Replacing/upgrading oem turbo & headlights on a 2000 V70 AWD
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Replacing/upgrading oem turbo & headlights on a 2000 V70 AWD

I am sure that this info is somewhere in this forum If any would could share some old info, about this old upgrade. I sure would appreciate it.

I am on my 2nd turbo, and she is starting to act like she smoked a pack of Pall Mall (Filterless) cigarettes

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It might not be your turbo going bad. Your car could literally just be having trouble breathing. The PCV system is a common thing to replace on high mileage S/V70s. Make sure simple things like your air filter is fresh. I don't remember the replacement interval on these b/c I have a washable filter, but it can't hurt to replace it every 10K or so.

As for turbo upgrades...Your car came with a 19T turbo which is about the biggest turbo that came stock on that generation of Volvo. Others can probably chime in on going with aftermarket ones, but you can certainly get an ECU upgrade to make your current turbo produce more power.
      BUT, make sure your car is in good tune before making upgrades.

98 V70 AWD - M58 Gearbox | VAST tune | 20T turbo | Green injectors | NA intake & throttle body, EST Intake, Snabb Fresh Air Pipe & Reverse Intercooler Piping | R Manifold, TME Downpipe, TME Exhaust | IPD Swaybars, Volvo Strut Brace, Öhlins Roadholding Suspension | 302mm front rotors, vented R rears, SS Brake lines | E-code C70 jewel headlamps. Engine build thread

headlights

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: (OSR)

Man those are sweet headlights! What are they? That must have cost you a pretty penny.
      '09 S80 (wife's for a few more months)
      '09 BMW 328i MT
      '02 BMW 525i wagon
      '12 BMW 328i MT (on order)
      '11 Lexus ES 350 (wife'

Re: (soledoc)

Yeah headlights . . .

You two are about to make me as as someone driving a Yota tail-gating in the snow . . .

Re: Replacing/upgrading oem turbo & headlights on a 2000 V70 AWD (PPCS2000)

I've replaced OEM headlights with European version. Pretty happy with it and didn't cost arms and legs.
      06 V70R Sonicap
      surf/skate/snow/smile-mobile
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

Re: (Big Will)

Quote, originally posted by Big Will »

As for turbo upgrades...Your car came with a 19T turbo which is about the biggest turbo that came stock on that generation of Volvo.

I think he has an XC70 not a V70R, which had the 19T.

Its a LPT so an ECU upgrade and possibly a downpipe would be the extent of upgrading with the stock internals and turbo.

2016 V60CC Platinum
      2016 S60CC Platinum
      2017 XC90 Momentum Plus (family)

Previous:
      2017 S90 Inscription T6 AWD, 2019 XC40 R-Design T5 AWD, 2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD , 2018 V60 Polestar #103/1500, 2016 XC90 R-Design, 2013 C30 Polestar #141/250,2015.5 V60 R-Design,1998 V70 T5M, 1999 S70 GLT, 2000 V70R, 2004 V70R, 2006 V70R Sonic Blue, 2006 V70R Electric Silver, 2007 V70R Passion Red, 2003 XC90 2.5T, 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Electric Silver, 2007 XC90 Sport V8, Passion Red

Ahh yes, I thought I read "R" in there but clearly not. So your car has a 13g turbo. Well, there's no reason why you still couldn't upgrade the turbo with proper tuning, at least to a 16t. That would be a fast Volvo! Again, with proper tuning.
      98 V70 AWD - M58 Gearbox | VAST tune | 20T turbo | Green injectors | NA intake & throttle body, EST Intake, Snabb Fresh Air Pipe & Reverse Intercooler Piping | R Manifold, TME Downpipe, TME Exhaust | IPD Swaybars, Volvo Strut Brace, Öhlins Roadholding Suspension | 302mm front rotors, vented R rears, SS Brake lines | E-code C70 jewel headlamps. Engine build thread

Re: (PPCS2000)

Quote, originally posted by PPCS2000 »

You two are about to make me as as someone driving a Yota tail-gating in the snow . . .

