term expires next spring. I'll likely be near or over my miles. So there is also the question of do I keep the car, sell it before the term is up, pay for any extra miles and give it back.

Given these problems though I really don't want to keep it. Which is a darn shame because I had high hopes for the S40. My family had an older '86? 240 Sedan that was freakin' awesome. It was totally reliable and would tow our camper and boat (not at the same time ) everywhere. It's sad that Volvo has totally gone down the tubes.

Re: Another Squealer -What should I do?- (Pass)

Got THAT right. KBB says My S40 is worth HALF what I paid for it just over 2 yrs ago. Does have quite a few highway miles on it however..... Shame they/WE take such a beating because used Volvo's normally "Have Issues"

I called the dealer about the PCV and Oil filter housing parts. They want $112 for the Oil filter housing, $12 for some gaskets, $30 for a new PCV valve and I should probably change the oil while I'm at it. So it's probably going to be near $200 in parts. I'm going to start taking it apart tonight to see if I can inspect any of those parts to determine what's damaged and what's not.

As far as the noise is concerned - where does it come from? Is it an air-trying-to-get-by-a-clog noise? or is it indeed a blown or distressed bearing? It sounds like it could be either.

Also, like most other cars it doesn't make the noise when cold.

You may also need the breather box. Seems that most people who have gotten their cars repaired for this, myself included, also had the breather box replaced.

Re: (lrosales)

Ok, thanks. I'll check that too.

I'd be interested what they meant by "breather box" - do you have a part number on that?

The thing to check, and it isn't easy, is the manifold gasket and the airways leading to it. They are calibrated holes, and if they get gummed up, replacing the oil trap and relief valve/PCV isn't going to make much of a difference. In other words, to do the job right, the manifold probably ought to come off too.

Tom.

2016 XC60 T6 AWD

Re: (tmtalpey)

Sorry I don't know what the name of the part is, it may in fact be what they call the breather box, but it looks new so it must have been replaced to fix this issue. Okay here it goes. It's the black part maybe a foot long that is between the radiator area and the engine. It's next to the air filter box. it also has some wire connectors coming from it, and it has multiple ridges that run from front of car to rear. I can take a picture of it this afternoon, if I made no sense here.

edit: it is connected to what I think is the throttle body.

Sorry I don't know what the name of the part is, it may in fact be what they call the breather box, but it looks new so it must have been replaced to fix this issue. Okay here it goes. It's the black part maybe a foot long that is between the radiator area and the engine. It's next to the air filter box. it also has some wire connectors coming from it, and it has multiple ridges that run from front of car to rear. I can take a picture of it this afternoon, if I made no sense here.

Actually, the part I'm refering to is clearly visible in this video posted by RedV50.

http://www.coresupport.net/bigheadache/movie.wmv

Re: Another Squealer -What should I do?- (POWERSTROKE)

My KBB is 19,500 if iirc. Got the car for like 24.5

Quote, originally posted by lrosales »

Actually, the part I'm refering to is clearly visible in this video posted by RedV50.

Yeah, I have a 2.4i, not the turbo. So my engine bay looks a little different.

Quote, originally posted by tmtalpey »

The thing to check, and it isn't easy, is the manifold gasket and the airways leading to it. They are calibrated holes, and if they get gummed up, replacing the oil trap and relief valve/PCV isn't going to make much of a difference. In other words, to do the job right, the manifold probably ought to come off too.

What manifold exactly? The intake manifold? I wouldn't think there were oil passages in that part so you must mean something else . . .

Quote, originally posted by lrosales »
      It's next to the air filter box. it also has some wire connectors coming from it, and it has multiple ridges that run from front of car to rear.

That's the intake manifold. The ridges add strength (it's plastic), and the wires are the fuel injectors. Sounds like the crud did in fact clog the airways.

Tom.

