SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport— ON BORROWED TIME?

7K views 47 replies 23 participants last post by  vince1 
#1 ·
I paid $4500 for this car 13,000 miles ago. I put on new Yokohama tires, replaced all filters, replaced spark plugs, and replaced brake fluid. There are no fault codes, and two independent mechanics that I trust gave it a clean bill of health. It’s an 8 or a 9 out of 10 in appearance inside and out—Passion Red with black leather. It’s a hoot to drive, rust free, and shiny.

So what’s the problem? It’s got 265,000 miles on it. Spouse is worried I’ll get stranded somewhere. Thinks I should sell it before it hits 300,000 while I can still get some decent money for it. I’m thinking that even over 300,000 miles, it will be a good rebuild project for someone.

I’m new to Volvo’s, so I’m not sure what would be the best strategy. Opinions and ideas appreciated.

#2 ·
I think the idea that it will just randomly strand you after 300k is kind of nonsense. It's a used car, so like any used car, things will need replacing intermittently, but if it's in good working order and well cared for, there's no reason to think it's just going to stop working. Drive that baby in to the ground.

#3 ·
Agree 100%. I got my ‘11 V8 last year with 135k, put ~25k this year, and plan to keep doing so for the next decade at least. As long as my family doesn’t total them (which, frankly, I’m okay with - that’s why I buy Volvos instead of more health/life insurance), I keep ‘em forever.

BD

#4 · (Edited)
At this mileage and making the assumption that the angle gear is original, try not to romp on it in the wet with the wheels turned too much. That's about the only thing I think would be a big $$ surprise.

Serp belt and rollers need to be <120k miles, cap on the 3-way washer thingy under the passenger side needs to be solid so you don't spray washer fluid all over your alternator, couple other things to keep an eye on.

I'll guess that you don't have a deep history on this vehicle, would be interested in knowing what service has been performed over the last 11-12 years and what parts have been replaced.

#5 ·
I am the third owner. The first owner drove it 30k miles. The second owner had it for the next 220k miles. He sold it to me with a service record receipt folder an inch thick. Receipts for Oil change every 3k miles, tires, brakes, all the routine maintenance stuff. It seems like the guy took it to the shop for even minor cosmetic issues. I only recall some suspension work, but nothing major.

#6 · (Edited)
An 1" thick service history folder, quantitatively, is nice but you'll want to parse through the receipts and examine what exact services have been done.
At 265K miles, I wouldn't be inclined to keep throwing money into a vehicle unless it's a hobby vehicle or has some sort of non-monetary value.
A car is a mechanical device and all mechanical devices wear down and have usable life's before the economics of keeping it running no longer make prudent or fiscal sense.

That said, is a car with higher mileage more prone to breaking down and leaving you stranded? On average, yes. So your spouse's concerns are rooted in fact but where they are off is in an arbitrary number between Now & 300,000 mi being the break down point.

Their idea that you should sell it while you can get decent money for it, also off. Decent money left the station 65,000 miles ago. The XC90 is just not special enough for a 4th buyer to hand over decent money for a vehicle with 265K miles on the ODO. So my view is, if you like it, drive it until the wheels fall off BUT set-up a financial threshold and be disciplined in adherence
(e.g. If this car cost me more than $1,500 a year to fix, I'm letting it go)

#8 ·
I disagree. Key differentiator in my opinion is the service binder and the attention paid to the vehicle.

The quoted above is coming from a first time Volvo owner with a "truck" that has a cockeyed headlight- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...eed-Service-Message-But-Headlights-Still-Work , a broken shifter claw- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...le-To-Go-Back-to-PRNDL&highlight=shifter+claw , a flaky ICM- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...ound-Info-Navi-Will-Not-Pop-Up-Is-My-ICM-Dead, and a noisy READ- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...ne-Noise-Now-Occurs-During-Off-Throttle-Coast. Not trying to discount an opinion but I do think it's important to put that opinion into perspective.

#7 ·
I paid $4500 for this car 13,000 miles ago. I put on new Yokohama tires, replaced all filters, replaced spark plugs, and replaced brake fluid. There are no fault codes, and two independent mechanics that I trust gave it a clean bill of health. It's an 8 or a 9 out of 10 in appearance inside and out-Passion Red with black leather. It's a hoot to drive, rust free, and shiny.

So what's the problem? It's got 265,000 miles on it. Spouse is worried I'll get stranded somewhere. Thinks I should sell it before it hits 300,000 while I can still get some decent money for it. I'm thinking that even over 300,000 miles, it will be a good rebuild project for someone.

I'm new to Volvo's, so I'm not sure what would be the best strategy. Opinions and ideas appreciated.
I'll let south park answer your question.....Clearly no one is a mind reader, and if the car has been properly maintained, there are a slew of Volvo's out there that have reached 1 million miles. Irv Gordon had 3.2 million miles on his P1800.

#12 ·
I'll likely be doing the same with the '05 (197k) this spring after semester break, not because it's got issues (does not) but the daily driver is no longer around and the vehicle should go to someone who will use it with more regularity. Still runs and looks great (less 1qt per 3k oil consumption and the door dings).

#11 ·
I have an 07 with 216k on it and I'm about to do the valve cover gaskets and alternator, I plan to get it as close to 300k or even over before I sell it. I love it! There's a fellow on here who has a s80 with the same motor/mostly same drivetrain with 315k+ on it. Locally I've seen multiple xc90 v8s with over 250k on them. I would definitely go thru the service records and look for serpentine belt tensionor and alternator replacement as those will be the more expensive surprises if they already hadn't been done. But I'd say drive it and enjoy it!

#14 ·
Another 200,000+ XC90 V8 chiming in here (just turned 200 last week). My vehicle looks great cosmetically due in part to me rarely having passengers (despite having 7 in the family), and the car not having seen a winter prior to 2015 when it came over to the east coast from California. I put about 30k on it annually as my primary daily driver (purchased at 60k miles), so I'm planning on keeping this one going as close to 300,000 or further as I can. It meets all my needs in a vehicle, and is unique enough with the V8 and installed features that it will keep me interested in driving it until I absolutely cannot - due to whatever disaster takes it off the road.

Having invested so much time and research in reading the forums, familiarizing myself with the maintenance of the XC90 V8, and getting the car to exactly where I want it with the suspension and tweaks here and there, makes me sad even thinking of being without it.

If I had a passion red V8 as the OP does, I wouldn't think twice about driving off into the sunset of 300,000 XC90 miles.. :cool:

Reactions: hunterphfr
#15 ·
Another 200k mile club member here (2007 3.2 AWD). I bought mine with 120k and have put on about 82k. Other than elective mods, brakes, tires and oil, I've really only had to do coil packs as a repair item. The car looks far too new, inside and out, despite its age and mileage for me to consider it as having one foot in the grave. It doesn't burn any oil, pulls hard, and shifts smoothly, so I don't see it declining in a big way any time soon.

#17 ·
Oh, boy! You guys sent me back to that service folder. I’m embarrassed now that I had not done so before posting. All major repairs and replacement done at the Volvo dealer. The previous owner spent a fortune on this car in the past 100k miles. I’ll post a list later today.

Also, thanks for all the feedback and encouragement. You guys have been great. Love the feedback.

#18 ·
Transmission replaced (internal failure) and rear main seal 163k
Serpentine belt and rollers 169k
Replaced alternator (new design required heat shield and air duct ?) and battery 175k
Replaced right rear wheel bearing 182k
Ball joint kit and right outer tie rod 190k
Replaced one TPMS sensor 247k
Valve cover, intake manifold, and timing cover gaskets and seals 250k
Front and rear pads and rotors 251k

#19 ·
Trans replaced - Excellent!
Serp & Rollers - As gg said, every 120k or so, so this will be coming due again soon
Alt & Battery - Excellent!
Replaced right rear wheel bearing - Means left will be coming due soon if not also done
Ball joint kit and right outer tie rod - Means left will be coming due soon if not also done
Replaced one TPMS sensor - Other 3 will probably need done by next time you do tires if not done previously
Valve cover, intake manifold, and timing cover gaskets and seals - Excellent!
Front and rear pads and rotors - These should be good for a while

That list hits some major items. The one outstanding question would be the Angle Gear. Since the trans was replaced, it's possible you got a new collar sleeve at that time. Hard to know what all they might have done, but hopefully it will have extended the AG's life.

#21 ·
I'm approaching 200K on my 06 2.5.

The car has been great mechanically. Nothing has failed; replaced parts on the recommended intervals (timing belt, water pump, etc). The car keeps chugging along. I have spent a lot of money over the last year because I should have replaced some stuff earlier, like the struts, controls arms and coils. All three of those items were original on the car...lol. As for the motor and transmission, the car is rock solid.

I am going through some other issues as the car ages, I don't think its Volvo specific, just age. For example, shifter claw in the gear selector column just broke; fuel pressure sensor is sending error codes; bad blower fan resistor; etc. Nothing major, just stuff happens with age.

The car has never left me or my family stranded.

#28 ·
#36 ·
Wheel bearings are probably one of the more unpredictable wear items.
I've had bearings fail on me in under 50,000 miles. I've had original bearings that should have long since failed continue to smoothly move around their races well past the 160,000 mile mark.

That your parent's Honda's bearings continued to run trouble free doesn't surprise me. Most of the best precision bearing companies are located in Japan.

#37 ·
My V8 has about 230k. Original owner. Dealer serviced until around 200k. Using excellent independent shop now. Hoping to get it up to between 250k and 300k and I'll be happy. Love this machine but will depend on cost-benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#40 ·
I paid $4500 for this car 13,000 miles ago. I put on new Yokohama tires, replaced all filters, replaced spark plugs, and replaced brake fluid. There are no fault codes, and two independent mechanics that I trust gave it a clean bill of health. It's an 8 or a 9 out of 10 in appearance inside and out-Passion Red with black leather. It's a hoot to drive, rust free, and shiny.

So what's the problem? It's got 265,000 miles on it. Spouse is worried I'll get stranded somewhere. Thinks I should sell it before it hits 300,000 while I can still get some decent money for it. I'm thinking that even over 300,000 miles, it will be a good rebuild project for someone.

I'm new to Volvo's, so I'm not sure what would be the best strategy. Opinions and ideas appreciated.
At that mileage the vehicle would have been receiving decent care. You're not going to get stranded anywhere. Unless you want to buy a new car any other used car is going to be just as likely or unlikely to leave you stranded. It depends on the level of care. Our XC90 V8 is pushing 200k and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country. Same goes for my daughter's almost 300k 240. Take care of it and it will take care of you. If you are faced with a major repair you can decide whether it's worth it or not. Our XC90 V8 had a couterbalance shaft bearing failure. It didn't leave anyone stranded on the side of the road. My wife got to her (local) destination and we had it towed at that point. Not what I called getting stranded on the side of the road on a cold and rainy night. I have never had that happen in any Volvo unless it was an accident.

#41 ·
Take care of it and it will take care of you. Amen.

I've been driving my ~230k mile V8 between Annapolis and Savannah the last four years visiting my daughter in college and moving her in and out of her two dorms and two apartments. Roof rack loads and all. No problem.

#44 · (Edited)
I did the RR first and I could get two Timkens from Rockauto to the door for the cost of one SKF at Volvo, so did the other side too and kept the spare. When the RF went about 50k kms later, I again did them both. The last pair was at least a year ago. The car now has 235k kms or 146k miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.