SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Polestar Engineered Drive Mode?!

24K views 70 replies 42 participants last post by  2020XC90T8 
#1 ·
So just got my car's first (10k) service last weekend, and when I happened to be tinkering in drive modes I noted that since the service update, Dynamic Mode seems to have been replaced with Polestar Engineered!

I had Polestar installed when I picked up my car on OSD in September, and I got the box and the fancy badge on the back, but this is the first time I have seen this new Polestar related call out show up in drive mode. Wondering if it is something new with this update, or if I have been driving around thinking I had Polestar for months without it really being installed?

Is this just re-brand of the dynamic mode, or have there been some additional tweaks made?

Thanks in advance for any light y'all can shed.

#2 ·
#4 ·
So just got my car's first (10k) service last weekend, and when I happened to be tinkering in drive modes I noted that since the service update, Dynamic Mode seems to have been replaced with Polestar Engineered!

I had Polestar installed when I picked up my car on OSD in September, and I got the box and the fancy badge on the back, but this is the first time I have seen this new Polestar related call out show up in drive mode. Wondering if it is something new with this update, or if I have been driving around thinking I had Polestar for months without it really being installed?

Is this just re-brand of the dynamic mode, or have there been some additional tweaks made?

Thanks in advance for any light y'all can shed.
Yes, that is the new look for any car upgraded with Polestar optimization but I thought it was only available for MY20s and not be able to retrofit that to any prior model year.

What year is your car? Additionally, when you choose Polestar Engineered mode (old Dynamic) does the tach and speedo hue change to Polestar Blue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
At least there is now a way to conform Polestar is installed. Perhaps 'Polestar Engineered' will replace 'Dynamic' for all equipped XC90s, and the new blue theme Grecian alludes to is for the 2020s?

#11 ·
Ugh - With all the software update "mishaps" I've had - like.. installing the s90 road run off update.. to my xc90 (Invoice gave s90 part numbers..) .. and noticing the missing new green "A" from the latest update on my 2017 V90.. I've always wondered if Polestar was really ever installed on my cars... - BUT, with May update - my 2017 V90 w/Polestar - a NEW driving mode did come up.. (Haven't taken 17' XC90 in yet) - Does the May update include all previous updates too?

Text Electronics Technology Gadget Font

#12 ·

Just got my car back from the dealer...and had the upgrade. In the 3 minute ride I had from the dealer to work, seemed way more aggressive and loud, but that could be all in my head...my loaner was an XC90.

#14 ·
With the latest software version, the acceleration becomes linearly stronger 2 secs after pushing on the accelerator...I figure gears 3-5 shine with this upgrade.

#19 ·
My 2019 T6 was in the shop today to get it's first maintenance done. Something happened when they were trying to update the software, so my car ended up being at the shop all day.

I also purchased Polestar and got the kit with the badge. It seems that the car behaves differently, but in the drive mode it still says DYNAMIC.
Could it be that the SW update is still missing (i.e. running pre May 2019 SW), but they enabled Polestar? How do I know which SW it has and has Polestar really been enabled?

#23 ·
We have the MY17 models with the latest software but the drive selection mode still indicates Dynamic. However, once selected the IP Cluster displays Polestar.

#24 ·
About this, I've noticed it is random. I'm sure there is some method to the madness which I haven't figured out yet. My 2018 V90CC showed Polestar on the tacho screen but dynamic on the Sensus screen after the May 2019 software update. Recently, I had my 50k mile service, and along with it, the November 2019 software update, and now, both screens (Tacho + Sensus) show Polestar Engineered.

#27 ·
MY19s and newer show Polestar Engineered throughout. Earlier model years show what you wrote.
So it turns out I had my 30K service done before Nov. so I received the earlier update. My wife's XC90 went in on Dec. so she received the latest software update. While mine only shows Polestar on the IP cluster, my wife's shows Polestar on the drive mode selection screen as well as the IP Cluster. So this is not specific to MY2019 as we have MY2017s.

#30 ·
Any truth to Polestar mode turning the gauges blue on MY2020s?

#32 ·
I also have an '18 Polestar and sent a link of this thread to my SA while it was int the shop for an airbag light and gaps in the sunroof seal (3rd replacement). Despite having the car in just a few weeks ago for scheduled service (and presumably software updates), my car still showed "Dynamic". After yesterday's software update, it now shows Polestar in the tachometer, and "Polestar Engineered" in the drive mode options list. I don't think my dealer was updating my software, despite me asking if it's up to date ever time I go in.

#45 ·
I just had my 2017 xc90 t6 r design upgraded with Pole Star. I got the white badge after and my dynamic mode was swapped out with P* engineered. My question is do I need to have it on the P* mode to experience the upgrade? or can I still leave it on comfort mode (daily driving) to experience the difference. I do notice a more aggressive acceleration and gears changes quicker and smooth in comfort mode. I want to make sure it is not in my head. lol!

Thank you all!

#47 ·
I just had my 2017 xc90 t6 r design upgraded with Pole Star. I got the white badge after and my dynamic mode was swapped out with P* engineered. My question is do I need to have it on the P* mode to experience the upgrade? or can I still leave it on comfort mode (daily driving) to experience the difference. I do notice a more aggressive acceleration and gears changes quicker and smooth in comfort mode. I want to make sure it is not in my head. lol!

Thank you all!
I believe it makes a difference in all modes, not just P* Engineered / Dynamic

#46 ·
My 2016 says Polestar in the drive select mode and in the tach when activated. I had Polestar put on when I purchased it in early 2016.

#50 ·
On my T8 there is a bit more power in Polestar Engineered than before. The revs are kept higher in PE mode to improve throttle response. There seems to be torque vectoring as it turns better under power than before.

Honestly, I wish the PE mode was added to the previous 4 modes for a total of 5 options. There is a place for the non PE power mode in my driving, with improved throttle response and sharper steering over Hybrid but without the higher revs.

I don't regret getting the option, but it would be nice to have 5 options... It's only software after all.

Sean

#51 · (Edited)
On my T8 there is a bit more power in Polestar Engineered than before. The revs are kept higher in PE mode to improve throttle response. There seems to be torque vectoring as it turns better under power than before.

Honestly, I wish the PE mode was added to the previous 4 modes for a total of 5 options. There is a place for the non PE power mode in my driving, with improved throttle response and sharper steering over Hybrid but without the higher revs.

I don't regret getting the option, but it would be nice to have 5 options... It's only software after all.

Sean
Thanks for the feedback, guys.
Sean - why can't you accomplish this with the custom driving profile? Would that not work?

I had a 2016 D5 and a 2017 T8. Both are gone now.

But my gf has a 2021 T8, recently picked up (with a very loud electric engine, I should add, it's getting checked, but I... well... ERAD?... anyhow...). I am considering polestar as a birthday present for her. To be honest, it's not the extra power. It just that the gear box is not always as smooth as I would like - and I am wondering whether Polestar tuning would solve that. I certainly saw a lot of improvement in that sense on a T6. Power-wise, I don't think she really needs anything extra... not with our roads and speed limits.

#55 ·
Blood isn't gonna come from the addition of drive modes, but lack of driver focus on the road while going through a long list of drive modes for a suitable one

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.