SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

How to Determine Age of Car Battery?

9K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  MyVolvoS60 
#1 · (Edited)
I suspect my car battery is original to the vehicle, but I absolutely cannot find a date on the battery. You'd think one would be printed on the sticker? I run a Dash Camera, with power cut off at 50%, and it seems the camera shuts off sooner and sooner. If the battery is original to the car, it's about 56 months old. However, I'd like to know for sure, but all I see is a serial number.

Sometime between now or when I have the car in for service, I'll have battery tested, but I'd like to know the age none the less. Attaching Pictures.

Also: How long are Volvo Batteries Rated to last?

Cable Technology Electronic device Wire Electronics

Electronics Technology Electronic device

Tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel Vehicle

Cable Electronics Wire Technology Electronic device

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a 7 year old OEM battery in my V50 that I proactively replaced going into a winter - I figured it was better safe than sorry even though it was still going strong. In our S40, we replaced the original battery after 8 years. In the S60, I assume it's the original battery (I bought the car only 2 years old) and its in-service date was April 2014, so mine is going on 6 years.

Hope this gives you an idea of longevity! I'll always stick with OEM with these types of results.

#3 ·
I suspect my car battery is original to the vehicle, but I absolutely cannot find a date on the battery. You'd think one would be printed on the sticker? I run a Dash Camera, with power cut off at 50%, and it seems the camera shuts off sooner and sooner. If the battery is original to the car, it's about 56 months old. However, I'd like to know for sure, but all I see is a serial number.

Sometime between now or when I have the car in for service, I'll have battery tested, but I'd like to know the age none the less. Attaching Pictures.

Also: How long are Volvo Batteries Rated to last?

View attachment 59003

View attachment 59001

View attachment 59005

View attachment 59007
T replaced the original Volvo battery in our 07' V70 this year. The battery was still going strong without any problems but I decided to replace because it was starting to weep fluid around the top seam otherwise it would have remained. The battery did not have a date but I suspect it was manufactured sometime in 06'.

#10 ·
I really hope the hardwired Dash Cam isn't draining the batter down this quick, as I've run it over a year. Last time battery was tested (sometime last year) it was at around 75%. Starting to wonder if it's nearing around 60% since Camera shuts off sooner now. Guess I'll need to get it tested. I presume as others suggested, the battery is original, even though there's no date to be found.

#9 ·
I didn't see a date printed anywhere. Only serial numbers. Car was made in June 2014 and bought June 2016. Came as a Demo / Loaner with in service date of June 2015 + 2000 miles. So I'd surmise the battery is original too, unless there had been an issue necessitating a swap.

What is the average life of an OE battery from Volvo? I know having a Dash Cam hardwired will shorten the life some, but I'm suspecting I'm nearing maybe 60% since cutoff is at 50% and camera isn't staying on nearly as long as it use to. Not really wanting to lower voltage to 25% or I might find I have a car that doesn't start.

#6 · (Edited)
This doesn't answer your question but I replace my batteries after 5-6 years. Definitely before the 6-year mark whether it needs it or not. I know batteries MAY last up to 7 years, the hassle of it dying one me (no-start) condition is not worth the hassle (even with AAA protection).

I usually just go with an Interstate battery although the last one I got was a Bosch AGM from Pepboys when they were offering a $40 rebate.

#7 ·
I think where you live also contributes to when a battery should be changed. In areas then have consistent temperatures you could probably get away with a change every 5-7 years. Up here in Canada, and Ottawa in particular, we have some pretty extreme ranges in temperature. During the summer months daily average can be between 20-32 celcius (68-90F), spring and fall is maybe 10-20C (50-68F), but our winters can be brutal. For the most part we probably average -10 to -15C (14 to 5F) but also have days in Jan /Feb that can hit -30 to -40 (-22 to -40F). These extremes can cause premature wear on a battery.

I have averaged a battery change about every 4 years on pretty much all the cars I have owned up here.

#8 ·
As far as I know, most aftermarket batteries have a date stamp code on the sticker, although I am not sure OE-labeled batteries are the same.

Since yours is OE marked, I would suspect it hasn't been changed (although it theoretically could have been done under warranty from the previous owner if there was an isue). Therefore, if you have a DiCE unit and look in VIDA under the Battery Monitoring Sensor submenu, it should tell you the life of the battery in total days and mileage. Of course that is only valid if the battery is 1) original, as aforementioned, or 2) if the battery was indeed replaced and the BMS was reset appropriately using VIDA.

As far as life goes, typical manufacturers will only warranty their batteries for about 4 years. In my experiences, I've typically gone between 5-6 years and then have seen charging failures prior to replacing batteries.

#11 · (Edited)
As far as I know, most aftermarket batteries have a date stamp code on the sticker, although I am not sure OE-labeled batteries are the same.

Since yours is OE marked, I would suspect it hasn't been changed (although it theoretically could have been done under warranty from the previous owner if there was an isue). Therefore, if you have a DiCE unit and look in VIDA under the Battery Monitoring Sensor submenu, it should tell you the life of the battery in total days and mileage. Of course that is only valid if the battery is 1) original, as aforementioned, or 2) if the battery was indeed replaced and the BMS was reset appropriately using VIDA.

As far as life goes, typical manufacturers will only warranty their batteries for about 4 years. In my experiences, I've typically gone between 5-6 years and then have seen charging failures prior to replacing batteries.
Car was manufactured 2 years before I purchased, but was only put into service year before purchase. In service June 2015 and purchased June 2016 with ~2000 miles on clock. No access to Vida. I've seen Low Battery Messages, but I do have a hard wired Dash Camera trickling power when parked. The camera seems to be shutting down more frequently at 50% voltage cutoff. So I'm starting to think the batter may be nearing 60% or less. It was tested last year at 75%. Course having something trickling the battery constantly is going to wear it quicker. Guess only solution without Vida is have it tested.

#13 · (Edited)
#18 · (Edited)
My battery full image

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
Attaching image of terminal alone.

Auto part

#23 ·
Thank you. So 100% original since manufacture date is June 2014. Probably sat around a year... Then used as Demo / Loaner yr with 2000 Miles beginning June 2015. I've had a little under 4 years (June 2016) and 62,000 miles of driving.

Imagine the power seats and other systems trickle battery. Camera I presume is drawing 3.1 AMPS? All and all I suspect the battery is hitting around 60%, but will get tested. Voltage cutoff works in increments.

From what I've been told:

12.6 = 100% battery
12.4 = 75% (First choice)
12.2 = 50%
12.0 = 25%
11.8 = Dead

I'm pretty reluctant to set it to 12.0 for fear of walking home. If I have to throw a few hundred bucks at a new battery here soon, I can't complain. Dash Camera has more than paid itself off.

#31 ·
Looks like the battery capacity is 80Ah, so half an amp for twelve hours would use less than ten percent of the battery capacity... assuming you drive it enough to charge up each day then leaving the camera on overnight shouldn’t be a problem

#32 ·
Looks like the battery capacity is 80Ah, so half an amp for twelve hours would use less than ten percent of the battery capacity... assuming you drive it enough to charge up each day then leaving the camera on overnight shouldn't be a problem
Parked in house garage overnight. Camera powered off then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.