SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What do you do when they say they can't fix it? Anyone have experience with Lemon Laws?

3K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  jtmachen 
#1 ·
I am on my fifth Volvo loaner. The dealer has finally identified the problem with my car after four attempts. That's the good news. The problem is the fix is purely software related and there is not software available "yet" to fix my car. They are apparently coding it up in Sweden but no one knows when it will be released. My car has been in and out of the shop for 30+ days in the past 2 months. I bought the 2017 Inscription this past summer, new, approx 72k. No one knows when the software will be available to fix my vehicle. That said, they told me to come pick it up today or tomorrow. I have been nice, they have been nice. No one is being unprofessional. I even offered them a case of wine if they could fix it. What to do? Is employing the lemon law practical, or is it one long waste of legal funds? Does working directly with the dealer or Volvo corporate ever really yield success? If you have any experience with Volvo or any other manufacturer on this type of issue please let me know. I don't want my new full time job to be arguing over a car. Best case, I write Volvo corporate and they offer a refund or swap for a car that works but from what I understand, there are so many software issues that I can't imagine they would make the former a remote possibility. I can only imagine how bad the CarFax report is going to look should I try and eat it on a trade as well. This was my fear with any vehicle with so much code behind it, mechanics can't fix it, just software developers. Trying to keep my cool, but any experience with any car as it relates to unfix-able issues as communicated by the dealer would be helpful.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
PM me, I went through a similar situation. I received full compensation, a replacement vehicle better then mine, and worked with volvo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
The dealer has been working hard to fix the issue. They were told by Volvo themselves that they are aware of the problem, it is a software bug and there is not yet a fix as it is a programming issue. So it is out of the dealer's control. Why can't they format the drive and do a 2018 fresh install? No updates, no upgrades, no patches, just a full wipe and install?

#6 ·
I don't think I am understanding your response. Are you saying that since one day in the future it could work and even though it has a material flaw without a solution today or an estimate of when it could be solved, that I should be pleased with the performance of the vehicle and not pursue a claim? I don't understand your logic.

#10 ·
Lemon laws vary by state. Generally, they require a certain amount of time to have been spent and/or certain number of time trying to repair a particular problem. There are varying time limits to when you have to make such a claim. The problem(s) might need to be one that materially impacts your ability to use the vehicle and/or affects the value of the vehicle so minor things like a stuck air vent for which a part can't be sourced or a piece of trim that keeps falling off but is easily reattached might not be enough to qualify.

As an example, in my state (Illinois) there must have been at least four attempts or 30 days spent trying to fix a problem within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles of ownership of a vehicle purchased as new. So second owners are excluded and so are issues that come up after the first year of ownership.

Your best bet is to call Volvo corporate. They can work with the dealer to satisfy you without you having to file a claim through your state's attorney general or however they are handled.

I'm curious, what is the specific problem you're having? If it's something like a complaint about how Pandora is laggy, or how your HUD doesn't stay in place then that might not be something you're going to get satisfaction on but if it's something more important like buttons not operating or a power drain on the battery while parked, then that would probably get more attention.

Talk to the people here who've had buy backs done, they can tell you how it was all handled.

#12 ·
The A/C won't come on. There were days when it was 105 degrees here in AZ and I thought I was going to pass out with out the A/C. It comes on maybe 50% of the time now. They had it four times and over 30 days. I supplied videos. They were also able to replicate the problem. They finally identified it as a software problem with no known fix at this time. Would have been less of an issue if it weren't so darn hot here in AZ this past summer! My wife refuses to use my car.

#11 ·
They replaced our 2016 with a 2017. Lemon law depends on the state you live. The law is actually straight forward - at least it was for us. Although our dealer was very good, we simply got to the point that we had lost faith in the vehicle, and with all the issues well documented and the vehicle in service as long as it was during its first 11 months of ownership, Volvo exchanged it for another vehicle without us having to declare it as a lemon. All we had to pay was a small usage fee, as outlined in our state lemon law statutes.

#15 ·
I'd like to know this too. If this is a software issue, then why wouldn't it affect all the other vehicles of this trim as well? Is it something climate-related, like the outside temperature sensor relaying the wrong temperature to the software?

Having no A/C in Phoenix is a BIG deal.

#27 ·
I can only imagine how uncomfortable that would be having spent no more than two days there (it was 105.)

OP, does your driver display report the wrong outside temperature which is indicative of a faulty sensor?
The outdoor temp, and the thermometer placed in the A/C vent are identical. They confirmed yesterday that it is 100% software related. There apparently is a little door/gate that opens to let the A/C into the cabin when the A/C is turned on. Volvo (Sweden engineers) produced a way for the guys here to check if the door/gate was not open on A/C activation. They were able to see the door/gate does not open for some time (15 minutes) or unless you turn it on and off to cycle it (or shut the car down). They confirmed the A/C was actually on as well just can't move into the car. The local shop foreman said Volvo called it a "software bug" and that it sounded as if other cars are affected but it is not common at all. I have a 2107 Inscription. I will tell you that I am aware of other car companies having strange issues due to the many custom packages. I recall one car company was having a problem (computer related) and they figured out that it only occurred on cars with the heated steering wheel package! Crazy. Anyway, my problem is apparently in the hands of programmers.

#19 ·
All I can say is contact a lawyer now. I stupidly waited, thinking mine would be fixed (popping, acceleration issues). Now not sure I could file a claim, since mine was bought at the end of '16.

#20 ·
#22 ·
this isn't a software problem. This is a "dealer doesn't know what the **** they are doing" problem.

I've seen a horrible amount of buybacks come out of Arizona. Makes me wonder if it is the same dealer doing this.

#24 ·
Please don't hire a lawyer and don't sign retainer documents with the lawyer! All you need is enough documented visits and a formal notice you write, by yourself, from a template (search your state's lemon law and template), mail that notice to Volvo through USPS certified mail, and Volvo will work with you.

If you sign a retainer, the lawyer may be entitled to a percentage of your compensation--I'd use that as last resort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.