Does it matter if it's true....nah
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does it matter if it's true....nah

Back in September of 2005, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren, a
      social studies school teacher at Robinson High School in Little Rock, did
      something not to be forgotten. On the first day of school, with permission
      of the school superintendent, the principal and the building supervisor, she
      took all of the desks out of the classroom.

The kids came into first period, they walked in, there were no desks. They
      obviously looked around and said, "Ms. Cothren, where's our desk?" And she
      said, "You can't have a desk until you tell me how you earn them."

They thought, "Well, maybe it's our grades."

"No," she said.

"Maybe it's our behavior."

And she told them, "No, it's not even your behavior."

And so they came and went in the first period, still no desks in the
      classroom. Second period, same thing. Third period. By early afternoon
      television news crews had gathered in Ms. Cothren's class to find out about
      this crazy teacher who had taken all the desks out of the
      classroom. The last period of the day, Martha Cothren gathered her class.
      They were at this time sitting on the floor around the sides of
      the room. And she says, "Throughout the day no one has really understood how
      you earn the desks that sit in this classroom ordinarily." She said, "Now
      I'm going to tell you."

Martha Cothren went over to the door of her classroom and opened it, and as
      she did 27 U.S. veterans, wearing their uniforms, walked into that
      classroom, each one carrying a school desk. And they placed those school
      desks in rows, and then they stood along the wall. And by the time they had
      finished placing those desks, those kids for the first time I think perhaps
      in their lives understood how they earned those desks.

Martha said, "You don't have to earn those desks. These guys did it for you.
      They put them out there for you, but it's up to you to sit here
      responsibly to learn, to be good students and good citizens, because they
      paid a price for you to have that desk, and don't ever forget it."

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Does it matter if it's true....nah (2k2S80t6)

According to Snopes.com, it is true. Amazing, I would have bet it was bogus.

Inspiring story, and well within the mandate of her Military History class. I wonder if she followed-up with discussions of how countries without a warring military finance their education systems?
      2019 S60 T6AWD Inscription / Pine Gray / Maroon Brown /Linear Lime

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: Does it matter if it's true....nah (ljjones)

Who said anything about financial aspects of earning?

Quote, originally posted by 2k2S80t6 »
      Who said anything about financial aspects of earning?

Well, she said that veterans earned children's desks by working for the military. Maybe there's another way?

Back in September of 2005, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren, a
      social studies school teacher at Robinson High School in Little Rock, did
      something not to be forgotten. On the first day of school, with permission
      of the school superintendent, the principal and the building supervisor, she
      took all of the desks out of the classroom.

The kids came into first period, they walked in, there were no desks. They
      obviously looked around and said, "Ms. Cothren, where's our desk?" And she
      said, "You can't have a desk until you tell me how you earn them."

They thought, "Well, maybe it's our grades."

"No," she said.

"Maybe it's our behavior."

And she told them, "No, it's not even your behavior."

And so they came and went in the first period, still no desks in the
      classroom. Second period, same thing. Third period. By early afternoon
      television news crews had gathered in Ms. Cothren's class to find out about
      this crazy teacher who had taken all the desks out of the
      classroom. The last period of the day, Martha Cothren gathered her class.
      They were at this time sitting on the floor around the sides of
      the room. And she says, "Throughout the day no one has really understood how
      you earn the desks that sit in this classroom ordinarily." She said, "Now
      I'm going to tell you."

Martha Cothren went over to the door of her classroom and opened it, and as
      she did 27 U.S. veterans, wearing their uniforms, walked into that
      classroom, each one carrying a school desk. And they placed those school
      desks in rows, and then they stood along the wall. And by the time they had
      finished placing those desks, those kids for the first time I think perhaps
      in their lives understood how they earned those desks.

Martha said, "You don't have to earn those desks. These guys did it for you.
      They put them out there for you, but it's up to you to sit here
      responsibly to learn, to be good students and good citizens, because they
      paid a price for you to have that desk, and don't ever forget it."

I'm quite sure Hannity and Rush would call me un-American... but I just find that so completely over the top that it embarasses me. What a lot of nonsense.

Flame-proof suit on: check
      Phone on mute: check
      Faith in a reasonable response: wavering

UKMatt

Quote, originally posted by ljjones »

Well, she said that veterans earned children's desks by working for the military. Maybe there's another way?

She didn't say working or military. She said they were Veteran's and earned them for them.

They paid a price that is not monetarily defined.

Seems kind of sophomoric to me. Like those kids are going to be: "Wow, I bet we owe them for our Ipods and MTV too." - As they scramble to kiss their jackboots.

As UKMatt observed, this was definitely an over-the-top stunt. But high-school students are remarkably hard-headed, self-absorbed and resistant to learning anything as dry (to them) as Social Studies. They have a hard time seeing how something so academic can possibly relate to them personally.

Public school curricula is sadly lacking in anything that gives a dimension to the personal sacrifice made by the participants of the conflicts depicted in the text books. Perhaps this little drama will drive home the point to her students.

Like the bumper sticker says...

They fought so you don't have to

or

Enjoy your freedom, thank a Veteran

Why is it so over the top to say essentially the same thing but do so in a manner that has a greater impact? Not a rhetorical question. I seriously am curious why it is so over the top in your eyes.

I saw a "Enjoy your freedom, thank a Veteran" bumper sticker yesterday and got to thinking... does this hold true to any Veteran besides a WWII vet?

There has been no true threat to the American Way of Life since then - though current Vets (and vietnam vets) have done great survice to our country they have done so for policy vice true protection of our way of life, our homes, and our constitution. It is tough to make this statement without belittling(sp?) our troops (which is FAR from my objective) but rather should be reflective of the decision making of our politicians.

Gone and Missed: 2002 S60 T5 Manual, 1993 240 Classic
      Gone and Not Missed: 2001 S60 2.4t Auto

www.datforumdoe.com

...I seriously am curious why it is so over the top in your eyes.

I would be insulted to know my instructor thought she had to resort to such tactics to get my attention. But maybe that's just me...

Why is it so over the top to say essentially the same thing but do so in a manner that has a greater impact? Not a rhetorical question. I seriously am curious why it is so over the top in your eyes.

I think for me it is partially a cultural thing. I have never been able to appreciate the tendency for some Americans to take the chest thumping route when they want to exhibit their patriotism. It's just more in your face than I am used to. Many Americans take their pride in their veterans to levels beyond where I am comfortable.

I know this will make me very unpopular but joining the military is a choice and those who make that choice deserve credit for choosing a career that puts them in harms way. But I don't think they deserve some of the adulation you see in examples like this one.

Suggesting that vets are responsible for the education of these children doesn't seem to hold any water for me. How are they responsible? When was the last time the US fought a war where the American way of life was literally under threat from a foreign power?

Have pride in veterans but also have pride in educators, in those who pay their taxes to fund the education, in those who vote for politicians that are interested in public education remaining viable, in those who encourage their kids to learn how to learn rather than how to worship. And so on.

UKMatt

Re: (Bender)

Quote, originally posted by Bender »
      does this hold true to any Veteran besides a WWII vet?

There has been no true threat to the American Way of Life since then

Bender, I seriously believe you're a good man, but I'll be damned if that statement doesn't make you sound like a complete idiot...

If this wasn't a threat to the American way of life, then what was it? Over 3000 Americans had their way of life forever changed...

Re: Does it matter if it's true....nah (ukmatt)

I'm just gonna throw this one in there for the sake of discussion.. I'm not trying to undermine any current/former troops in the US or Canada...

But they had desks and schools (and I believe free universities), and libraries in Iraq, under Saddam's rule, before they were "freed". From what little I've read, now I think the education system there is quite a bit worse off.

Maybe my education is poor, but I am genuinely interested to find out how any veteran having fought overseas, has given us freedom.

Even in WWII... again maybe i'm just ignorant on this topic (and correct me if I am), but wasn't the conflict limited to Europe? Now I understand that if Hitler had been successful in capturing more and more european countries, in theory his nation could grow to threaten the US and Canada, but to say that we have freedom here because of the wars that have been fought in the past... I'm not sure if I can believe that wholly. We had freedom here before and during the wars.

Besides that, which war vets fought for the rights and freedoms of women, and blacks, and religious groups here on home soil? I don't recall their being a war vet that I can thank for being able to go to church with my girlfriend's family or going to mosque with my parents....

I have respect for those who fought to protect our country (i am referring to Canada here). And I have respect for many soldiers, alive or not, who have fought for various causes and flown my country's flag. I have friends who have fought in Afghanistan, young guys, because they believe in the cause. I, personally, do not. If we weren't in Afghanistan, none of my friends would have died for basically nothing.

Blah blah blah, rant rant rant...

Re: (KMK454)

Quote, originally posted by KMK454 »

If this wasn't a threat to the American way of life, then what was it? Over 3000 Americans had their way of life forever changed...

I am sure Bender can answer for himself but as I said something similar I'll add my 2 cents...

The events of 9/11 were absolutely terrible but they were not a direct threat to the American way of life as I see it. The 'way of life' is not a synonym for 'life' - it is the set of American ideals, the American ethos, culture and community. That was not directly threatened by 9/11 (if you really think it was, then the terrorists inflicted a much larger blow than I gave them credit for).

UKMatt

Bender, I seriously believe you're a good man, but I'll be damned if that statement doesn't make you sound like a complete idiot...

Another dicussion point...

Maybe if the US had a better foreign policy.......

There is always a reason behind everything. People say "those damned terrorists hate the americans and their way of life"... When in reality, I'm willing to bet the terrorists are saying "Our life sucks as a result of what the US did to us..."

I'm not saying it's right. Nor do I advocate any type of fighting or terrorism. But I can guarantee that if the US was more like Australia or Canada, and didn't bust so many heads to get what IT wanted (which was not freedom by the way), the world would have never suffered the events of 9/11

How did 9/11 threaten our way of life in a large manner? It didnt change a thing. If we are going simply by deaths then Drunk Driving threatens the way of American life more and we should have soldiers manning DUI checkpoints. Obviously I am being somewhat facious and I do truly believe in going after the terrorists where they live, but we havent done that (because it would piss of our allies - The Saudis). It angers me that Soldiers (and my friends) our losing their lives in vain for what is policy versus true protection of our Constitution.

Terrorists have not changed our lives at all...

www.datforumdoe.com

Re: (ukmatt)

Quote, originally posted by ukmatt »

I am sure Bender can answer for himself but as I said something similar I'll add my 2 cents...

The events of 9/11 were absolutely terrible but they were not a direct threat to the American way of life as I see it. The 'way of life' is not a synonym for 'life' - it is the set of American ideals, the American ethos, culture and community. That was not directly threatened by 9/11 (if you really think it was, then the terrorists inflicted a much larger blow than I gave them credit for).

UKMatt

You nailed it for me my friend.

What I say I certainly do not say intending any disrespect to our troops. Instead I respect them SO MUCH that it pains me to see them being put in harms way over policy issues.

www.datforumdoe.com

How did 9/11 threaten our way of life in a large manner? It didnt change a thing.

It wasn't just deaths (which some of you are shrugging off rather non-chalantly) but it was our ability to go about our daily lives in a secure manner without the threat of an outside actor attempting to murder thousands of us. Yes, nothing has happened since and I can live my life the same exact way as before, but if Al Qaeda could they would have a briefcase nuke stateside... if anything it was a wake-up call for us regarding foreign policy and how we conduct ourselves and how we align our power.

It wasn't just deaths (which some of you are shrugging off rather non-chalantly) but it was our ability to go about our daily lives in a secure manner without the threat of an outside actor attempting to murder thousands of us. Yes, nothing has happened since and I can live my life the same exact way as before, but if Al Qaeda could they would have a briefcase nuke stateside... if anything it was a wake-up call for us regarding foreign policy and how we conduct ourselves and how we align our power.

All I can say is if you were an Arab anywhere in the world, you'd feel the same way, but from the opposite perspective. And the Iranians and Koreans, the Afghans, and before them, the Vietnamese, and the Japanese... etc. Even the Canadians at one point, but I'm proud to say we won that war.

What did those people ever do to the US? F*ck all. What did the US do to them? Bully them and take away their sense of security in their own homes. Go on youtube and listen to what the polite, relatively powerless president of Iran to the rude audience at Columbia university.

There are two sides to every story, and in the end, your feeling of insecurity and unease is only the fault of your own government. If Canada had terrible foreign policy, I'd be afraid to walk to work too! I'd move to australia!

Re: (YK-GTR)

Ok I get it you love Canada and it's perfect.

And in response to the other points buried beneath that, I don't walk around in fear. I'm just aware that there are small groups of terrorists out there who intend to destroy us. Our war is not on Arabs, it is on terrorists. Al Qaeda does happen to be composed of some Arab people. There have been terrorists of all walks of life and nationality through history.

Do not confuse the war on terror with the war in Iraq. I'm not quite sure what, if any overlap there is between the two. I'm talking about going to Afghanistan and taking out Al Qaeda, or whatever other country harbors terrorists, not about paving the Middle East with fast food restaurants (which isn't our intention anyway).

Ok I get it you love Canada and it's perfect.

And in response to the other points buried beneath that, I don't walk around in fear. I'm just aware that there are small groups of terrorists out there who intend to destroy us. Our war is not on Arabs, it is on terrorists. Al Qaeda does happen to be composed of some Arab people. There have been terrorists of all walks of life and nationality through history.

Do not confuse the war on terror with the war in Iraq. I'm not quite sure what, if any overlap there is between the two. I'm talking about going to Afghanistan and taking out Al Qaeda, or whatever other country harbors terrorists, not about paving the Middle East with fast food restaurants (which isn't our intention anyway).

Canada is far from perfect. But as a matter of foreign policy, they're just not retarded. Probably because we don't have the same military capacity as the US, but nonetheless.

If you'd read my earlier posts, i have had friends who've died in the "war on Al Qaeda" in afghanistan. I'm only 21 years old, and these guys were my friends in high school. I don't think that Canada should be down there in the first place but here we are. There are terrorists in every country, and it doesn't mean that the country is supporting them, it just means that they slipped through the cracks. Should America carpet-bomb its own cities because there have been terrorists from within? Doubtful. So why is it okay to do that anywhere else? They talk about "seeking out" people who they will never find and may not exist, and "terrorists" whose guilt and degree of involvement cannot be proven or disproven. Its a waste of time. I agree that any act of terrorism is wrong, no matter who commits it, but responding with terrorism is wrong too.

If you want to talk about a country harboring "terrorists" look at your own. A country who terrorizes other nations. Long before the word "terrorist" meant "extremist foreigners". Before the 9/11 attacks, and after (albeit more "justifiedly" after), the US has been doing the same poop over and over again in different countries. For one reason or another and under the same false pretenses. Why couldn't your country use its power for the good of everyone instead of the good of just some?

You might not get exactly what i'm talking about and that's cool. But if you do, maybe you'll see things more objectively. By the way, just because I love Canada doesn't mean I hate the US. I just don't agree with the way things are conducted there. I have many times considered moving south, back "home" to Santa Barbara, California, but unless things change politically, I will either just stick it out up here, or move to Australia.

To sum up my points above (yes they are scattered), terrorism begets terrorism. The general theory (although it hasnt been proven or disproven, but is logical) is that:

at some point or another (likely more than one instance, as I have learned more in history class than I can remember now), The US wronged a people somewhere, in pursuing its own interests (as it continues to do). A group of people got pissed off here and there and they formed some sort of coalition or group, and planned terrorism of their own to respond to the terrorism committed upon them. The US responds with more terrorism, and the violence cycle is unstoppable.

I am so tired of writing but there are so many more aspects to this.

The unfortunate bottom line is that as long as the US keeps striking fear in the heart of innocent people, and threatening their freedoms and ways of life, I think the innocent people in the United States will be victims just as equally.

Modified by YK-GTR at 5:19 PM 10-8-2007

Global Moderator

Quote, originally posted by ljjones »

I would be insulted to know my instructor thought she had to resort to such tactics to get my attention. But maybe that's just me...

You obviously don't know many teachers. The stories I hear these days....

Quote, originally posted by YK-GTR »
      ...Go on youtube and listen to what the polite, relatively powerless president of Iran to the rude audience at Columbia university. \

Holy sh!t. You really don't have a clue if you fell for that propaganda.

Re: (2k2S80t6)

Holy sh!t. You really don't have a clue if you fell for that propaganda.

Propaganda? And I'm the one who doesn't have a clue? Don't make this personal, because you have no f*cking idea. Just because I'm young doesn't mean i haven't seen anything first hand. Besides, its the ayatollahs who make the decisions in Iran, not the president. He's elected by the people and represents them, very diplomatically i might add... He hurt his credibility by saying Iran doesn't have gay people though... that was kinda funny..

Modified by YK-GTR at 6:45 PM 10-8-2007

it's a pretty funny stunt

I'm fairly confident that there would still be desks inAmerican school EVEN IF WE LOST THE FREAKIN COLD WAR

There.

and I'm not even gonna put on a flame suit

2008 C30 MT; first gen XC90

well, if loss of life is how we measure this, then I'd say Philip Morris Company is a bigger threat to American life than Al Qaeda ever was

2008 C30 MT; first gen XC90

Re: Does it matter if it's true....nah (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »
      You obviously don't know many teachers. The stories I hear these days....

Ha! Only a sister, wife and sis-in-law that are now, or were at some point teachers. And they all say that if you take a patronizing attitude and treat your charges like children, that's exactly what you will get.

Timothy McVeigh?

Get my point? anyone can kill us at any time. Plenty of terrorists and threats right in your neighborhood.

www.datforumdoe.com

Timothy McVeigh?

Get my point? anyone can kill us at any time. Plenty of terrorists and threats right in your neighborhood.

Exactly. And we'd only have Timothy McVeigh types to worry about, if the rest of the world didn't see the west as a bully...

I've reread this a couple of times and I think we're pretty much in agreement actually... I agree that this SHOULD have been a wakeup call regarding foreign policy, but sadly, for most, it hasn't. Most people could care less whats going on outside of their country. They're all like "f!ck yaaa nuke those terrorist sum*******!"... and if someone said that the terrorists were in Mexico, they'd be like "f*ck the mexicans! as long as it don't affect meee! Yee-haw!"

Well, it does affect you.

Yes, we are such a bully that we are asking to attacks.

Re: (2k2S80t6)

Yes, we are such a bully that we are asking to attacks.

well we arnt the bully but we supply the bullies and keep them in power.

Everyone uses this picture as a joke - "haha look at Bush being teh ghey" - but in reality it encompases a HUGE reason why there is terrorism against the United States. We support a BRUTAL regime in Saudi Arabia and don't expect to get hit back?

www.datforumdoe.com

It wasn't just deaths (which some of you are shrugging off rather non-chalantly) but it was our ability to go about our daily lives in a secure manner without the threat of an outside actor attempting to murder thousands of us.

The reality is that generally speaking we can go about our lives in as secure a manner as we did before. Not a whole lot has changed. There are not that many terror groups with the sophistication to attack the US in a way that will kill thousands and that can operate with the freedom they need to do so. Those (not you of course) who live in a world of panic and paranoia about where the next attack is coming from are more likely to die from the stress of it than the attack they are worried about.

We're all more likely to die from a car accident, cancer, heart failure, falling down the stairs, earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, bad beef from underregulated producers, lead poisoning from foreign goods etc etc etc (ok the last two maybe not so much )... I think people worry too much about terrorist attacks at home (admittedly they are encouraged to do so by authorities that are even more paranoid - red terror alert anyone?)

Yes, nothing has happened since and I can live my life the same exact way as before, but if Al Qaeda could they would have a briefcase nuke stateside... if anything it was a wake-up call for us regarding foreign policy and how we conduct ourselves and how we align our power.

I agree it was a wake up call but I disagree that it represents a threat against the American way of life - and those in power who are making it out to be a threat of that magnitude are using it to manipulate the people through fear in my opinion.

UKMatt

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast