SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

skywolf's wagon hut

90K views 1K replies 75 participants last post by  skywolf 
#1 · (Edited)
It finally happened.

After being subjected to all the R fanatics on here, seeing many Rs and watching from afar how much fun other folks were having with them... I started thinking about buying an R ... but my standards are very high so I tend to look for cars that have either been meticulously cared for or barely used. That really made buying an R difficult because they're rare in the first place and the good Rs are owned by YOU PEOPLE and you're attached to them and don't want to give them up.

It's difficult to find good clean barely used examples of XCs and tons of those were sold. So when it came to the R it was really a waiting game, the right one had to show up. Unfortunately, it showed up at a really bad time. Despite that I reached out to the seller and we went back and forth about it. He sent lots of photos and answered all my questions. I don't think I started off with the intention of buying it, it was not a good time to take on ANOTHER car. I had to make a decision, afterall an R in this condition that has been stored in a collector's garage and pampered even when not being driven wasn't going to come around again, if ever. So.. I went to the next step and had it deposited at the local Volvo dealer for a full end to end inspection. Of course, it passed with flying colors, they knew about this R already and were actually sad to hear that it was going to be sold and they would probably never see it again.

And so.. last Friday I drove to Central Virginia to lay eyes on the 2006 Magicama VR GT with 25k miles on it. Typically, sellers make all sorts of statements about how awesome a car is and you just brush it off. This car really was nearly new and blew me away. As much as I really didn't need ANOTHER car. I made the call and handed the huge check over. Because of the condition I didn't want to drive it down on the freeways. This R has never seen even a rock chip lol. So I hired Passport Transport to bring it down to Atlanta.

They picked it up from the seller on Wednesday evening and by Thursday afternoon were on my street ready for me to come get it.

I've never had a car transported before so this was quite the show, as were the ferraris and porsches buried deep inside. I wanted the Corvette too but the driver was bigger than me. He absolutely loved the R and kept raving about the seats.

The R was dropped off close to 4 PM so I still had time to run and get emissions and the tag. Unfortunately Georgia limits tags to 7 characters to my attempt to get MAGICAMA failed. The tax clerk thought I was into Magic the Gathering when I asked for the plate.

This R joins a family of Volvo wagons which includes a 2006 XC70 (it thinks it's an R, has a wing and boost gauge), 2007 XC70 and a 2013 XC70 as well as some non-Volvos; a 2011 Tacoma and a 2011 Mazda3. All of which are pretty low mileage and pampered. Because of the number of cars always around none of them gain very many miles. I keep my signature up to date with what's at my house, including a luxury car subscription service I have been toying with for a while. That will end at the end of September though because holy crap there are too many vehicles here.

The R will always be garaged and eventually will be moved to the far back of the garage which I call the cave. It's completely underground and stays around 68 degrees all year round. Additionally, when not being driven it will be stored in an inflatable CarCapsule because why not?

It did come out several times yesterday evening for some spirited driving. It's an absolute blast to drive and the seats are amazing. The only problem is that damn turn radius! That's going to take some time to get used to. The Magic Blue really is magic too, depending on the light it really almost changes colors. I love it!

I'll update this thread as the R integrates into it's new family. Right now the other wagons are a little nervous because one has to go. That's a decision I am dreading making.

The vehicles I have owned and currently own:

YMMVINPURCHASESALE
2006 VOLVO XC70YV4SZ592161243736
Jun-14
-
2007 VOLVO XC70YV4SZ592671288088
May-16
-
2011 TOYOTA TACOMA5TFTX4CN0BX008830
May-11
May-22
2017 MAZDA MIATAJM1NDAM77H0109753
Jan-18
Apr-21
2018 TOYOTA SIENNA5TDYZ3DCXJS950749
Oct-21
-
2018 VOLVO V90CCYV4102NK5J1027004
Mar-18
Jun-20
2019 VOLVO V60YV1A22SLXK2326391
Dec-21
Nov-22
2021 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE1C4RJFLT0MC509412
Dec-20
Dec-21
2022 MAZDA MIATAJM1NDAM73N0505786
Sep-22
-
1990 VOLVO 740YV1FA875XL1301620
Jul-18
Dec-18
1993 MAZDA MIATAJM1NA3517P1408148
Feb-12
Apr-13
2005 VOLVO V70YV1SW612X52462534
Jun-14
Sep-14
2005 VOLVO XC70YV1SZ592151196834
May-13
Jan-14
2006 VOLVO V70RYV1SJ527062573730
Aug-17
Feb-18
2011 MAZDA 3JM1BL1W53B1365729
Feb-11
Jul-18
2013 VOLVO XC70YV4952BZ0D1152146
Sep-12
Jan-18
2019 HONDA PILOT5FNYF5H52KB046898
Jun-20
Dec-20
2019 VOLVO XC90YV4A22PK2K1435551
Nov-18
Jun-19
2022 VOLVO V90CCYV4A22NLXL1113429
Jun-20
-
2012 SUBARU OUTBACK4S4BRDLC5C2226468
Dec-11
Jul-13
2010 HONDA ODYSSEY5FNRL3H74AB030977
Sep-15
Feb-14

See less See more
#2 ·
It is awesome to see that you finally have added an R to your fleet! All of your vehicles are so clean! It sucks that you will have to get rid of one car to make room for your new one but this beauty will make it worth it. I can certainly relate to the struggle of finding a clean and maintained R. I hope to add an R to my garage in the future as well. Enjoy:beer:

#3 ·
You found yourself an absolute gem sir. I'm glad you are enjoying it. Congratulations on the vehicle. It looks pristine.