Huh?

'09 BMW 328i MT
      '02 BMW 525i wagon
      '11 Lexus ES 350 (wife'

http://www.dtmwerks.com

we had a group buy for them on VS it was $330 shipped for headlights and corners I think with out the group buy there $400 shipped or there abouts.

there two people that sell these , both on ebay only difference is ones turns signal has yellow in it or the one like I have are just black on the sides

How's the lighting output on the high/low beams? How easy is it to switch bulbs? How easy is the install?
      '09 BMW 328i MT
      '02 BMW 525i wagon
      '11 Lexus ES 350 (wife'

My "Ole Tmr" is a 2000 V70 XC SE . . . 139k rough miles . . . there is nothin like racing a Corvette in a Grocery Store parking lot I would have won if it weren't for that donkey . . .

Here are the specs for me "Ole Tmr":

VIN YV1LZ56D8Y2703110
      Year/Make/Model: 2000 VOLVO V70XC AWD/SE
      Body Style: STATION WAGON
      Engine Type: 2.4L L5 PFI DOHC 20V
      Manufactured In: SWEDEN

I have just started with some minor mods "V70R" Dual exhaust, Denso Iridium plugs, Brembo's, K&N filter . . . As soon as I can find out what is causing me to replace the turbo yearly:sly: I am going for the ECU flash, a new turbo and downpipe Then I am going to find Grandma and her cherry red corvette . . . I can get her . . . . . . I can

I believe Chris has put me ontrack with the available mods for "Ole Tmr". I look forward reading your input

Re: (PPCS2000)

With those miles I wouldn't do a damn thing excapt bring it back to stage "0"
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 116K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 153,000 miles and still near perfect!

Quote, originally posted by soledoc »
      How's the lighting output on the high/low beams? How easy is it to switch bulbs? How easy is the install?

Lighting is really good once I went to HIDS from http://www.mydepots.com

To remove the headlights and install new ones is remove the corner light by pushing downt the tab that holds them in place.

Remove the three bolts per headlight houseing and the headlight falls right out. Install the new bolts, with the new headlights, and reinstall the new turnsignals and your done

takes about a hr that inclueds re aiming the headlights. a very easy modifacation you could probally get a trained monkey to do it

Re: (JRL)

Thanks for your input When I was growing up in nowhere USA. They had a saying, "You can talk all you want from the porch! But one day you have to come off of the porch . . . and hit someone!"

I have been off the porch my entire life . . .

"Ole Tmr" is paid for, there is no warranty, so why not take it to the next level (If it will make)? I bet you eat the same "Microwave" dishes everyday, buy your clothes online and married your 1st Grade girlfriend . . . You plain wrapper people kill me!

Live a little, stimulate your mind, drive over the speed limit . . . make a difference in the world!

That is my time . . . donkey wipe!

Big Will you are "Metal-on-Metal" or Bullseye! I finally got frustrated after I lost ignition coil#4, and took "Ole Tmr" to the stealership. I gave my left arm and four toes off of my good foot , but I did find out that my PCV was . . . well you already knew. Thank you so much for the spot

OSR & Soledoc, I owe you guys an apology for the post about being mad. I could not see the headlights pix that OSR posted. I was reading the post, and couldn't see the pix because of the "Security Posture" where I was viewing the post

ok ?

lol

One more thing to add regarding lighting:

While I really like the look of the lights posted, and cost wise that's a great option, I just want to make you aware of a couple others.

You can get the updated "jewel" headlamps from a 2003+ C70 which look beautiful IMO in either the DOT spec or Euro spec versions. The Euro spec is quite expensive but have a nice lighting pattern that helps to illuminate the side of the road better. My experience is that these are an upgrade in lighting even with simple quality stock Volvo bulbs (Osram). Viva Performance sells the headlamps if you're interested, or you can ask your dealer, but they're usually clueless about the perfect compatibility.

Sir, thank you so much for sharing this information. I will look into it ASAP!

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements