iMIV and new iPods (iPhone)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

iMIV and new iPods (iPhone)

We have received quite a few emails regarding the compatibility of the new iPods (Nano G3, iPod Classic G6, and iPod Touch) and iPhone with regards to compatibility with our iMIV product.

There are three aspects to this question:

1) Control functions
      2) Playing Music, and
      3) Playing Video through the dock connector.

Starting with the control functions, they work: both in simple mode and advanced mode. However display feedback on the large screen Touch and iPhone are not supported by Apple. This means that you will not see the iMIV custom logo, or can read out your serial number/firmware revision.

Consequently playing music through the dock connector from the new devices is no problem. Audio compatibility is 100%.

Playing video through the dock connector is another story. Right now we have no conclusive answers. There is a possibility - though remote - that we can enable video output through the dock connector for the current iMIV models. This with the exception of the iPhone which does not support external video ...

A conclusive answer will have to wait once we have completed our testing - in 2-3 weeks. Once completed an announcement will soon follow.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: iMIV and new iPods (iMIV Support)

Quote, originally posted by iMIV Support »
      ...Playing video through the dock connector is another story. Right now we have no conclusive answers. There is a possibility - though remote - that we can enable video output through the dock connector for the current iMIV models. This with the exception of the iPhone which does not support external video ...

A conclusive answer will have to wait once we have completed our testing - in 2-3 weeks. Once completed an announcement will soon follow.

I'm torn between getting a new iPod Nano and the iTouch. But I guess it all depends which one allows video to be displayed on the navigation screen. Oh...the agony of anticipating announcements. Doesn't hurt to be patient.

2006 Volvo XC70 Ocean Race
      2006 Volvo XC90 Ocean Race
      2000 Volvo V70R (Laser Blue) ::SOLD::
      2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring (Plasma Green) ::SOLD::
      2004 Volvo S60R (Flash Green) ::SOLD::
      1998 Volvo V70 NA (White) ::SOLD::

bump...any news on this?

TIA

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: iMIV and new iPods (FEO)

We are getting close ... need to analyze the test results ...

We are getting close ... need to analyze the test results ...

EEEk... I'm gettin' antsy. I just wanna know if I should get the iPod Nano, iTouch, or iPhone.

2006 Volvo XC70 Ocean Race
      2006 Volvo XC90 Ocean Race
      2000 Volvo V70R (Laser Blue) ::SOLD::
      2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring (Plasma Green) ::SOLD::
      2004 Volvo S60R (Flash Green) ::SOLD::
      1998 Volvo V70 NA (White) ::SOLD::

forgive me, for I have sinned.

I just couldn't wait and got a new 5.5G 80GB ipod on ebay ($~200). (+imiv of course)

Not trying to justify my impatience, but I wanted to have an iphone play youtube on the nav system. Seeing that it wasn't going to happen within my lifetime, I opted for keeping a separate phone and bury the ipod in the car to avoid constantly connecting/disconnecting.

If the imiv developers figure out a way of showing iphone web content on the nav screen, route calls through the speakers, AND apple decides to add GPS and 3G to the iphoneV2....then i will sell the ipod and get one of those

Modified by FEO at 1:51 PM 10-16-2007

Modified by FEO at 1:51 PM 10-16-2007

We have some news on iMIV support of the new iPods (iPhone).

As previously mentioned, all audio functions and features work. The large screen iPods (Touch and iPhone) do not support our Advanced mode logo, or retrieval of serial number (yet). This merely is a cosmetic issue.

The video support we have been asked about, and could not confirm, has been determined.

For the iPod Nano (G3) and iPod Classic (G6) we are able to unlock the video output. This means that we now have video support for these two new models ...

However, the success we have in unlocking the video out does not apply to the Touch or iPhone ... Unfortunately we see no opportunity to do this with the current hardware of the iMIV.

Please note that though we are able to provide video support for the mentioned iPods, new firmware releases by Apple may well change that.

Modified by iMIV Support at 1:27 PM 11-1-2007

using the same iMIV firmware? if not, where do we get the update? (checked in imiv.ca, downloads section and G6 was not available)

very excited to hear this, thanks guys

Modified by FEO at 10:23 AM 11-1-2007

Modified by FEO at 10:24 AM 11-1-2007

Re: (FEO)

Quote, originally posted by FEO »
      using the same iMIV firmware? if not, where do we get the update? (checked in imiv.ca, downloads section and G6 was not available)

very excited to hear this, thanks guys

Modified by FEO at 10:23 AM 11-1-2007

Modified by FEO at 10:24 AM 11-1-2007

A new firmware (1.04) will be released within the next few weeks. Please watch this forum.

Can you let us know what the firmware versions are on the ipods you tested?

FuzzyCat

Hi,
      i just installed the iMIV in my car, easy and painless. About the video dupport for Ipod touch, what am I missing? As I understand you can buy a video out cable for Ipod touch, and view stuff on your home TV set. What makes it so much harder through the iMIV?

I don't have such a cable, but with this it should be possible to just connect to aux and video input? Not a good solutiun since the extra controls are missing. But will it in theory work?

Re: (larsena)

It works.

However, you would need to reconnect your iPod to the iMIV iPod connector to be able to control your iPod from the headunit and see iPod text.

However, the success we have in unlocking the video out does not apply to the Touch or iPhone ... Unfortunately we see no opportunity to do this with the current hardware of the iMIV.

Could you please elaborate on this? ( some stuff may be proprietary, I can certainly see that)

I gave away my ipod, and have the itch now for one of the new iphones (which are probably not going to work with the imiv, at least initially)...has any hope of video from iphone been realized in these months?

TIA

Any issues with the new iPhone 3G. All I am looking for is to be able to listen to the music and use the steering wheel controls, no video.

Re: (mrg_Ed)

So is it reasonable to guess that the new 7G iPod classic, 4G nano, and 2G iPod touch will not be able to charge with the IMIV until a new hardware revision is out, similar to the situation with the iPhone 3G? Can charging be done over the USB pins instead of the FireWire pins with a cable swap? Will someone build a converter to take power from devices built to use the FireWire pins (up to 18V) and send it down the USB pins (up to 5V)?
      Rick
      2004 S60R GT - Flash Green, 18" Pegs, Climate, Premium, Touring, Navigation

Re: (rqc)

This is the first iPod charging converter I've seen. It's not ready yet, but this is a start.

iPod 3G Charge Converter
      http://cablejive.com/iphone_3g....html

Rick

the classic might still work, the connector looks the same as the 6G
      iPD tune / Bilstein HD /25mm sways / Heico dual exhaust / OE sport body kit / HID Projectors / VST strut brace / EU power folding mirror kit / iMIV / Volvotech CFE / etc.

Re: (ss60)

It appears there are several confirmations now that the 7G iPod classic DOES support charging over FireWire, so get it while it lasts...

You can't tell the difference by looking at the connector. The changes are internal, but the 7G iPod classic does retain the wiring and circuitry to receive power over the FireWire pins.

Rick

7G Classic works fine, charging too.

But video doesn't work. 7G doesn't acknowledge the iMIV as a video accessory.
      So I'm hoping for a firmware fix. Hope it can be done.

If not, there's always a possibility of cannibalizing the authentication chip from one of those Chinese iPOD video cables.

Re: (JS60R)

Anyone know about Nano 4G?
      2005 S60R GT - Rica Stage II, Phuz DP, CAI, M1 0w-40, VPE Intercooler w/ IMEC GROM Bluetooth
      1992 960 - 225k, old and green - Sold 07/14/12

Quote Originally Posted by aldebaran View Post
      the curves are really beautiful, I couldn't stop touching it.

Re: (BeerEngineer)

Quote, originally posted by BeerEngineer »
      Anyone know about Nano 4G?

It should play music but it won't charge.

Rick

What about Nano 3G ? Does it charge and everything else?

(still haven't bought any...)

Re: (sebaveh)

It should charge the nano 3G (aka fat nano).
      Rick

docking station

Alright, so it seems my new classic won't output video to the IMIV (audio works fine) because of this authentication chip crap Apple now requires. Oddly though, my 3G Nano works fine but isn't supposed to. So I'm thinking about spending $50 on a docking station that has the authentication chip built in and connecting that to the imiv ipod cable. Anybody think that won't work before I waste my money? Or know of a crack that sensolutions has developed/is developing?

thanks

'04 S60 R
      Grey with Blue Seats. Volvo calls that Titanium with Nordkap. Whatever.
      MODS: RKelly rip-off dual CAI's, resonator delete (learned the hard way), stage 2 wastegate screw turnage, IMIV
      FUTURE MODS: Car wash, antenna ball

Re: docking station (flanimal)

iPod classic (G6) works fine with my iMIV. No authentication chip is required; only the iphone/itouch need that.

Is your classic G6 or the G7?

iPD tune / Bilstein HD /25mm sways / Heico dual exhaust / OE sport body kit / HID Projectors / VST strut brace / EU power folding mirror kit / iMIV / Volvotech CFE / etc.

Re: docking station (ss60)

This is the only place where I've been able to read about a G7 even existing. Everywhere else they still call it a G6. But I bought it brand new a couple weeks ago. It's a 120 gig model that replaced the others. So if there is a G7, this must be it. Like I said, my G3 Nano works just great through tv1, but as it only has 4 gig, it's not very useful for video. I'm into the whole classic/imiv project nearly $550 now, so I'm not too concerned about another $50 for the cable, just bummed that I will lose the steering wheel controls
      '04 S60 R
      MODS: RKelly rip-off dual CAI's, resonator delete (learned the hard way), stage 2 wastegate screw turnage, IMIV

The firmware that works for me is the one which supports iPod classic, dvd, and rev cam. My signal is coming though on TV1.

Just bought the apple video cable ($52 at Bestbuy) and now video IS working through the Aux input tv2. Switching back to the melbus ipod cable and to tv1 still yields the "TV Out Enabled, Please connect Video Accessory." I've tried several different versions of iMIV firmwares, but all they do is change the channels (MD, SAT, CDCGR, etc).

So no problem really. I could never control the videos through the HU anyways, so I'm not losing anything by having to switch to the other cable for video. I have 9000 songs, so I switch to the melbus to regain control of them through the steering wheel. Just a little inconvenient is all.

Now if I could just get the VWIM firmware to work. I've downloaded it 3 times and tried installing it dozens both the normal way and the emergency way. I know I'm doing it correctly because I've installed several different versions of the regular firmware the same way.

Note, that I've read that you can downgrade the IPODS firmware to bypass the authentication chip requirement. There are instructions on the internet, but I didn't want to risk messing up my new ipod and voiding the warranty. People do this because they are having the same problem getting the new classics to work with the portable DVD players that have built in docks.

'04 S60 R

Quote, originally posted by flanimal »
      Just bought the apple video cable ($52 at Bestbuy) and now video IS working through the Aux input tv2. Switching back to the melbus ipod cable and to tv1 still yields the "TV Out Enabled, Please connect Video Accessory." I've tried several different versions of iMIV firmwares, but all they do is change the channels (MD, SAT, CDCGR, etc).

So no problem really. I could never control the videos through the HU anyways, so I'm not losing anything by having to switch to the other cable for video. I have 9000 songs, so I switch to the melbus to regain control of them through the steering wheel. Just a little inconvenient is all.

Now if I could just get the VWIM firmware to work. I've downloaded it 3 times and tried installing it dozens both the normal way and the emergency way. I know I'm doing it correctly because I've installed several different versions of the regular firmware the same way.

Note, that I've read that you can downgrade the IPODS firmware to bypass the authentication chip requirement. There are instructions on the internet, but I didn't want to risk messing up my new ipod and voiding the warranty. People do this because they are having the same problem getting the new classics to work with the portable DVD players that have built in docks.

Which cable did you buy? Link please!

2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black [HIS] - Platinum/Tech/Climate/19" IxionII, Polestar Winglets, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Sway Bar, 15mm Spacers and KN Filter.
      2019 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Crystal White/Charcoal [HERS] - Nappa Leather w/Massage/Advanced/Heated Steering & Rear Seats/Sport Steering Wheel & Charcoal Headliner/20" Wheels
      ​Past: 1994 940Turbo/2004 S40LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda 3/2012 S60RD/2013 S60T5AWD/2016 XC60T6AWD

Re: docking station (PureDrive07)

http://store.apple.com/us/prod...DQzMA

It's not quite long enough to reach the trunk (if that's where your iMIV is). So I hooked it to a standard selector box from radio shack (in my center console) so I can add other RCA input devices in the future and a long standard RCA cable to route to the iMIV.

'04 S60 R

New question, is there a remote for the IMIV or will the stock volvo navigation remote control the IMIV?

Global Moderator

Re: docking station (Toddcoxc90)

Quote, originally posted by Toddcoxc90 »
      New question, is there a remote for the IMIV or will the stock volvo navigation remote control the IMIV?

The iMIV is just an interface. It is not a unit. Therefore there is nothing to control.

The HU controls will flip tracks on the iPod.

The Nav remote only controls nav.

You will not see any of the graphical information from an iPod on the Nav screen, unless you are playing video. Then you must use the iPod to control.

I like the media functions, but is there any way to get phone features integrated? Speakerphone through the car speakers and a mic would be great.

I recently bought an iPhone 3GS and think I might want to use it for music in my car instead of my ancient 1st gen 1pod nano. I want to mount it in a proclip so I can still access it while driving (when safe of course). My question is how the iphone behaves when using simple vs advanced mode. Can I still take calls in either of these modes? I typically have my bluetooth headset connected so I need to be able to take or initiate a call. So, how does the iphone behave when using the imiv?
      2008 Volvo C70 Red | 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 Hemi Black
      2011 Volvo XC90 R-Design Red | 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan GT Black wheelchair modified

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast