SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Latest SPA MY16-MY2* Sensus Road Map and Voice Control Update Info

180K views 610 replies 134 participants last post by  james_2708 
#1 · (Edited)
Roadmap Updates for convenient listing of Roadmaps, Voice Control, and Gracenote for Sensus (e.g., MY16-MY2* SPA series and SPA vehicles legacy Sensus).

Roadmap Updates and Instructions
1456 (Europe, North America, et al *)

Published
29 February 2024

Next Planned update:
04 Apr 2024

*Check your region's website for: Africa and Middle East, India, Israel, Pacific, South America, South East Asia, Taiwan, and Turkey

Roadmap Download Support Pages
US: Download the Latest Maps (NA-907_1456, 38.33 GB, MacOS)​
Note: Volvo Cars US recommends use of the US download site (not U.K.) for US models​

HERE Map Errors: Register on HERE's Map Creator to report and fix map errors.

Voice control: 32141802AA
US: Download the Latest Voice Control files, posted November 2021
UK: Support | Volvo Cars | Volvo Support, posted 01 Dec. 2020

Voice control commands: Voice Commands Updated: 25 Nov. 2021 US English
Gracenote: 31667039AA released May 2017 (base).
US: Gracenote
UK: Support | Volvo Cars | Volvo Support

Navigation Services (explains things like Navigation, Glympse, Local Search, Find Fuel)
US: Apps Available for your Volvo Equipped with Sensus Navigation
UK: Support | Volvo Cars | Volvo Support

* Road map versions and dates may vary by map region. Road maps are generally updated monthly. Instructions for checking your version can be found on your Volvo region's Owner/Roadmap pages.

** Per TJ 32185.1.1, voice control was promoted to be updated semi-annually (e.g., May and November). Practically, it is being updated once per year at most.

Sensus Road Map Update Strategies
1. Update your entire region (or desired subregions) a few days before you leave home.
2. Don't assume that you will always have a cellular connection. Even if you use maps on your mobile phone, you may still lose cellular connection regardless of location and carrier.
3. Have the latest base maps loaded on Sensus before you go so that you are not dependent on a cellular connection.

Over-the-Air (OTA) v. USB
OTA roadmap updates are available if you have adequate internet connectivity.
  • You must set your home region for OTA.
  • Turn on Auto Update so that your Home Region is always current, unless you routinely update base maps via USB.
Notice: You may receive notices in Sensus that a newer version of software (e.g., Apps or Roadmap) are available based on every installed subregion. Updating base maps via USB totally eliminates all of those subregion messages.

Road map downloads are packaged as subregions so that they are smaller and faster to download and install.

Update Methods
1. Over-the-Air (OTA) Update of your Home Region is the minimum and is sufficient for most. (It also minimizes the persistent "updates available" messages.)
- For MY17 and newer models, you have built-in 4G LTE VOC and Vehicle modems.
* 4G LTE is sufficient if you have good cellular connection and unlimited data.
* Otherwise, use your home WiFi (or a cellular 4G LTE or 5G cellular hotspot) and connect your car to your local WiFi or Hotspot. This can be the cheapest and fastest if available for your home region. OTA for multiple regions can work as long as you have the time available and do not install many large subregions.
- For MY16s and earlier, your vehicle will likely have 3G VOC and Vehicle modems which are no longer supported by cellular carriers or Volvo. A 4G LTE upgrade is available [now], subject to availability. Consider contacting Volvo Customer Care for a discount for the cost of the upgrade which can be as much as 30% off the parts (but not labor or tax). The cost of parts and labor can range from ~$900 to ~$1500 depending on your region and shop rates.

2. USB Update is the fastest method to update an entire base Region (e.g., NA) even though it may require ~35 minutes once downloaded to a USB memory stick from your computer.
* There is no dependency on cellular or WiFi connections with the USB memory stick.
* Best practice is to only have the white-bordered USB port plugged in with the memory stick. Unplug any other device or cable that might be plugged into the second USB port in the console (assuming that you have dual ports).

Supplemental SwedeSpeedsters' Instructions
See detailed instructions at Post #36 on top of page 2. Big thanks to SDspeed.

Notes
0. Disregard the reported version on VolvoCars US website as the data pulls from the global Volvo servers. The US webpage info tends to lags, and the link connects directly to the global Volvo server.
1. Road map updates occur ~ monthly in most markets. Voice control is ~ once per year.
2. Full Road map updates for a region (e.g., all of NA) can take up to 2.5 hours to download (e.g., full NA, 37 GB) from your computer to the USB drive. The install from USB to the vehicle takes about 35 min.
- The download app displays a progress percent complete. The elapsed time may vary depending the Class of the USB drive - Class 10 being recommended.
- Voice update has an installation in progress but no progress percent complete.
- Notifications and status can be pulled down from top menu.
3. OTA road map updates are available in selected markets. OTA updates are most practical for your home region since the file size is smaller. However, if you wish to update multiple regions, it may be best to use the USB method rather than OTA. If you plan to update the entire map base (e.g., North America or Europe), the recommendation is to use the USB Update using at least a ~64 GB thumb drive in an ExFAT format. BE sure to turn off "Automatic Update" if you plan to use USB method as the OTA seems to conflicts with and overrides USB Update process - leading to "pauses" in the update process.
4. If you use a Mac, search for the file starting with "Sensus" in the Download folder to launch the App that downloads the Maps to a USB drive (recommended). A Windows PC will prompt you to run the Program which you want to do while the Mac just downloads the App - requiring you to initiate the download of the maps.
5. A fast, empty 64 GB USB drive (or larger) is recommended to be formatted as exFAT (or FAT32 w/ third party apps). SDspeed reported that NTSF will also work. For models with dual USB ports, use the USB port that is enclosed by a white border.
6. Installation in the car can be done "on the go", at home, et al.
A. At home, you must babysit the car when USB and occasionally touch the screen or home button so Sensus stays awake for about 35 min. at 6-7 min. intervals. Do not remove the USB drive until the install is 100% done - lest you may have a dealer visit in your near future. You may wish to connect a Battery Tender or Maintainer to maintain your battery charge level while the installation occurs for ~30 min. Do not start your ICE in the enclosed garage. A battery tender is safer.
B. On the go, leave the USB drive plugged in until the installation is complete even if your trips are shorter than the 35 minutes needed. Sensus will resume the install where it left off. Your Sensus Navigation will not be available while updating Road maps. At least on MY16s, navigation may not be available until after you have stopped, shut off your car, locked your car for a couple of minutes - allowing Sensus to effectively re-boot.
C. Voice control installation must be performed separately from road maps.
D. Once the installation(s) are complete, you must turn off the car and preferably lock it to re-set Sensus.
8. For MacBook users, The download app now supports 64-bit applications. Reformat a USB drive on your Mac rather than use a PC formatted drive as a precaution.
9. Dealers generally will not update roadmaps and apps unless you specifically request it. Also, a dealer may charge for labor.
10. If you encounter an error with the OTA update, there are two options.(A) Shut the car off, lock it and let it recycle for several minutes and try again; or (B) Download to a clean USB drive, verify its contents, and install via USB port. Try a different USB memory stick and/or reformat the memory stick.
11. You may update one or more smaller regions (e.g., UK) even though you may have originally installed the full region. The other, older maps for the larger market (e.g., Europe, North America) will be retained until the entire base map is updated in its entirety.
12. Be sure to download the SPA version which should have SPA in the name of the download site or file. For USA, go to Volvo Customer Help US.
14. Install any and all pending Volvo and third app updates first before installing road map updates as they tend to interrupt the road map update process.. Close the app before the update (e.g., Pandora); otherwise, the installation may hang up.Likewise, if a subregion map is already updating, let that subregion update finish before attempting to use the USB method to update the entire base map.
15. If your installation seems to stop, pause, or shows no progress, be patient. Some updates can take longer and it appears that pending Volvo and third party apps may have, or take, priority over map updates.
16. If all else fails, try to re-install Voice Control, and then re-install maps. Sidwin and a Volvo dealer in DEN did this with help from Volvo Tech Support. However, if your vehicle has the latest voice control software this option may not work since the installer detects an older version on the USB than what is installed in the car. This workaround does not always work if you have the latest version of Voice Control.
17. If OTA is installing your Home Region, let it finish first. If you try to install from the USB while your vehicle is installing your Home Region OTA, the OTA will pause and create an issue - leaving you without navigation until the vehicle resolves it. If the full USB does not install, you may end up with a partial install and no navigation which takes you to Step 16 and likely the dealer.
18. Please don't complain about the frequency of road map updates. Turn-by-turn directions and other enhancements are typically included. More frequent and free updates are better than infrequent updates at a cost. (e.g., Toyota and other brands).

See less See more
#8 ·
So I took delivery of my MY16 xc90 in July 2016, never had any software updates since, and just last month I've updated the voice and 1173 map update, didn't see any difference or problems. So my question is, according to #7 written above, should I be concerned for future updates? Anybody know what that November update includes?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Supposedly the 1170 map update required the November 2016 total software update. In practice, like you, I installed that update without a total software update and didn't have any issues.

That being said, the total software update in November included support for Android Auto, bug fixes and introduced a bug that caused battery drain but for which a workaround has been put in place.

#9 · (Edited)
If you did not have the November update applied before updating voice commands and roadmaps 1170 or newer, you may want to call Volvo's Customer Care to see what the impact is, if any. You may be fine if navigation and voice commands are working reasonably well.

My note #7 was intended to highlight Volvo's note in the instructions which said:
Note: If your XC90 was delivered to you prior to November 14, 2016, please be sure your car has received the most recent software update at your local authorized Volvo dealer.
P.S., I do not know the details of the November update and its dependency. For some reason, I thought the focus and dependency was for improved voice command functionality and future voice command updates.

#13 ·
I updated my voice control this morning on my drive to work. When I inserted the USB it said do you want to update the voice control and then I clicked yes. After that a banner at the top of the screen said your voice control is updating. After that I did not see a progress wheel or any confirmation it was finished. Has anyone's experience with the voice control update been different or similar to mine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I updated my voice control this morning on my drive to work. When I inserted the USB it said do you want to update the voice control and then I clicked yes. After that a banner at the top of the screen said your voice control is updating. After that I did not see a progress wheel or any confirmation it was finished. Has anyone's experience with the voice control update been different or similar to mine?

I recall reading that you won't actually see a progress bar for the voice updates and that you have to check the notification shade to see when it completes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi using Tapatalk

#19 · (Edited)
Did the voice update today while I was working outside the car. Leaving the ignition in Mode I was futile since Sensus was staying on only for 10 minutes at a time. How can we use the car to listen to music while outside? i tried with the doors open and no difference.

I got the update done in Ignition Mode II. Obviously I won't try this with the map update. The Sensus screen closed itself but I knew it wasn't off since the light on the USB stick was on. After a short while (20 minutes) I checked the notification shade and it said Voice Control updated. No closing ignition, lock unlock needed.

#21 ·
I got the update done in Ignition Mode II. Obviously I won't try this with the map update.
Changed my mind and decided to try the Map Update in Ignition Mode II. But when I plugged my battery charger I could hear a constant wine under the hood. Not sure if its the fuel pressure pump or something and I don't know if it runs while the engine is running or only for start up...

So I switch to Mode I instead. Went allot faster than expected as I only had to re-open the driver door and close it 4-5 times to get the Sensus to re-start. It detects the usb key and continues without any intervention. Has a nice progress wheel on the screen with a percentage completed in the middle. After it 100% completed it says I have to leave the car to finish the installation. Strange way of putting it. Basically it needs a reboot. So I put the ignition in Mode 0 and back to I and Nav is updated.

#20 ·
I wanted to provide an update. My voice control update has been installed successfully. I must have missed the notification that it was installed. When I tried to reinstall this morning I received a notification that it already had been installed. Thanks for everyone's help.

#22 ·
Formatting the USB drive, is NTFS ok, as Win10 won't format 64Gb USB drive in FAT32...?

#23 · (Edited)
I think that FAT32 and exFAT are your only two options . This is based on an unrelated TJ 32044.4.0 that required a USB drive to be formatted and downloaded via the vehicle's USB port (to address a Sensus update) which had a screen shot of the different file formats. Although both FAT and NTSF were also in the screen shot only FAT32 and exFAT were stated as viable options. Take it for what it is worth.

Correction: PhatboyC indicated that he used NTSF successfully. SDspeed subsequently reported that NTSF also works.

#24 ·
I think that FAT32 and exFAT are your only two options . This is based on an unrelated TJ 32044.4.0 that required a USB drive to be formatted and downloaded via the vehicle's USB port (to address a Sensus update) which had a screen shot of the different file formats. Although both FAT and NTSF were also in the screen shot only FAT32 and exFAT were stated as viable options. Take it for what it is worth.
I don't think FAT32 will work either due to partition and file size limits. ExFAT is the way to go.

#28 ·
Thanks! I updated the notes on the first post.

#29 · (Edited)
Hum I could swear my 64gb usb stick I used is NTFS. I'm leaving on a snowmobile trip but will check on my return.

Perhaps in the instructions above you can add These notes: Map update has a progress wheel on the screen with a percentage completed. None for the Voice update. Also the reboot for Sensus is only needed after the map update not the voice update.

#30 ·
Hum I could swear my 64gb usb stick I used is NTFS. I am out of town but will check on my return.

Perhaps in the instructions above you can add These notes: Map update has a progress wheel on the screen with a percentage completed. None for the Voice update. Also the reboot for Sensus is only needed after the map update not the voice update.
I thought the progress status for the voice update showed up in the notifications pane that is visible by pulling down the settings menu, no? Then again, maybe it just reads "installing." I could be getting confused between voice update and app installs.

Makes sense for nav update to show in main screen since it's a tile, but since voice control has no interface, there's nowhere to put it except the notifications pane.

#31 ·
Your right. I should of been more clear. Voice update has Install in progress in settings menu notification then Install completed (or similar). No progress wheel or percentage.

#32 ·
Done. Thanks for the suggestion.

#34 · (Edited)
At least in Europe the map 1176 is causing problems in some cars and/or regions. Either traffic sign recognition and/or RTTI do not work (correctly). Volvo insiders announced a bug free version after week 8.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
I see TJ 31543 that came out on Feb. 8 to correct Sensus rebooting. This might relate to the previous Sensus re-booting issue that some have experienced. The TJ references week 8 as being a production fix. Not sure if it is related to Map 1176, the Sensus issue, or a combination. I am not having any issues with sign recognition, RTTI or Sensus. The TJ says in part:

New IHU software, "CMQ IHU FIX," has been created that will improve the IHU stability. These SPs can be used until this IHU software can be integrated with the Total Upgrade software packages that are planned for week 8, 2017.
1. Perform Total Upgrade software as per TJ 31543 before download of the CMQ IHU FIX SP.
2. Download the appropriate CMQ IHU FIX Software Product:
XC90: SP 31682877
S90, V90CC: SP 31682451
Unless you are having issues, I would think twice about running out to have the interim fix installed. Week 8 is what a week away and then the Total Software Upgrade should include the permanent fix. This Important Note is worth reading about the interim fix:
It will not be possible to download/install any new apps from the in-vehicle Download Center once the fix software is installed. However, apps that are already installed beforehand will work as usual.
Note: IHU means Infotainment Head Unit (a/k/a Sensus (tm)). :beer:

P.S. I don't want to derail the original topic so I will this and more information to the Sensus rebooting thread.

#35 ·
I will wait until my dealer definitely can confirm, that he can solve my RTTI issue (which appeared with the 1176 map update).
But he told me, that he had several cars this week with RTTI issues including the own test drive cars. They informed Volvo and asked for a solution.
But it's strange to drive without RTTI now, as I really got used to it since June last year.

#38 ·
Hi,

do you have any news regarding the update that fixes RTTI problems ?
I have just recently upgraded to 1176 and RTTI is missing some streets and some are displayed but in one direction only.

Also, which European country are you in ? I am in Slovak Republic.

#36 · (Edited)
I just installed the Voice Control update version 31466196AA and entire US Map version 1186. Following are detailed instructions. The two processes are almost identical. I've had successful and failed updates in the past, so my recommendations are based on those experiences.

For US updates, start by navigating to the following website and either click on the link for the voice control update or the appropriate map update. The voice and map updates must be performed separately - finish installing one in the car before erasing the thumb drive and starting the second. In my description below it may sound like I'm doing them simultaneously, but that's just because I didn't want to list all of the steps a second time. Previously, both updates could be simultaneously loaded on a thumb drive and installed in sequence, but that must have caused problems and now Volvo has broken them up.:
http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9378

I believe that FAT32, exFAT or NTFS formatted thumb drives will work. I used a 64GB thumb drive formatted in exFAT and a Windows PC. I believe that Volvo dealers only install the regional maps - probably because it's faster. So if you want the entire US map you will have to update it yourself.

1. Make sure all files have been deleted from the thumb drive and that it's formatted as FAT32, exFAT or NTFS. If you aren't sure how it's formatted, you can re-format it by right-clicking on the thumb drive icon in Windows Explorer and selecting "Format", which will also erase all of the files on the thumb drive.

2. Although the Voice Control update is only 8GB, you will need a 64GB thumb drive for the entire US map update.

3. Connect the empty thumb drive to your PC and click the appropriate download link from the Volvo web page. Note that the first file that downloads is an installer - not the update files. You need to save the installer program to your desktop - don't save it to the thumb drive.

4. Double-click the Sensus_Update installer icon on your desktop to launch the installer application. Note that different installer applications are required for the map vs. the voice control updates. Once you are finished with one update, you can delete that installer and download the other one to your desktop to start the second update.

5. Choose "New Download", "USB" installation, navigate to the thumb drive and select it. Note that all files should be installed at the thumb drive's root level - do not install them inside of another folder.

6. Wait for all files to download. It took about 20 minutes for the voice control files to download to my thumb drive and two hours for the entire US map data. Click the "Finish" button and close the program.

7. Re-open the installer program and select "Check Download" or "Verify" depending on the program.

8. Navigate to the thumb drive and select it. Wait for the program to verify the files. Note: I'm not sure if verifying the files is really necessary, but it only takes a few seconds to verify the voice control files and a few minutes to verify the map files.

9. Select "Finish", close the program and eject the thumb drive properly (click on the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" button in the lower right hand corner of the desktop).

10. The voice control update takes about 10 minutes to install in the car and the entire US map data takes about 30 minutes (at least that's how long my updates took - others have reported longer times). You can install an update while driving or while sitting in your car with the engine off. I installed both updates with the ignition turned off and the driver's door open. If the engine is off, the Sensus screen will dim every three minutes and you have to touch it to keep it awake. At 14 minutes there will be a power conservation message where you need to select "continue" to keep Sensus turned on. Keep in mind that Sensus will turn off and the update will be interrupted if you turn off the ignition and then open the driver's door. If you are installing an update while driving and reach your destination before the update has finished, then open the driver's door before you turn off the ignition to prevent Sensus from going to sleep. Supposedly the updates will resume automatically after Sensus goes to sleep and then wakes up again, but in my experience that's when an error is most likely to occur so now I try to prevent any interruptions during the updating process and keep Sensus awake during the entire update.

11. When you're ready to begin the installation, wait for Sensus to boot up and then insert the thumb drive into the USB port underneath the arm rest. Sensus should recognize the files and begin updating after you confirm your intention to replace the existing data. To check whether or not the voice control update is complete, press the tab icon at the top edge - middle of the screen to get to the Settings screen. If only the voice control updating message is displayed, then the process is ongoing. It will not show a % complete message for the voice control update. When the voice control update is finished, a second message will appear on the same screen stating that it has finished. Only then should you remove the thumb drive from the USB port. IMPORTANT - do not remove the thumb drive until you are certain that the update is complete. Even if the update looks like it has hung up, DO NOT remove the thumb drive until you're sure that it's complete. I removed my thumb drive during a map update that got hung up and it required a visit to my dealer to fix the problem. Meanwhile, maps, CarPlay and speed limit sign recognition were offline. Fortunately, the map update does give you a % complete status on the home screen, so you can verify that progress is being made for the map update. If either update finishes without you noticing, you can check the Settings screen to see a message stating that it's complete. At that point, it's safe to remove the thumb drive.

12. Once the update is complete and you've removed the thumb drive, turn off the car, exit, close the door and lock it. Wait a few seconds to make sure Sensus goes to sleep. The voice control update should be ready to go immediately after installation, but the map update needs the final Sensus reboot to finish. When the map update is finally complete after the Sensus reboot there will be a message on the Settings screen confirming it.

One final recommendation I would make is to buy a short USB extension cable to help protect the car's USB port which seems to be very fragile. You leave the short extension cable plugged into the car all the time and plug everything into the other end of the extension cable. It's much easier to verify the orientation of the USB connection this way, and if you break the extension cable's port it's cheap and easy to replace it. My car's USB port broke even though we've been very careful with it, and another SwedeSpeed member experienced the same failure. Here is the extension cable I purchased from Amazon:

StarTech.com 6-Inch USB 3.0 Extension Adapter USB 3.0 Port Saver Cable, Black (USB3EXT6INBK)

#49 ·
Supposedly the updates will resume automatically after Sensus goes to sleep and then wakes up again, but in my experience that's when an error is most likely to occur so now I try to prevent any interruptions during the updating process and keep Sensus awake during the entire update.
+1

I let the car shut down during the map update and I came back to the "Nav Unavailable - Insert USB" message - even though I had not removed the USB drive. Removing and verifying the download with the Sensus update application seemed to solve the problem, but then again it could also be that I had the car shut down for an even longer amount of time.

#37 ·
1176 Fixed the problem with address entry in Slovak and Czech Republic

Map verion 1176 has finally removed the special street address numbers in the form of XXXX/YY, and thus fixed the problem which caused that it was not possible to directly enter the house number, forcing the driver to scroll through the typically very long list of numbers. This applies to Slovak and Czech Republic, other countries probably not affected.

Unfortunately, at the same time, it has re-introduced an old problem with RTTI (Real time traffic information) not being displayed correctly. At some streets it only displays traffic in one direction, at some streets where the traffic was displayed correctly with the previous verion (1160 in my case) it does not display any traffic at all.

#40 · (Edited)
Roadmap update info is now posted on the UK site. I am updated the original post #1. Versions vary between 1180 and 1182 depending on the market.

Oops, hold the phone: I started downloading, but the download label says 1176 (not 1182) - so not sure if the download itself has been posted yet, It could possibly be in progress.

You may want to wait until tomorrow (which could be Friday or Saturday depending where you are on the globe).

BTW: If you are in NA, you may need to download from U.K. Site at least until US/CA sites are updated. See Post #1. No voice control update yet.

#42 ·
Yes, indeed. The download files that I am seeing are NA_907_1176 and EU_904_1176 even the website indicates 1182 for both. I suppose we just need to wait a bit as the webpage update may have been updated and pushed out ahead of the actual downloads being available. I sent off an email to VolvoCare for those of us sitting at the "edge of our seats."