Welcome to the daRk side : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
My house is built into a large hill. The garage goes back all the way into the hill which puts the rear parking spot underground by about 7-10 feet surrounded by concrete. There's also a strategic vent located back there that allows A/C into the back of the garage.

#6 ·
Quite incredible to find a cool car that is 12 model years old, clean and super low mileage, unmodified. As a kid, I always dreamed of re-manufacturing cars that they didn't make anymore, and unique ones to boot. You didn't have to do that, but did pay dearly. HOWEVER - this is not the typical new car that just any bloke could find on hundreds of lots across the world. It's way better than those subscriptions you were toying with, and now you know it.

Again, congrats. Glad you've ended up with it, as opposed to another who wouldn't obsess as much over the pristine condition. Wait - do I see a smudge from greasy fingers already? :D

#8 ·
Quite incredible to find a cool car that is 12 model years old, clean and super low mileage, unmodified. As a kid, I always dreamed of re-manufacturing cars that they didn't make anymore, and unique ones to boot. You didn't have to do that, but did pay dearly. HOWEVER - this is not the typical new car that just any bloke could find on hundreds of lots across the world. It's way better than those subscriptions you were toying with, and now you know it.

Again, congrats. Glad you've ended up with it, as opposed to another who wouldn't obsess as much over the pristine condition. Wait - do I see a smudge from greasy fingers already? :D
lol, there's a number of smudges! I will be giving it a bath this weekend. Yea, to quote another member on here, "the used car factory isn't taking new orders"... so this is the next best option lol. And yes, as you can imagine this R cost a hefty premium but I'm ok with that. This is what I wanted.

#10 ·
Awesome to see it is finally home!

#12 ·
Thanks. Now I need to read up on caring for Atacama leather..

#11 ·
Congrats on your new purchase. With low mileage like that I am curious if the timing belt has ever been changed. If not, that's something to consider.

#13 ·
PO did timing and aux belt. He maintained it incredibly well. It was always parked on carpet, plugged into a trickle charger. Stabil was used when it sat. Washed gently and blow dried. Only fully synthetic oil lol.

#14 ·
This R was serviced at our dealership, and it is everything that Skywolf said, has to be the cleanest R I have ever seen, and the color/interior combination is perfect. Enjoy it, you got yourself a really nice R! Btw, I'm sure you already know this, but the timing belt was done very recently, probably within the last couple months.

#15 ·
Thanks Dave, yes the paperwork was in the glovebox, both timing and aux. I'm sure y'all will miss seeing it come in. It went to a good home though. Now I just have to introduce my dealer to it..

I got to check out the other cars up there as well, that was a treat.

#16 ·
Design Competition:

Atacama Leather Driving Costume

I've watched Skywolf clean the inside of one of his wagons. Obsessive is an understatement.

Since "We at Volvo have gone to great pains to provide you an optimized seating experience. Proper care includes refraining from sitting on the seats." or something to that effect, he needs a solution.

If normal clothes can't touch the leather, Skywolf needs an R suit.

Integrated vacuum nozzles? Automatic leather conditioner dispensing system? Maybe a hovercraft motor so he doesn't actually touch the leather?

#23 ·
I've watched Skywolf clean the inside of one of his wagons. Obsessive is an understatement.
The Magicama's first fuel up in Georgia:

Always use a glove in case someone spills gasoline on the handle. Don't want that on the leather!

#20 ·
And despite low mileage and carpet, temp controlled environment for storage, check the tire age. Nothing like "several times yesterday evening for some spirited driving" and having a blowout and ruining your fun. Sure you know this already, but it will look like this below... First two are week of the year, and then second two are year.

#22 ·
I am going to replace them anyway. Waiting for a new jack to get in so I can get the wheels off. I always bring the wheels to the tire shop, not the car..

#28 ·
Please tell me that's not diesel. Around here the green pumps are always diesel :eek:

I always set the gas cap on the gas pump. Not sure what happened to the tethers on my 850s but I like it better not banging into the side of the car anyway.

#29 ·
I got a diesel R, you didnt know?

Nah, BP station. Handles are green.

So it came with this Atacama leather sample

What's that for? I might use part of it for cleaning tests.

#39 ·
I use the woolite and warm water on my gobi and it works very well. Frankly, I wouldn't use that on your car at this point - it looks incredibly clean already from the pics posted. You may want to condition it with something though.

#40 ·
For some reason applying conditioner seems wrong without doing some kind of cleaning first.

#43 ·
First outing jitters. I'm close to the island and away from others but the appetizer hasn't come and I've already gone out to check on it!

#59 ·
My palms are nervously sweaty just seeing it in a parking lot. I maybe drive mine once a week, hardly ever to places that I'll be parked for long periods of time, while also parking as far away from everyone as humanly possible. I've still managed to collect some minor parking lot blemishes and one small ding.

#46 ·
You have no idea. I came out and the skies west were darkening.

I took home straight for the garage with five minutes to spare. Going to the store now but we are taking the Mazda lol.