How do I turn on headlight wipers?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Newb questions: How do I turn on headlight wipers? rear fog lights?

Sorry to sound foolish; a new Volvo owner here, well, rather a 01 V70XC that appears to have been well loved and joined our fam' recently as our second vehicle.

Anyway, it has the cold weather pkg. And for the life of me I can't figure how to turn on the headlight wipers. I would have thought they'd just go on if I turned on the windshield wipers, but they are not turning on when I do that. Can't find any instructions in my owner's manual. This isn't a deal killer they are "not working" right now, but would be good to figure out how to use them, or get them fixed some time later if, indeed, they are not working.

Also, when I turn on the rear fog lamps the console button shows amber instead of green like the fronts; does that mean it is not functioning? It seems to me like one of the lamps is burned out, so the amber light may be a warning that I need to fix that?

Thanks for the help

Modified by Bryan! at 8:11 PM 3-17-2008

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

pull the winshield wiper stalk and turn on the sprayers that should make them work

no thats correct for the rear fog lamp when you hit the button the amber light turn s on as a little headligth

I know different year but same principal

/2006 S60 T5 /K24/R Calipers/17" pegs/OBX/Koni/Eibach/JVC/SNABB/IPDSway,
      /2004 V70 R/M66 /05+ Tails/ 05+ Console/Evolve Intake/IPD Sways/OZ/Kenwood/PHUZZ
      /2005 V70XC -Stock
      /2004 V70XC - Project Truk
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance. - me
      Quote Originally Posted by Chicago_Wagon View Post
      (Sh!t, did I just agree with Chilled Man?) .

Re: Newb questions: How do I turn on headlight wipers? rear fog lights? (Bryan!)

Yeah, for headlight wipers just use the windshield washers, and they should activate. Many cars have them intertwined like this.

Rear fogs are only on the driver's side in most markets. If you have one in the back, you're good. Not sure about the light colours on the buttons though....don't use the rear fogs unless you have reason to because they can really annoy drivers behind you. And nothing says ignorance better than driving around with the rear fog light, on a clear night.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

lol I cut the wire to mine since I use it to turn on my amps in the rear.
      /2006 S60 T5 /K24/R Calipers/17" pegs/OBX/Koni/Eibach/JVC/SNABB/IPDSway,
      /2004 V70 R/M66 /05+ Tails/ 05+ Console/Evolve Intake/IPD Sways/OZ/Kenwood/PHUZZ
      /2005 V70XC -Stock
      /2004 V70XC - Project Truk
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance. - me
      Quote Originally Posted by Chicago_Wagon View Post
      (Sh!t, did I just agree with Chilled Man?) .

on my '01, you have to have the headlamps turned on and then use the windscreen wipers; then the headlamps wipers will go on too.

it is fun seeing them go

They may have a different coloured light for the rear fog lamp to easily differentiate it from the front; I'd rather like that on mine, as I tend to forget which is which (I almost never use mine)

They use the green to indicate the front fog lights and the amber to indicate the rear fog light. That is normal. No problem.

Re: Newb questions: How do I turn on headlight wipers? rear fog lights? (Bryan!)

A Mechanic may have disconnected the electric wiring to the wipers. Some mechanics will disconnet the electric wiring to the headlights to prevent the arm from scratching the headlight cover.

Not sure, but I thought the headlight wipers will not go on if high beams on, due to heat??

I might be mistaken..

G. Hamilton
      North of Boston
      '11 XC70 T6, '07 Outback, '14 4Runner, '82 Porsche 911
      Former: 85, 87 240, 89 740, 95 850T, 2000 V70, 2005 XC
      '88 Alfa Spider, '92 Landcruiser, 00 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by mojo2317 View Post
      on my '01, you have to have the headlamps turned on and then use the windscreen wipers; then the headlamps wipers will go on too.

it is fun seeing them go

They may have a different coloured light for the rear fog lamp to easily differentiate it from the front; I'd rather like that on mine, as I tend to forget which is which (I almost never use mine)

No no no no ****ing no. HEADLIGHTS, WINDSHIELD, COLORED.

G. Hamilton - Nice stable and nice history of rides.

I will always own a Volvo from (2014...) now on. 01 V70XC that came a Doctor in Mass. LUV it!
      But also want a 05 - 09 Outback as daily driver...

11 XC70 T6, '07 Outback, '14 4Runner, '82 Porsche 911
      Former: 85, 87 240, 89 740, 95 850T, 2000 V70, 2005 XC
      '88 Alfa Spider, '92 Landcruiser, 00 Landcruiser

Thanks for the help on the headlamp wipers!

Barry G in Indiana

Headlight wipers

I've owned a 1996 Volvo 960 for 20 + years & i've NEVER seen the headlight wipers working. I just assumed they function when one pulls the washer 'stalk' but I don't really know. Also, there is nothing in the owner's handbook about them or their operation which surprised me. Furthermore, I've never bothered to check, because it wasn't a priority for me however I fear I need to learn something about them because, one of them recently rotated so that the wiper pointed 'downward' but, as you all know, the bumper is there which means the wiper blade was pointing forward & in danger of someone bending or breaking it, so I removed it from the shaft.
      I'm not sure what caused it to rotate in the first place, & I'm wondering what kind of a problem I have to deal with. I definitely want it repaired because I want EVERYTHING to function properly on my car. It will probably cost me to get it fixed as I always have my car repaired by Volvo mechanics at a repair shop that has specialized in Volvos for many years because they really "know" the older models. I put a lot of trust in them, & they always look after me very well but I still like to have some idea of what the repair might entail. Apart from that, I'm in my late 80's & unable to perform repair work myself.
      If anyone has any comment about this I would be happy to hear from you.

One way to see if the headlight washers are working is to park in front of a window where you can see your reflection or even a wall, and watch for them to work. On a wall, you will see the shadow of the blades.

In the case of the broken one, have someone help you by watching as you pull the stalk. If you're worried about it damaging the bumper, have the mechanic take the arm of and watch what the shaft does. The arm might just be loose, but the motors and gears are notorious for stripping out if they get stuck with ice. On the 960, you have to remove the bumper to get the headlight out, and the wiper motor is screwed to the bottom of the headlight assembly.

On the fog light icon thing, not only is the rear orange, the little beams point the opposite direction. The headlights, front fogs, and high beams all point to the left, and the rear fog points to the right. The park light position has both. It's the same on the switches and the dash lights.
      Last edited by LloydDobler; 02-16-2020 at 09:20 AM.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70 2.5T - Ice White - Oak Arena, (almost) bone stock daily driver.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car. No mods unless she does 'em herself.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements