SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Creating your own driver profile (to be utilized via Individual Drive Mode)

76K views 76 replies 45 participants last post by  tucker22814 
#1 · (Edited)
I was going to post this in one of the start/stop threads but realizing that this is not about start/stop only, I chose to create a new thread.

Here is how to create your own profile which offers a degree of customization with regards to the way the steering wheel feels, the drivertrain behavior, suspension settings, start/stop, etc.

For example, I have customized my car to drive (when I choose the Individual mode via the drive mode selector, in the center console) in Comfort mode, medium steering wheel force, suspension lowered. Which means, I do not have to drive in Dynamic mode or exceed 55 mph if I prefer to drive with the air suspension in its lowest setting.

So, here it goes:

Go to "SETTINGS"
Go to "MY CAR"
Go to "INDIVIDUAL DRIVE MODE"
from there, see the submenu that offers the following customizations:
"PRESET MODE" (Eco, Comfort or Dynamic)
"DRIVER DISPLAY"" (Eco, Comfort or Dynamic)
"STEERING FORCE" (Low, Medium or Dynamic)
"POWERTRAIN CHARACTERISTICS" (Eco, Comfort or Dynamic)
"BRAKE CHARACTERISTICS" (Normal or Dynamic)
"SUSPENSION CONTROL" (Eco, Comfort or Dynamic)
Below these, there are two boxes you can select:
"ECO CLIMATE" (the default setting is that the box is unchecked)
"START/STOP" (the default setting is that the box is checked)

Once you have finished with the customization steps described above, exit out of the entire menu and go back to SETTINGS
From there, go to "SYSTEM"
Go to "Driver Profile"
You can either "CREATE YOUR OWN" or "MODIFY" one of the default profiles[
Whatever customizing you have done, it will be saved under anew profile or after you finish editing an already existing one. You can name the profile whatever you want so that you know it is your own.

Keep in mind that when you switch profiles (let's say you do that manually for someone else or some other person within your household has unlocked the car with his/her key, which is tied to a different profile than yours) it will take a good minute or so before all the settings in Sensus are switched to those within your profile.

I hope this helps new owners, primarily.

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice post, Yannis. Tremendously helpful!

#5 ·
Thanks Yannis. Do you also need to tick the box at the top to enable individual driver profiles.

#8 ·
Here is how to create your own profile which offers a degree of customization with regards to the way the steering wheel feels, the drivertrain behavior, suspension settings, start/stop, etc.

Keep in mind that when you switch profiles (let's say you do that manually for someone else or some other person within your household has unlocked the car with his/her key, which is tied to a different profile than yours) it will take a good minute or so before all the settings in Sensus are switched to those within your profile.

I noticed that this thread has been edited, and at first I thought you could tie INDIVIDUAL DRIVE MODE to the KEY used for a Driver Profile... My impression was that I would be able to jump in my car with the KEY associated with my profile and have the car AUTOMATICALLY switch to my individual drive mode. Unfortunately, this is not the case (or at least is not working in my car). I have my own Individual Drive Mode created, I have a driver profile created, and I have saved everything to my key.

However, when I go to start up the car with the associated KEY, it just doesn't switch to the Individual Drive mode. I have been unable to find any VOLVO documentation showing exactly how to save the Individual Drive mode to the key. Previously, when I read this before it was edited, I thought this could be achieved. Now that I have attempted it, and since I can't find anything from Volvo on how to actually do it, I'm wondering if it is possible and if I may have a software glitch from my recent updates?

#15 ·
However, when I go to start up the car with the associated KEY, it just doesn't switch to the Individual Drive mode. I have been unable to find any VOLVO documentation showing exactly how to save the Individual Drive mode to the key. Previously, when I read this before it was edited, I thought this could be achieved. Now that I have attempted it, and since I can't find anything from Volvo on how to actually do it, I'm wondering if it is possible and if I may have a software glitch from my recent updates?
At this point, what I miss is the possibility to have the Individual mode as default.
As far I know, when setting the Individual mode, you may choose the default drive mode but only the three options eco/confort/dynamic, therefore there is no possibility to have the Individual mode as default.
I understand the only way is to push the (nice) wheel knob and select the individual mode every time I start the car. Of course I can live with this, but, as you say, connecting the Drive Mode to the key would be sure better.

#9 ·
Just found it... Wow, this disappointing: http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9693/~/what-is-driver-profile-and-how-do-i-use-it?

WHY WOULD CONNECTING "DRIVE MODE" DIRECTLY TO THE KEY VIA "DRIVER PROFILE" BE SUCH A SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT (you may ask)?
Because if you are a regular driver of your car ALL of the other settings remain in place next time you drive the car anyway. There is little convenience to the full time driver of the car with "Driver Profiles". What is the one setting that doesn't persist from your last drive?
INDIVIDUAL DRIVE MODE!
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

#10 ·
I was going to post this in one of the start/stop threads but realizing that this is not about start/stop only, I chose to create a new thread.

For example, I have customized my car to drive (when I choose the Individual mode via the drive mode selector, in the center console) in Comfort mode, medium steering wheel force, suspension lowered. Which means, I do not have to drive in Dynamic mode or exceed 55 mph if I prefer to drive with the air suspension in its lowest setting.

So, here it goes:

Go to "SETTINGS"
Go to "MY CAR"

Once you have finished with the customization steps described above, exit out of the entire menu and go back to SETTINGS
Go to "Driver Profile"
Whatever customizing you have done, it will be saved under anew profile or after you finish editing an already existing one. You can name the profile whatever you want so that you know it is your own.

I thought that lowered suspension means less "cushioning" travel of the suspension and therefore ride cannot be a COMFORT mode one. Sounds like a contradiction in terms. Is the car still and really comfortable at lowered suspension?

Thanks

#14 ·
In theory, yes, you are correct. However, "comfort" is a relative and highly subjective term.

For me, comfort setting on the air suspension, translates to "floaty". Not bad at all but not the way I want to drive and the way I am accustomed when driving during my daily schedule. On the other hand, I do not require the engine to be in Dynamic all day long and, despite some people's opinions here, I like the start/stop to be functional when I am stopped at a light for at least 30 seconds or longer.

With that, the Individual Profile works perfect for me; Comfort mode for the engine and Dynamic setting for the suspension which allows for a sportier (but not uncomfortable) feel.

The car does feel very good and not harsh with its suspension lowered; it has the 20" wheels.

In a couple of weeks, I will be transitioning to a T8 R-design that will have the 22" wheels; I will let you know whether or not there will be a difference.

#12 ·

So, here it goes:

Go to "SETTINGS"
Go to "MY CAR"

Go to "Driver Profile"

Thanks. Very helpful [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

#16 · (Edited)
I assume that Dynamic suspension means the car is it its lowest driving position.
Perhaps it will still go lower at higher speed.
I do hope that the Dynamic suspension mode will still offer reasonable comfort on 19" wheels.
I would also like to know the height of the car when in Comfort and Dynamic mode and also
when in "easy in/out" position. Unfortunately, I can't find the numbers :(
The drive mode attached to the key would be nice. If the car would start up in the same mode
as when it was shut down would also be nice, at least if the S/S setting is also remembered.
Zahra

#17 ·
Wow, thank you very much for sharing this helpful tip with us!!! Did the on/off "start/stop" setting actually saved to your profile and remembers it every time you startup your car? If it does, then it's a This promising workaround to finally disable the "start/stop" feature :)

:partywave:

#18 ·
Did the on/off "start/stop" setting actually saved to your profile and remembers it every time you startup your car?
Unfortunately, the answer is no. It seems Volvo has made a conscious decision to never allow the vehicle to be started with the start/stop feature turned off. I'm guessing that's why you are not allowed link a specific drive mode to your key.

#21 ·
My understanding is that Volvo leaves start/stop as the permanent default option is because it helps to bump up the car's official mpg estimates a little bit. And you can't count any mileage savings from start/stop if you give drivers a way to permanently disable it....

It matters because, in the US, at any rate, there are increasingly stiff "average" mpg figures that mfg's have to meet across their entire fleet, so even fractional improvements in mpg for each model they sell helps them meet these overall standards.

This is my understanding of the law, anyway-- others might know better.

#54 ·
Strange, I've kinda disabled that along with the auto breaks.
I don't get those features working unless I go to eco drive mode.

On my defaults they are disabled.
Might wanna check your default settings.

On a side-note i found that, if you have some issues with the infotainment system or profiles.
Do a factory reset for everything.
Delete drivers profiles
And redo everything again.

Had an issue with HUD maps not being synchronized with the central infotainment screen and it solved the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
I do not believe the two are connected. Use your own key fob and tie that to your preferred seat setting.

#29 ·
I know I'm not the only one who has a wife who also drives the XC90. When she gets in, she expects the driver profile to switch to her's, as well as the seat settings to change to her's. We are seeing inconsistencies constantly (oxymoron?) where when she gets in, her profile loads, but the seat settings (sometimes, often) go to mine. Then, I'll get in a couple days later, the profile recognized me, but the seat settings (sometimes, mostly) stay on her's. Are we required to hit the memory settings on the door every time a different driver gets in?

We've tried locking on exit with one key, then unlocking on entry with the other. No dice. Seems that the Bluetooth phone pairing is also a victim feature here, as those don't always change with Profiles either.

When I get in, I automatically want my Profile, my seat settings and my phone to all know that I'm the one driving. Same for her. What is the sequence here to make this simple and automated?

Too much to ask?

#31 ·
I know I'm not the only one who has a wife who also drives the XC90. When she gets in, she expects the driver profile to switch to her's, as well as the seat settings to change to her's. We are seeing inconsistencies constantly (oxymoron?) where when she gets in, her profile loads, but the seat settings (sometimes, often) go to mine. Then, I'll get in a couple days later, the profile recognized me, but the seat settings (sometimes, mostly) stay on her's. Are we required to hit the memory settings on the door every time a different driver gets in?

We've tried locking on exit with one key, then unlocking on entry with the other. No dice. Seems that the Bluetooth phone pairing is also a victim feature here, as those don't always change with Profiles either.

When I get in, I automatically want my Profile, my seat settings and my phone to all know that I'm the one driving. Same for her. What is the sequence here to make this simple and automated?

Too much to ask?
Also IDM.

I prefer mine on Eco everytime. It's annoying to always need to remember to change drive modes everytime I get in the car. Seems like a simple request too.

#26 ·
I think I'm clearly missing something here... I am set up as the Guest Profile now, but when I go through the steps above and try to edit Profile 1, it defaults to factory settings where I don't even see SiriusXM radio as an audio option. Do I have to reset everything?

#34 ·
Setting Driver Profile

XC90 2016 Inscription
Getting the Driver profile to "save" what I'd like normal is either not working or I cannot follow directions.
I understand the Volvo terms of personal, combined, and global (or close enough)
The on line owner's manual do not reflect the screens/displays in my car (typically page 112 "driver profile"
I recognize different versions can exist and documentation can be later.

I would like 360 degree when back up, not the other thing. I select it.
That is not the problem

"protect profile" as an option is the problem. AND the resulting message "save ..." when the profile is protected!
So either I am really dyslexic or there is a confusion n the language.

I will un-protect the driver profile, change something not global, and then protect it from being changed. And it does not "take"

Where and in which manual are the steps to modify a driver profile and then save it where save can be to either the profile, the key, or the usb stick?
if it is not in any manual does one know the no thought process steps?

#35 ·
So I finally created my own individual setting. I've always wanted to find a way to lower the vehicle while keeping it in hybrid mode.

Here's the problem I'm having. I was able to select my individual mode from the wheel after saving my settings, all good there. The problem is, the next time I turn on the car I can no longer select individual with the wheel. I have to go back into the settings, check off individual, configure my settings again and save them, then I can select individual mode again with the wheel. I have to do this every time after I've parked and turned off the car.

Is anyone else having this issue?

#36 ·
I don't think this is correct. According to the manual, and my own experience, personal (ie, not global) settings are saved to the active profile: "Any settings set prior to creating a permanent profile will automatically be saved to the Guest Profile. "

Therefore, customize after you've created a profile.

This post has been deleted
#42 ·
Is there any difference between the eco display and the comfort display? I don't see one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes- the ECO display mode tach shows you your actual economy vs. some "ideal economy," both related to revs or manifold pressure, or something. The ECO mode also shows if your car is in coast mode (e.g., drive train totally disengaged)

#48 ·
So I have the individual modes programmed to key fobs. However, I can't get my seat/mirror memory programmed.

I've tried:
- Unlocking the car using keyfob 1
- Saving the desired settings to M1
- Having a profile created, with 'save to key' enabled

How do I save M1 to keyfob1, and M2 to keyfob2 (my wife's)?

#49 ·
The seat/mirror memory buttons are separate from the driver profile system. There is no way to have the buttons change their memories based on a driver profile/key fob. The settings saved in a memory slot are persistent regardless of profile or key fob used.

#52 ·
If VOLVO don't want us to use the individual drive mode, is it possible to "for example" if you push the drive mode roller twice to let it go to individual drive mode ? or would this be to easy for their customers...
its all just software, it easy to do...

instead of pushing the drive mode roller, rolling the drive mode roller and pushing the drive mode roller again ?

BTW, did VOLVO ever answered to all these requests/questions ?