2016 XC60 T6 AWD

On the 2.4i the oil filter housing is on the front of the engine. Sorta below where the throttle is on the turbo (according to RedV50s video). There is a tube (I reckon it's the PCV tube) that runs up the front face of the engine and then back over the top and disappears under the intake manifold. And to get to the oil filter housing I have to take part of the pre-MAF intake ducting out. So basically I have to take the whole intake system out up to the block in order to reach all of the oil/PCV parts I think need checking. So, does anyone know of a good service manual. I'm especially looking for torque values and tightening pattern (if any) for the intake manifold.

Quote, originally posted by GoBerserk »
      . So basically I have to take the whole intake system out up to the block in order to reach all of the oil/PCV parts I think need checking. So, does anyone know of a good service manual.

There isn't a repair manual. You can get copies of the earlier VADIS dvd's, but they end at 2005 and aren't exactly designed for home repair. This isn't a trivial job.

To answer your other question, there aren't oil passages in the intake, but there are calibrated passages to pass any crankcase vapors to the cylinders to be burned. If these passages clog, then replacing the ventilator and PCV will do nothing. More detail: https://forums.swedespeed.com/z...28793

Tom.

2016 XC60 T6 AWD

right buy a new volvo and you can't even expect to buy a stinking repair manual. What a surprise. and gee even if you did pay $750 for the dealer monkey to fix this busted PCV design what then, it is the same FREAKEN part so you will still be screwed in a few years...

Sorry but I've had my say, either Volvo fixes ALL our cars and send every single customer their money back that already paid to fix this BUSTED design or Volvo can count thier days as a car company...

Toyota V6s in the late 90s were blowing smoke due to insane OEM drain intervals and Texas heat and the truck / Camry being used in HD service. Silent recall, Toyota fixed every single engine. VW same deal with the 1.8T nobody but people in the know ever got wind of it. Now Volvo's turn, fix it now for millions or count on losing your entire young customer base.

I'm getting p!ssed, don't even get me started on the POS clutch. Oh did I say my radio which does not pick up AM has been "fixed" twice and my 10 year old put put Honda with the base radio has no problems at all. Yes I listen to talk radio, is it too much to ask that my $700.00 upgrade stereo actually work better then a cheap base Honda one or the Cheap base one in the Dodge Van?

Modified by Oldman at 8:20 PM 8-13-2007

I read in another post to unscrew the oil cap as the engine is running to see if any air escapes. This would indicate pressure is building in the crankcase/head. Well, sure enough, I get a very audible whoosh every time I unscrew it. Maybe I should just leave it unscrewed and call it a day .

oil would splash all over the place.... You need a catch can and a split in the line going down to the oil filter housing..

Re: (Oldman)

Thanks, yeah I was joking

Re: (Oldman)

Quote, originally posted by Oldman »
      You need a catch can and a split in the line going down to the oil filter housing..

Have you done this to your car yet? I don't know enough about the PCV system so I'm concerned a catch can system will, in the long run, damage something else.

I've done it on MANY cars but no mine yet, I did pickup a Honda that I actually drive and race because of my Volvo issues. I can't see how fresh air would hurt and you can even put an oil based air filter on the catch can vent if you want all filtered air in and out.

Quote, originally posted by GoBerserk »
      sure enough, I get a very audible whoosh every time I unscrew it. Maybe I should just leave it unscrewed and call it a day .

Pull the dipstick out so its o-rings become unsealed, that will vent the crankcase until you can get the problem fixed. It may still blow oil, you will want to protect it with some sort of nonflammable cap to prevent spray. Wire a small can over it perhaps.

Tom.

2016 XC60 T6 AWD

I started taking it apart last night. I got the intake up to the throttle out as well as the radiator fan. Talk about a bear! Disconnecting the airbox is easy enough as long as you don't break off the little tab on the bottom. But then it's trapped by the intake manifold and the radiator fan. I tried just unhooking the fan from the radiator but that didn't give me enough room. So eventually I took the bracket off that supports the bottom of the radiator and the whole assembly dropped a couple inches onto the inside lip of the bumper. That created enough room to pull the airbox out the top. Whew! The airbox probably didn't have to come out. I could move it pretty far to the driver's side so I could access the oil filter housing. But now there is a nice big hole in which to work.

there was enough flex in my fan housing to get my air box off. A major pain to be sure, keep us posted.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast