SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Faulty fuel pressure

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  lolvos60R 
#1 · (Edited)
Only started after I installed my est catted dp and cat back. Got the ecm400-c for twc signal too high along with that I got fuel pressure faulty. Don't remember the code since I erased it and never came back yet.... ordered a spacer for the rear o2 for the cat code. pump duty cycle at idle is between 50-52% and between 395-405kpa. It will rise to about 70% duty under full throttle and the pressure rises accordingly. Will double check on my way home tonight. There's absolutely no hiccups or misses. Car runs and drives fine and pulls as it should. Did have one no start a couple weeks ago. Started every time since. I do have the aeromotive pump from viva in the tank. I have emissions due and I'm not really sure if it's the pump or the pem is just finally pissed about it. The pump and pem are the same age. Replace both together. Was going to order the Bosch unit from fcp but trying to find out if that's the actual problem. All the wiring seems good. Pem is in the trunk. I was also told when I bought the car 5+ years ago it had an ipd tune. I have not yet confirmed that and idk if that would make things difficult. Just wanted some guidance from some of the Volvo guys to see if I'm on the right track. Sorry for the long, all over the place post. Thank you in advanced.

Edit: fuel filter was also changed with the pump and pem. Also had to remove the pump a few times due to debris in the tank from initial job. [emoji849] dirt hides under the locking ring.

Sent from my iPhone XR using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
When the PEM on my wife's s60 started to go it would hesitate and bog when accelerating, then eventually lost all power. Doesn't sound like that's happening but also I'm sure they die in different ways? Could also grab a PEM from a junkyard and see if swapping makes it better. Most cars '05+ have em in the trunk. Just make sure you get the right one for your tank, there are two different part numbers for the plastic and metal tanks!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Yea there's no hesitation what so ever. Still makes all the pressure according to vida. They do die in different ways for sure. It's probably not a bad idea to get a spare pem to swap it to diagnose. A good used one is cheap enough.

#5 ·
It wasn't low fuel pressure. It just said faulty fuel pressure. I'm guessing cause the duty cycle was high at idle. The FPS is new ish. Couple years old maybe. When it went on me before it would hesitate in certain rpms and it threw a code for the FPS. Replaced it and never had a problem til this popped up. There's no drive ability issues at all. Funny thing is the three way cat code says that faulty fuel pressure could be the cause for that code but I can't get it to come back since clearing on Saturday. The cat code came back on the first drive cycle. The duty cycle is still at 50% at idle and climes to about 65-70% under full throttle toward the high rpms and the pressure went up to like 620kpa ish if I remember correctly. I didn't take a picture of the live data.

#6 ·
Added the o2 spacer and cat cote disappeared! Also duty cycle on pump went down to 48% at idle. No fuel pressure code yet after a week. [emoji1696]

#7 ·
I had a car brought to me that had the fuel pump replaced and dirt in tank. The pump had been replaced again but the code came back weeks later and PEM duty cycle was like yours, 52-54% idling warmed up. I pulled pump and cleaned the tank debris out and then I took the pumps out of the cup and used brake cleaner spray to get the dust off the pickup screen on bottom of pumps. The dust/silt had gotten that primary filter partly plugged and suction side obstruction certainly makes pump work harder. The PEM signal @ idle was under 40% once cleaned.

I took the pumps loose from cup but did not undo fuel lines to do the spraying. I took that apart as an investigation to see if something was on that membrane filter and it was nearly black.

#8 · (Edited)
This has crossed my mind with the possibility that the filter is getting clogged up also. I did have to pull the pump after install cause I didn't get all the crap in the tank the first time. It looked clean but apparently had hiding garbage in places I couldn't see. It has been 3 years+ since install. It wouldnt really hurt anything to pull and check the fp screen.

#10 ·
That's what I found also with my research that's why I was going to swap to a Bosch unit. I had to modify the basket to make aero pump to fit. I read the dw300 was a direct swap. I'd probably need a new basket to make that pump work.

#11 ·
400-c twc signal too high has returned. On second sensor also. [emoji2359] looks like I'll be pulling the pump to check the pump screen for blockage. According to vida faulty fuel pressure is one of the issues that causes this cat code and it does seem to be an issue.

#12 ·
Fuel pressure- faulty signal ecm-2900 was the code I had in vida. Found a post from big Forman when he had this problem and he replaced the pump and it fixed it. It’s been to cold with no garage to pull the pump and really would only like to do it once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.