Does it matter which brand of gas to get?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Does it matter which brand of gas to get?

Since the XC90 uses premium gas, does it matter if you get it at the cheaper stations like USA Gas, Beacon, etc. or do you have to use the brand names like BP, Exxon, etc?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Does it matter which brand of gas to get? (imxc90)

Quote, originally posted by imxc90 »
      Since the XC90 uses premium gas, does it matter if you get it at the cheaper stations like USA Gas, Beacon, etc. or do you have to use the brand names like BP, Exxon, etc?

Brands that ar enot from national companies do have a lower quality gas. Octane rating could be the same but they only use enough detergents to just get by the Federal and State laws. I, personally, stay away from these. Find the lowest price on a national brand.

Yannis

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

imxc90,

Ask the ‘cheap’ gas station manager where exactly he’s getting the gas from. It’s common practice at least here in CA that the gas comes from the nearest refinery no matter which brand. To transport the fuel over long distances costs money. So you might be buying BP gas at a Shell gas station for example. I buy mine at Costco (the cheapest of them all) where the gas comes from the nearby Chevron refinery.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: Does it matter which brand of gas to get? (AudiPutz)

Quote, originally posted by AudiPutz »
      imxc90,

Ask the ‘cheap’ gas station manager where exactly he’s getting the gas from. It’s common practice at least here in CA that the gas comes from the nearest refinery no matter which brand. To transport the fuel over long distances costs money. So you might be buying BP gas at a Shell gas station for example. I buy mine at Costco (the cheapest of them all) where the gas comes from the nearby Chevron refinery.

Jirka,

what you are writing is absolutely true. The "secret" to real cheap gas (other than local taxes which are the same for everyone) is the final mix of detergents that are added before delivery. I have talked, face to facce, with quite a few gasoline tanker drivers, my father used to be an engineer in an oil tanker with deep knowledge of refinery process plus my grandfather used to transport gasoline all over Northern Greece plus I do business with a local convenience franchise that has, recently, gotten into the gasoline retail business (very cheap gas) and a couple of their executives have let me know why their gas is so cheap...

Yannis

2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Hmmm,

Okay. So, does anyone know where I can find a comparison chart between these SF Bay Area refineries (in terms of "final mix of detergents that are added before delivery"):

1. Tesoro
      2. Valero
      3. Unocal
      4. Shell
      5. Chevron

thanks.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements