When you were looking for your "R" what other cars were you looking at at the time?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

When you were looking for your "R" what other cars were you looking at at the time?

I ask this because I remember, for no reason, that back when my father bought his 2005 Acura TL, I had looked at an S60R as well. I still have the literature from 2004, and remember now that the dealership didn't have one to drive or show, but they had a customer's car on the lift He ended up with the Acura, for the sake of reliability (and 3 transmissions later, he went back to Lexus with a GS300 AWD).

I was looking at waiting for an EvoX (too impatient), an STI (too "snoody" to buy one, and I need my comfort/class), Audi A4 (to plain/mainstream), and BMW didn't have their 335xi coupe in the horizon (I didn't think/know they'd make one). I had a deposit on a fully loaded S40 T5 AWD 6MT and drove my friend's "R" - and here I am.

So what were you about to walk away with...?

FOR SALE: 2006 XC70, White/(Atacama)
      Current: 2016 XC90 T6
      Former: 2007 S60R M66, 2001 V70 T5M, 1998 S70 T5-SE (heavily modded), 1998 Saffron V70R, 1995 855T,1995 854 Cream Yellow/Charcoal T5-R, 1989 780 Bertone

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: When you were looking for your "R" what other cars were you looking at at the time? (AthruC)

The new chevy malibu. What a reckless mistake that would have been. I also like any 330/5xi, but there's too many bimmers on the road as it is. I think the biggest difference is how much more I noticed car commercials since september, and how they eventually just became boring.

In the end, it was all about the interior for me.

2005 S60R GT - Rica Stage II, Phuz DP, CAI, M1 0w-40, VPE Intercooler w/ IMEC GROM Bluetooth
      1992 960 - 225k, old and green - Sold 07/14/12

Quote Originally Posted by aldebaran View Post
      the curves are really beautiful, I couldn't stop touching it.

I drove a CTS-V, and S4 and an A6 and also did a walkaround on a new G8. Loved the A6 and the S4, but glad I got the R. The V is one bad machine, but not my thing I guess. I'm not old enough to drive a Caddy.
      '07 Sonic Blue S60 R - SOLD
      '07 Passion Red XC90 Sport - SOLD
      '16 XC60 T6 AWD
      '12 Acura TSX Special Edition

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: When you were looking for your "R" what other cars were you looking at at the time? (AthruC)

I was either buying an 06 blk special edition T5 or the Sonic Blue R

IMO nothing else current compares under $80K

05 Legacy GT and 04 Acura TL (Legacy was ordered and due in in a week or two)
      2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow/Black Alcantara
      2004 S60R 6MT - Passion Red/Nordkap (sold)
      2009 RAV4 Sport V6 - Classic Silver/Charcoal

Global Moderator

Re: When you were looking for your "R" what other cars were you looking at at the time? (Elak R)

XC90 2.5T.

Passat Wagon.

Modified by Needsdecaf at 6:06 AM 4-1-2008

Re: When you were looking for your "R" what other cars were you looking at at the time? (Needsdecaf)

S40 2.4 Manual+Nav
      BMW 325xi
      Like you, still waiting for an Evo that doesn't look like _insert preferred Helmut quote here_

Re: When you were looking for your "R" what other cars were you looking at at the time? (FEO)

S40 T5 AWD 6 speed, but I couldn't find any with that combination AND the body kit which was a requirement (the regular S40 is too pedestrian and common without it IMHO). They were also pushing $35k with all that.

Before that I was looking at an Audi A6 2.7T Quattro, but they were too blah/old person-ish and they lacked a manual. Also looked at the A3 2.0T.

2004 S60R MT - Sapphicama, Pictures, 285HP/[email protected], IPD Track Spec Sways, Autotech Stage 1 Tune, R Kelly CAI, GROM USB/iPod Audio Interface, IPD Strut Bar Conversion, UR Front and Rear Lower Braces, IPD HD Coils, 18x8 Axis XMX wheels, Volvotech CFE extender, CNT Downpipe, EST Touring Exhaust
      2008 Land Rover LR3 HSE

Re: When you were looking for your "R" what other cars were you looking at at the time? (djkronik57)

Had a Saab 9-3 before the R. Was looking at a 9-3 Aero or 9-5 Aero as alternates. If the TurboX were available, I might have gone with that. Good thing it wasnt!!!
      2016 P* Rebel (Mine)
      2006 SR Sonicama (Traded in for P*)
      2005 SR TiGray (RIP 07/09)

2010 XC70 (Wifes)
      2004 VR TiGray (Traded In for XC)

Re: When you were looking for your "R" what other cars were you looking at at the time? (djkronik57)

2001-2003 BMW M5. i LOVE that car but in the end it came down to the fact that it was an older car (and most likely out of warranty) and cost more than most of the S60 R's i was looking at.

i'm pleased w/ my decision though.

2006 Volvo S60 R 6MT; Black Sapphire/ ATACAMA w/ a Personalized PA Plate

2017 BMW X5 ///M; Silverstone/ Mugello Red Leather/ Carbon Fiber Trim; 10/6/17 Performance Delivery

i was looking at GTIs, GLIs, A3s, A4s, TSXs, and was trying to convince my dad on Evos. I really only DREAMED of a R. My dad kept saying it was out of the price range, and i naturally assumed he wouldnt cave but he test drove one and bought it for my birthday because he like the seats!

Re: (2004volvos60R)

my list was as follows:

Volvo S60R
      Audi RS4 or S6
      BMW 335xi

-Steven

Quote, originally posted by djkronik57 »
      S40 T5 AWD 6 speed, but I couldn't find any with that combination AND the body kit which was a requirement (the regular S40 is too pedestrian and common without it IMHO). They were also pushing $35k with all that.

Before that I was looking at an Audi A6 2.7T Quattro, but they were too blah/old person-ish and they lacked a manual. Also looked at the A3 2.0T.

The S40's did get up there, but they had a nice incentive too They actually traded inventory for my car and I got to see what it would have been (beautiful black/black w/ the body kit, very sweet), but the interior/performance/comfort of the "R" was a no-brainer. I just wish I had more choices w/ color options at the time, or that I went with a black/atacama...

Also, those A6's were available with the same 6MT as the S4...

Former: 2007 S60R M66, 2001 V70 T5M, 1998 S70 T5-SE (heavily modded), 1998 Saffron V70R, 1995 855T,1995 854 Cream Yellow/Charcoal T5-R, 1989 780 Bertone

It was either the R or the first gen G35 sedan. E9x 3 series wasn't even out yet. Kind of a no brainer as well.

I actually bought an '06 S4 avant 6spd. Figured out it was wrecked the next morning and returned it by noon. Had the R maybe 2 months later. Nothing else was on the list, but if they had a 330xi wagon w/ sport that is probably what I would have gotten.
      '94 850 Turbo - sold -'07 V70R - sold - 2009 BMW 135i M sold
      FOR SALE 2015.5 V60 Polestar | Rebel Blue | #64
      2016 XC90 #492
      2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT

2005 S4 Avant (MT)

Still happy with the VR, but the Audi seems to be holding its value much better.

Going for the RS4 this summer - keeping the VR .

2005 V70R, Fully Loaded Stealth Wagon - SOLD on 19 Jan '13 (Went to a good 2nd owner)

I replaced an '06 Saab 9^3 Aero and a '94 Saab 9000 CSE (boosted to 275HP) with the S60R. What I really wanted was a replacement for the 9k but alas no one makes a sports oriented hatch back.

I looked at the Mazdaspeed 6 but as soon as I found that it did not come in HB version even though that is how it was initally developed, and that even in the Sedan style the rear seats did not fold down It left the list.

I thought about a Saab 9^5, but it is 10 year old tech, and the issues I had with the Aero said no way.

So really the R was the only serious contender.

I was replacing my 850R cause I wanted something non-fwd and manual.

I looked at:
      E46 M3
      B6/B7 S4's
      C32 AMG

The most solid feeling was the AMG. Deceptively quick, but flawed with an automatic. The other cars never felt like they were worth the premium over the R. Plus, Volvo for Life. Duh.

Re: (legbend)

1997 Porsche 911 - too small, old
      Considered an Audi - Wife hates them
      Wanted a Maserati Spyder - impractical (but I still want one) as a daily driver
      BMW 3 or 5 - but noticed too many teens driving them, and mothers, and fathers, and, and and...everybody...
      New Saab 9-3 (had one) - too slow, and I was used to it

Prior 2007 S60 R - Heavily modded
      Now 2008 Evo X EFI Logics Time Attack race car

My List

Initially drove the Grand Prix GXP with the LS3, actually pretty cool with the paddles and heads up display. FUN car to drive with power and a sweet growl. Phasing the model out to be replaced with the G8. Looked and felt great but taking forever to get them out,,,,gotta be some bugs. Oh yhea..... "It's a Pontiac"

Lexus IS250/350, Always nice, but the power just.....not happening. ISF was introduced and that bumbed my internal price range,,, but not my wifes. Her 06 TL,,,, I can here the whining from here, especially the huge step above in interior I've got in the the R with Gobi and aluminum/wood trim and those seats that seem to spoon you at times! She's now hooked on the C30 and wants to spend all my mods budget. I needs to find someone to sell iranian oil too,,,,

Saab 93 or 93 Aero, never was able to include the Turbo X in equation. Less rear passenger room than the R.

CTS, drove it and love it, but dealer would not sell it to me with my supplier discount , I had to order it. Kinda whar Volvo's telling me about a C30 type 2 for the misses. Wait 3 months,

The R is here to stay!! While i work 13 hours a day during Nuclear Plant refuel outages the 30 mins each way to the hotel is the happiest part of my day. And I have to admidit to all I fell into the 06R with 6000 miles on it by dumb luck!!

Better to be lucky than good!!
      Remember "When youre all we've got,,,, Youre the best"

Bob

2006 S60R GT Black Saphire/Gobi. 18" Ronal RT's, Bluepower front, Duraflex sides, rear sport kit. ipd Track Spec Sways, SS brake lines, brakeperformance.com D/S rotors, Bell FMIC, Evolve blue radiator hoses, Elovle AMS w/hood vent, Snabb Intake pipe, Viva HD CBV, Eurosport DP mated to Svenske custom 3" with Flowmaster muffler, Evolve/Autotech Stage 2, Defi Blue Boost and EGT gages. OEM Bluetooth, USA-spec ipod, Delphi XM-Xpress.

Re: My List (bobbrown13)

Same as Magoon, Suby Legacy GT wagon "GTX". Had also put a downpayment on a very slightly used 05 and then decided to just spend the extra and buy a brand new one. Luckily i decided to spend a extra $10K and get the R. Wouldn't have been happy driving something that sounds like a stuffed up lawnmower.

Modified by Ride R at 8:25 PM 3-31-2008
      EX: 05 V70R 6SPD black sapp/ Nordkap "The Black Wagon of Death".
      Current:
      2007 GT3RS
      Quote Originally Posted by AthruC View Post
      You look like ghetto crap!

Re: My List (Ride R)

Not a BMW, MBZ, Porsche, Lexis, or Audi. I just wanted a big wagon with an MT that was < or = $25,000. Almost went for a Mazda 5. It was the cheap interior of the 5--and not performance--that swayed me to the V70R. This is the first car I've "loved" since my 1970 240-Z.
      1998 V70 T5m @200k miles; 18t, turboback, Quaife LSD, Koni FSD/Eibach, IPD sways, DO88 I/C, SNAAB intake, ARD Blue, greens, etc., 50% E85
      1995 850 Turbo Sold at @168k miles.
      2004 V70R 6mt SOLD in 2008

my list was a bit low-brow compared to some of you:

V70 AWD
      VW Passat 4 motion

I was looking for an AWD wagon that was safe, and wide enough to fit 3 car seats across the back seat

only reason I ended up in the R was that I found that for practical purposes to get stability control on the V70 AWD it would have to be special ordered from factory--and if I did so I wouldn't know what the price would be because it would depend on the incentives operating in the month I took delivery, not the month I ordered it (really unfriendly, stupid policy IMO).

when I found out the R had a $6k incentive here locally, it was enough to get close to my price point

Re: When you were looking for your "R" what other cars were you looking at at the time? (kenschel)

2005 lexus is300 absolutely red

im currently deciding between a 2006 saab 92x aero(awd, 227 hp wrx motor) or a 2004 V70R 6spd.

the volvo seller wont respond to my question about the angle gear being fixed or not. I might have scurred him away

E class, BMW 5 Series or a VR
      Current: 2002 Mercedes CL600, 1999 Acura TL, 1996 Volvo 850R, 1996 Volvo 850R, Volvo V70R.
      Sold & Miss:1996 Nissan 240SX, 1996 Volvo 850R, 1997 Lexus SC300, 1997 Volvo 850R, 1998 Volvo V70XC, 1998 Volvo V70R, 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS, 2004 Volvo S60R, 1998 Volvo V70XC, 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS, 1964 Volvo 122s, 1998 Honda Prelude

Seriously considered the G35x and the Subaru Legacy GT. Luckily I found exactly the SR I was looking for at a great price. The drive from Pittsburgh back had me convinced I made the right decision. Could have done without the construction and resulting gravel strewn for most of the PA pike though.

Re: (fightinchunk)

I had an A4 and wanted something different so the short list became 9-3, S40, and S60R. The S4/M3 were obvious options, but the S60R was already the highest price on the list and higher than I expected to pay. The OSD offer/trip made it worth the extra dough and I've been VERY happy with my purchase for the most part. Love the R, miss the relationship I had with my Audi dealer...

-Aaron

Re: (AaronSoto)

I had 5 VWs- from an 88 Fox to a 00 Passat V6 MT wagon. I knew I wanted another manual wagon, but VW wasnt offering one. I considered Saab Aero, but no 4WD. So I Googled "Wagon, four wheel drive, manual", and the VR popped up. Truthfully, I didnt know anything about the car.

But I do now...

06 VR 6M, Sapphacama, 207miles, loaded and modded.
      "…it must be made to look the best and most evil in its evilness." - Helmut

Re: (Lightspeed)

I have a story like that....around the time I was looking for a car, I got a autox ride in a friend's STI.

After experiencing the AWD steering and corner exiting madness, I came home thinking to myself: "if this technology exists, I gotta have it"...I couldn't get past the wings in the Japanese offerings, and I remembered seeing an R in '04s Philly auto show....the rest is history

Re: (FEO)

Before we bought our 04 flash green R we were not looking at anything. My wife wanted a new car about 4 months prior and we had previously looked at a Saab 9-3 Aero and an S60 but ended up buying a hot tub instead. A few months later she tells me she found a car she wanted to look at. She printed it out in black and white so I didnt see the color. We go to the dealer and tell the guy we are there to look at the S60 R. The first thing the guy asks is if we saw the color?

Anyway we drove it my wife had to have it and I bought it. At the time I had no idea what an S60 R was.

The 07 that we just bought, that story is here

https://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=95137

Modified by petew at 10:58 PM 4-1-2008

Re: When you were looking for your "R" what other cars were you looking at at the time? (petew)

Quote, originally posted by petew »
      .... so I went to a dealership and saw this:

but the wife said "NO WAY __ IT LOOKS LIKE BABY POOP"

Is your wife somehow related to Helmut?

Re: When you were looking for your "R" what other cars were you looking at at the time? (PhilUp)

Quote, originally posted by PhilUp »
      It was either the R or the first gen G35 sedan. E9x 3 series wasn't even out yet. Kind of a no brainer as well.

What made you choose the R over the G35? - I was looking at the G35 its a real nice machine - although nothing can beat the R's comfort that was the closest I'd seen - the Bose ICE is some what superior to the R's too. Power and handling are up there, and the G35 doesn't have the same heat soak issues as the R which is a major factor here in sweaty Texas!

This was my first choice (G35) - I'd briefly considered an R but not very seriously and never researched/driven them - although I was impressed with my brothers C70. My brother persuaded me to test drive the R one rainy Saturday - the Volvo dealer also had a G35 too..

The R impressed me not so much with its speed/power but combining that into a luxury and very comfortable package; in the end Volvo center made me an offer I couldn't refuse (nice to go to a dealers on the last day of a slow month - $6500+ of the forecourt clearance sticker price! ) now the money saved is going into mods!!!!

Modified by earthwindandfire22 at 8:57 AM 4-1-2008

2003 SVT Cobra - with mods. 450+hp/tq at the wheels.
      2002 XC70 2.4T - "Orca"
      White/Sand(Beige)

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast